Old Timer, not really OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Timer, not really OT

So, I noticed about a week ago, that my 20th anniversary here had came and went. If I remember, I signed up as soon as I noticed in the magazine the new forum was up and running. That's when I was pretty green in the machine shop hobby. I've never worked in a job shop, or manufacturing. I did spend 3 years in a Automotive Machine Shop, in the late 70's.

A couple recent threads about missing members, and what ever happened to someone got me to thinking about all the all the great people that I've met here. And the help offered to me. Thank you to all.

I'd like to offer a few thoughts that I have developed during my time here. The people who pay the bills here are a group of magazines who are dedicated to hobby types, and I thank them with sincerity. That being said, I really appreciate the pros who take the time to help out guys like me. BUT I've noticed there seems to be some bashing of non professionals. I don't think this belongs here. My opinion. But remember our sponsor, and what they're about. For some of you, it may vary. The arguments that generate many posts by several individuals who tend to duke it out to the last detail, I say, give it a rest! Offer your opinion for consideration. Then, let it go.

So, I guess it would be appropriate to mention a few names of members I have enjoyed over the years. I will mention those who no longer post. Forrest Addy. John Stevenson. Thrud. Jim (can't remember his last name, sorry) David Coffer. I know I'm leaving out too many great guys, so help me out and post some favorites of your own!
    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
    Oregon, USA

Agree 100 percent, Tim!

-js
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
      So, I guess it would be appropriate to mention a few names of members I have enjoyed over the years. I will mention those who no longer post. Forrest Addy. John Stevenson. Thrud. Jim (can't remember his last name, sorry) David Coffer. I know I'm leaving out too many great guys, so help me out and post some favorites of your own!
      Well thanks..

I was thinking about the day I made an account here. It was 1999, when I moved to this house. I was "Karkraphter" then.

And know I get to see my Heros, again. Yup, Im sheading some tears.....
      Last edited by JRouche; 04-08-2021, 02:35 AM.
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I just checked and I joined up Oct 1, 2002 so 18 1/2 years here. Sure doesn't seem that long.

I've learned a lot during that time, thanks to all the great people offering good advice.

Comment

Evan Williams is another. Haven't heard from Allister in some time either.
          Last edited by darryl; 04-05-2021, 12:02 AM.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I joined in 2007. I was on the board a lot then and received so much help and advice. Lately I rarely post but do come back to browse. There is an amazing amount of talent and knowledge in this community.

Comment

2006 for me, though I've been less active here since I lost my wife 5 years ago. I miss Sir John, and David Coffer/Ibewgypsie, Thrud had gone before I joined but was still a legend.
              I don't miss Evan for one second, or Old Tiffie, But others I still do miss. It felt more of a community then, and was definitely more fun.

Comment

Good post Tim

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
                Jim (can't remember his last name, sorry)
                Hannum?

He was one of the best imo, he's missed. Forrest I'm hoping he is ok, but am concerned. He's posted very infrequently on PM in the last year. He is also is one the best. Alistair had some serious health issues he'd reported on, and who is another that I hope is ok. Lazlo was another, a bit intense, but always positive and knew a lot....and he was young, where did he go?

Some I miss, some not so much so. In reflecting on that, there is a strong correlation (in mind anyway) on EQ and how much they're missed. So the moral of the story is we should work on our EQ's (yours truly included), i.e. be less about promoting your own ego and instead be more polite, pleasant, gentlemanly and kind to others if we want to be remembered fondly. There's an old self improvement exercise intended to get you focused on the important things in life that is around imagining your own funeral - who you'd hope would be there and what they'd say about you.
                Last edited by Mcgyver; 04-05-2021, 02:05 PM.
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                  Good post Tim

Hannum?

He was one of the best imo, he's missed. Forrest I'm hoping he is ok, but am concerned. He's posted very infrequently on PM in the last year. He is also is one the best. Alistair had some serious h
                  Thanks, Hannum it was. I remember someone posted his death here a few years ago.

I think it was 2004 that I attended a scraping school put on by a couple guys from Seattle. Forrest Addy was the instructor. If I wanted to serve a machinist's apprenticeship, He'd have been my choice as instructor. He was so articulate, he was easy to understand, and had definitely been around. He's a big guy, tall and medium build. His voice was the thing that drew peoples attention. When he mentioned he was building stage props for a local opera house, I said with a voice like yours I would expect you'd be performing also. He replied that he used to, but not any longer. I can't help but wonder if the stroke he suffered a few years previous to the school had something to do with that. I'd expect that he's mid to late 80's now. Hopefully, he's remained free from any more strokes and is okay.
                  I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                  Oregon, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                    Good post Tim

Hannum?

He was one of the best imo, he's missed. Forrest I'm hoping he is ok, but am concerned. He's posted very infrequently on PM in the last year. He is also is one the best. Alistair had some serious health issues he'd reported on, and who is another that I hope is ok. Lazlo was another, a bit intense, but always positive and knew a lot....and he was young, where did he go?

Some I miss, some not so much so. In reflecting on that, there is a strong correlation (in mind anyway) on EQ and how much they're missed. So the moral of the story is we should work on our EQ's (yours truly included), i.e. be less about promoting your own ego and instead be more polite, pleasant, gentlemanly and kind to others if we want to be remembered fondly. There's an old self improvement exercise intended to get you focused on the important things in life that is around imagining your own funeral - who you'd hope would be there and what they'd say about you.

I was thinking about Lazlo a while back. Not sure where he went but I keep hoping he'll pop back on one of these days. I figure he just got busy with other things. His profile on PM shows that he occasionally logs in but hasn't actually posted anything. The last time he logged in was May of 2020.

Comment

I think my first post here was a question about a South Bend lathe that I had just purchased. I joined and asked a question and within no time I had a few answers and Lane was the first one to answer. I also haven't seen Lane here for a long time. Lazlo and Ligerzero come to mind. And of course Airsmith. How could anyone forget him. I don't really like the idea of banning people for life though. 3 phase light bulb may have been pretty disruptive at times but he did contribute a lot too.
                      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
                        I think my first post here was a question about a South Bend lathe that I had just purchased. I joined and asked a question and within no time I had a few answers and Lane was the first one to answer. I also haven't seen Lane here for a long time. Lazlo and Ligerzero come to mind. And of course Airsmith. How could anyone forget him. I don't really like the idea of banning people for life though. 3 phase light bulb may have been pretty disruptive at times but he did contribute a lot too.
                        Lane was a good guy, too! He had the patience to help me out with a crappy 3-in-1 machine when I was first getting started and didn't know jack.

Comment

I think anyone who takes the time to politely give advice and help someone is worthy of recognition.
                          I agree with the OP that , thats why some of came here as opposed to the other site where berating and bashing seems to be the norm, was to get friendly polite advice regardless of the skill level, where the machine was made or why.
                          I havent been here long , but so far I like what I see.
                          Thanks all.

Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Steve Mathias, Jay Han were helpful and very knowledgeable , as well as Russ (Torker) , Fred (Pherdie) , 1-800-Miner, Joe Finn, and several others who's name escape me at the moment.

Steve

Comment

I miss these folks as well. I agree this is a friendlier forum, lots of good folks here and knowledge too. You are a good bunch. I am about19 years here myself. I have gotten lots of good ideas and advice here. Thanks to all past and present!

Comment

Working...
                              X