Oil for 9x19 Spindle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil for 9x19 Spindle

What oil are you 9x19 - 9x20 lathe owners using in the spindle bearings and where do you purchase from? The book says ISO 32, but my local places do not carry.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

ISO32 is a very common hydraulic oil. Many spindles and machines specify a hydraulic oil which is a non detergent oil. My cnc lathe uses that for its spindle with a tank/pump and recirculating system. The term "hydraulic oil" throws people off thinking it is for use on hydraulics only, not true, its very commonly used in lots of different machinery with bearings and general purpose lubrication needs along with being non detergent. Place I worked years ago had many very large printing presses, they all used ISO32 hydraulic oil.

As for a source, most auto supplies, tractor supply, and lots more carry it. Once you look for ISO32 hydraulic oil you will find it all over.

Comment

Sparky completely anwsered that, very well. In my case I was dumb enough to mail-order a quart of Mobil Velocite #10 spindle oil.... which just happens to be a non-detergent ISO32 oil. A quart will last me a lifetime, though. Lesson learned, I could have just walked down the street to the auto parts store.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Velocite #10 is an ISO 22 viscosity so is a little thinner, but I agree spindle oil and hydraulic are interchangeable if the same iso....at least with the spindles and speeds our machines have. Both are just fairly pure mineral oil with some anti oxidants and rust inhibitors. I recently bought a gallon is Velocite #6, the right stuff for watch makers lathes....and man, they sure are proud of it! Could find hydraulic oil light enough (iso 10)
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
          ISO32 is a very common hydraulic oil. Many spindles and machines specify a hydraulic oil which is a non detergent oil. My cnc lathe uses that for its spindle with a tank/pump and recirculating system. The term "hydraulic oil" throws people off thinking it is for use on hydraulics only, not true, its very commonly used in lots of different machinery with bearings and general purpose lubrication needs along with being non detergent. Place I worked years ago had many very large printing presses, they all used ISO32 hydraulic oil.

As for a source, most auto supplies, tractor supply, and lots more carry it. Once you look for ISO32 hydraulic oil you will find it all over.
          Hydraulic oil for John Deere tractors is sold under their brand name Hy-Gard, which has a ISO spec between 46-68. Their Low-Viscocity Hy-Gard is ISO 32. It has been in use for decades in tractors with a common sump for both hydraulic functions and transmission lubrication. There are some additives for anti-wear, and to help make it compatible with the materials used on wet clutches and brakes. Works great on lathe spindles too.

Comment

Quite a bit of hydraulic oil does not specify the viscosity.... the "hydraulic jack oil" at Autozone or O-Reilly's does not, for instance. However, it is very thin and sloshes like water. Appears to be at least "SAE 10", but of course with no actual spec, you are on your own.
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Use the Spindle Oil Constant 3.5555
              9" lathe X 3.555 = 31.995, use 32 oil
              12" lathe X 3.555 = 42.66, use 42 oil

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                OK, I'll bite. Where is that from? Or did you just make it up?

Comment

Every single standard was created by someone.
                  Universal Constants are just as implied.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post

Hydraulic oil for John Deere tractors is sold under their brand name Hy-Gard, which has a ISO spec between 46-68. Their Low-Viscocity Hy-Gard is ISO 32. It has been in use for decades in tractors with a common sump for both hydraulic functions and transmission lubrication. There are some additives for anti-wear, and to help make it compatible with the materials used on wet clutches and brakes. Works great on lathe spindles too.
                    Thanks Tom. I do happen to have a quart of the Lo- Viscocity on my shelf from my John Deere days.

Comment

I would have a thought the John Deere oil would be more expensive than the Velocite
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post

OK, I'll bite. Where is that from? Or did you just make it up?
                        Its Bented BS, and yes I will be using the John Deere Hydraulic Oil I have on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
                          Thanks Tom. I do happen to have a quart of the Lo- Viscocity on my shelf from my John Deere days.
                          I've been meaning to try their corn head grease in bed. It's the only JD product I can afford (barely)
                          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                            I would have a thought the John Deere oil would be more expensive than the Velocite
                            The economics of scale. Keep in mind that on some of the larger machines it's not unusual to have reservoir capacities of 40 - 50 gallons. Running a few of those in your fleet and you might need to inventory close to 500 gallons of fluid. How much Velocite does the average user keep on hand?

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

I've been meaning to try their corn head grease in bed. It's the only JD product I can afford (barely)
                            Ummm......you want to try some of that grease where?

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post

Ummm......you want to try some of that grease where?
                              I think we might already have too much information.....😳
                              If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
                              British Columbia
                              Canada.

Comment

Working...
                              X