OT-2004 diesel ram power steering pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-2004 diesel ram power steering pump

Anyone replace or rebuild a PS pump on a 3rd Gen Ram? Mine is leaking and I don't know if I should pay for an OEM pump or get a parts store brand.
    Thanks

Im pretty sure I did a 98 many years ago, don't they run the brake booster off of the same pump due to not having a throttle plate and no vacuum? pretty sure we just tossed in an aftermarket...

Comment

Check at RockAuto dot Com, usually plenty of options, new or re manufactured.

Comment

x2 check on RockAuto. That said, I've had good luck with NAPA's top-of-the-line parts, avoiding Autozone like the plague.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I only go to Autozone for their sales on oil. For parts I usually go to Napa. My son use Rock Auto all the time and has only had one part they sent that was wrong.

Comment

The closest I've ever come to rebuilding a power steering pump is swapping pulleys off the old one to a store bought rebuild. For me it's just not worth messing around with the insides of the pump. If yours is leaking but otherwise operable I would give it a thorough cleaning and then after a short run look for any loose fittings that could be a simple source of the leak.

x3 on the Rock Auto option. They've got good prices and a clear selection.

Comment

I'm assuming this is the belt driven pump and not the earlier gear driven Saginaw pump.
              Where is the leak coming from?
              Most likely the front seal behind the pulley.
              If it were me I'd just change the 2 or 3 dollar oil seal if that is where the leak is and the pump is otherwise in good working order.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                I'm assuming this is the belt driven pump and not the earlier gear driven Saginaw pump.
                That rings a bell --- was that on the 98? i remember it was not "typical" in all kinds of ways,,, think it was gear driven

did it control brake boost too? nothing like a total failure where you have both power steering and brakes go at the same time ehh?

although - at least they can stop if the throttle cable sticks,,, that same year did have a cable that went under the hood - but as you know did not control a throttle plate, just a pot,

I guess they got a little more refined later on and started figuring out they could just skip to the pedal assembly...
                Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 04-01-2021, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I've replaced the main seal on a PS pump before. Bit of a faff to get it out, but a cheap fix.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

That rings a bell --- was that on the 98? i remember it was not "typical" in all kinds of ways,,, think it was gear driven

did it control brake boost too? nothing like a total failure where you have both power steering and brakes go at the same time ehh?

although - at least they can stop if the throttle cable sticks,,, that same year did have a cable that went under the hood - but as you know did not control a throttle plate, just a pot,

I guess they got a little more refined later on and started figuring out they could just skip to the pedal assembly...
                    I think they went to a belt driven P/S pump on the Cummins around 2002. The older gear driven Saginaw pumps were pretty fool proof after decades of production and use on just about every make of domestic truck and auto. There are millions of these pumps in service since at least the early sixties.There are of course variations of the same basic pump to suit differing applications but probably the most common component in use across all domestic auto makers.

The P/S pump sat piggyback on the back end of the brake booster's vacuum pump, the two where easy to separate once the vacuum pump is unbolted from the accessory gear drive housing. A very heavy duty gear drive and drive dogs meant that drive failures where non-existent vs belt driven components. Very industrial in execution.
                    Each component although driven by the same gear, is completely on it's own so not very likely that both pumps would ever fail at the same time given the fact that the gear drive is larger than most transmission internals.

But yeah in the end money talks and belt drive is cheaper than gear drive.

Comment

Thanks Willy you refreshed my memory --- I knew they were connected and thought because of that they might be both hydraulic,,, Your a "Wiz" Kid :-) wealth of knowledge about all kinds of different vehicles...

I had to do an injection pump on that same vehicle --- gear driven, little bit of a pain but thing had 300,000 miles +

what great engines - was the 24 valve...

Comment

Yes I believe that 98 was the first year of the 24 valve, both it and the 12 valves are one of the great success stories in engine design.
                        Was reading in an industrial trade publication a few years ago that Cummins supplies over 900 OEMs with the "B" model engine. Unbelievable!
                        I've seen that engine in just about every conceivable application you can think of. Although I know there are hundreds more that I can't even imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                          Yes I believe that 98 was the first year of the 24 valve, both it and the 12 valves are one of the great success stories in engine design.
                          Was reading in an industrial trade publication a few years ago that Cummins supplies over 900 OEMs with the "B" model engine. Unbelievable!
                          I've seen that engine in just about every conceivable application you can think of. Although I know there are hundreds more that I can't even imagine.
                          If I ever got a motorhome that's the engine id want,,, heck probably make a great boat motor too... unbelievable the work they do and actually how efficient they are doing it...

Comment

From my reading I understand that the Napa pump is a Cardone unit. Same as sold by O'Reilly. I'm picking up a pump from O'Reilly today for MUCH less than Napa. I'd like to buy all of my parts from Napa because I know the owner and I I feel they generally have superior parts BUT Napa charges way more than most other parts stores.
                            The next issue is whether or not to use trans fluid or PS fluid when replacing (after a full flush). Lots of conflicting information.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                              From my reading I understand that the Napa pump is a Cardone unit. Same as sold by O'Reilly. I'm picking up a pump from O'Reilly today for MUCH less than Napa. I'd like to buy all of my parts from Napa because I know the owner and I I feel they generally have superior parts BUT Napa charges way more than most other parts stores.
                              The next issue is whether or not to use trans fluid or PS fluid when replacing (after a full flush). Lots of conflicting information.
                              It might be a case where NAPA's warranty is much better, or they made Cardone rebuild them to a better spec. I use NAPA parts in all my hydraulic clutches and haven't had a failure yet. They a nearly as good as OEM which is what I really want.

As far as fluid, I wouldn't run anything other than the PS fluid that the book calls for. I have this fear of swelling seals getting eaten, etc. if you run the wrong stuff.
                              Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 04-02-2021, 10:45 AM. Reason: sp
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X