Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question of etiquette - for the more experienced members!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeL46 View Post
    Well, we've heard one side of this. Do you always put the toilet seat down? If you use something in the kitchen, do you wash it and put it back where it belongs? Did you ever use her good vacuum cleaning out the car?

Tools, even the best ones are replaceable. Wives are not easily replaced. Ask yourself which one you would miss more, the tool or the wife and act accordingly.

I miss my wife and wish she was here to borrow my good tools. She died 5 weeks ago tomorrow.

Mike
    Yes, yes and no....but I get that's really not your point. Please don't mistake a bit of fun for a serious complaint. I would of course choose my wife over anything and everything. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

mattthemuppet Luckily nobody's found the nails but the best one I can remember in a similar vein happened to involve my wife (and two friends) way back in uni. They borrowed a cordless drill (Rawl plug and screw) to hang a picture. I went round to collect some days later and they handed me the drill. Where's the drill bit? They showed my the picture hanging on the wall....from the drill bit embedded in the wall. Apparently it got stuck and they couldn't get it out so they just hung the picture from it.
    Oh, and you missed out "never screwed" as a very real possibility in your list!

Comment

Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
      You know how if you have to borrow a tool, you make sure that you return it clean, serviceable and with as many if not more consumables (if applicable) as you were loaned it with?*
      Further that if someone borrows your tools, if they return them in an appalling state, they get put on a list**.
      Well, my question for the experience members is this: what happens when the person returning tools in a reprehensible state.....is your wife?!

*I have faith that your very membership of this forum means you're likely to share this ethos.
      **could be a blacklist, excommunicate list or hit list - depending on your disposition and the severity of the sin!
      Yes Sir... In Wife I trust. That being said.

This header of the post

A question of etiquette - for the more experienced members!

should have automatically kept me from replying due to my "On-Line" etiquit {sic}. And the lack of sometimes.

Loved your story and I dont lend tools to anyone but my Dad. And all my peeps know that. Keeps it simple.

My Wife, Bronwyn will ask where is such and such tool cause she knows the complex that is my garage. Its a mess.
      JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Not my wife, but a good friend- I got a reprimand one day when she said 'what, do you think I don't know how to use an allen wrench?'

I bought her a decent torque wrench as a gift- a Craftsman- and she politely accepted it with few words. Later I found out she already had a better one. I don't have to worry about her. We have great fun cruising tool stores- she'll say 'Darryl, look at this'- and then in a high pitched voice 'look how much they want for this piece of crap'. Then sometimes other people will come over and look at it too-

I got a shot one day (different girl) when I used a metal turner in a teflon frying pan. That was a shoe on the other foot-
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post

We have great fun cruising tool stores- she'll say 'Darryl, look at this'-
          Heck yeah, love that story. Its nice to have some Body... JR

Bronwyn and I coming up on 30 years married.

Comment

Grounds for divorce I'd think.

My "favourite" was when my nice 10mm split point cobalt drill had been used to drill a hole in a concrete wall. Words were spoken...

Ian
            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Depends on what "tool" you're talking about 😁

Comment

Let it go- of all the things that can destroy a relationship, this is one of the silliest. But what do I know? I've only been married 37 years.

Comment

My wife's father died when she was very young, and she grew up with a single mother in a household with NO tools, not even a screwdriver! She appreciates my substantial collection of tools, but will still mangle my favorite chisel to dig out and replace the old grout behind her kitchen sink. She is open to learning, though, and sharpening the chisel is a small price to pay for her willingness to do the grout job.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
                    Let it go- of all the things that can destroy a relationship, this is one of the silliest.
                    My thoughts exactly. Ir's not worth making a federal case over.

My most significant complaint deals with rolling up long extension cords after use. After a few gentle complaints from me about the snarls resulting from her rolls she now leaves them for me to roll up and put away. We're both happier now.
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Ha!

After my wife puts away a garden hose you’d assume a Boy Scout has been working on a merit badge in knot tying.

Comment

Learn to say one thing... NO...... it will help in some cases..

Comment

Originally posted by Moxiedad2001 View Post
                          My wife's father died when she was very young, and she grew up with a single mother in a household with NO tools, not even a screwdriver! She appreciates my substantial collection of tools, but will still mangle my favorite chisel to dig out and replace the old grout behind her kitchen sink. She is open to learning, though, and sharpening the chisel is a small price to pay for her willingness to do the grout job.
                          I love Her already.. Sounds like my wife Bronwyn , Strong Women is what you want. FYI JR

Comment

Risk management. What's worst a broken tool or marriage? Or in other words it's the cost of doing business. Andy
                            Andrew R Stewart
                            You Think too Much

Comment

Working...
                            X