No announcement yet.

Repairing a small screw compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thickness of those end gaskets may figure in to rotor end clearances. Sullair screw machines adjust end clearances via gasket thickness, too thick and a small machine hurts in efficiency, too thin and interference causes heat, bigtime. Sullair sells especially formulated lube oil (24KT lube) for screw type compressors, about a thousand bucks per five gallon pail, contains glycol. At one time the lube was required along with scheduled maintenance to allow a 24 month warranty on the air end. Wrong lube oil, too much heat and the oil/air separator would combust to ash.

YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
      Thickness of those end gaskets may figure in to rotor end clearances. Sullair screw machines adjust end clearances via gasket thickness, too thick and a small machine hurts in efficiency, too thin and interference causes heat, bigtime. Sullair sells especially formulated lube oil (24KT lube) for screw type compressors, about a thousand bucks per five gallon pail, contains glycol. At one time the lube was required along with scheduled maintenance to allow a 24 month warranty on the air end. Wrong lube oil, too much heat and the oil/air separator would combust to ash.

YMMV
      That is why I was asking about the oil separator. I know how expensive the oil in the screw compressors can get. Also the tolerances are very strict or you get blow by and the air is unuasble as it overloads the separator.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

This compressor specifies Dextron 2 ATF. Easy.

Comment

Very cool tech Mr! As always. I am impressed... Yeah... Like I wasnt with the ESM... Nice work also. JR

Comment

What is your laser and how many watts? I believe your sequence of cuts backwards. Even milling I’d do all the bolt holes first, then the inside and finally the outside, otherwise things could move.

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
              What is your laser and how many watts? I believe your sequence of cuts backwards. Even milling I’d do all the bolt holes first, then the inside and finally the outside, otherwise things could move.
              This one: https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...r-laser-cutter

With paper there is usually enough vacuum to hold it down tight but this paper had some creases that would not let it sit flat. And I was too lazy to go and re-post it so I just cut and it came out fine. And the air jet is coaxial with the beam unlike some other lasers so it just tends to push the material down.

Comment

Got the seal, made the part. Installed and removed it three times to make adjustments, Its a shrink fit on the shaft because there is no room for an o-ring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	1938199 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1609.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	1938198

Put it all together and it works great. Once the panels on this thing is so quiet. My friend had a server on a cart next to it and you could clearly hear the server over the sound of the compressor. Which is good as this compressor is designed to run all the time and does not shut off on a pressure switch.

Oh, this is 5HP, not 3HP like I mentioned at the beginning.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Sullair portables include a screw machine which we would rent for three or four days of continuous, 'round the clock water well proving. Super design on sound shielding, baffling, absorption, won a bet one day. Fellow thought the machine was gasoline powered then found out it was powered by a Detroit V8 diesel (green grenade) at full tilt.

Comment

^ That's amazing as Detroit's are America's way of turning diesel fuel directly into noise.

Comment

The also keep dust down by oiling the ground.

Comment

Working...
                      X