Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Story about a guy killed demonstrating to kids how safe a 12v car battery is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've told the story here a couple times.
    Many years ago when I was maybe about 20 one winter I was walking out of McDonalds with lunch and I hear an odd pop. A lady was jumping her dead car and the battery exploded all over her. Of course the other women just stood there dumbfounded doing absolutely nothing as she screamed with a faceful of acid. I ran up and shot my coke into her eyes. Grabbed her by the coat and threw her face in a snowbank and scrubbed her face with snow. Fortunately I've never had a battery blow up on me.

Comment

I just did a search for "how much current is lethal?" and got this:

a fatal current. While any amount of current over 10 milliamps (0.01 amp) is capable of producing painful to severe shock, currents between 100 and 200 mA (0.1 to 0.2 amp) are lethal. Currents above 200 milliamps (0.2 amp), while producing severe burns and

Of course, that's where Ohm's Law comes in, as discussed earlier.

Comment

Ok, I just grabbed two large wrenches and squeezed them tight ham-fisted, and connected an ohmmeter. Lowest resistance I could get by squeezing was 100 kohms. A 13 volt battery would get me a whopping 0.12 milliamps through my body. Don't know how low you could get with clammy hands.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunmyer View Post
          I just did a search for "how much current is lethal?" and got this:

a fatal current. While any amount of current over 10 milliamps (0.01 amp) is capable of producing painful to severe shock, currents between 100 and 200 mA (0.1 to 0.2 amp) are lethal. Currents above 200 milliamps (0.2 amp), while producing severe burns and

Of course, that's where Ohm's Law comes in, as discussed earlier.
          That "spec" also has issues....... It appears to be a general number for through-body current, from somewhere to somewhere else. Way too many variables to know. A big barrel-chested guy or a skinny little guy are likely to be way off of those numbers, and then you have to decide what the places to connect the currents are..
          2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

While a 12v automotive type battery can't kill you, apparently Tesla batteries can and do.
            https://kelleyuustal.com/elon-musks-...davie-florida/

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
              Volt's are what can stop (or re-start) your heart,,, as a mechanic holding on to ground with one hand and getting blasted in the other hand with 45,000 ignition volts and the path going right through the chest is not a good thing and yeah guys have died that way,,,
              Been there. Many years ago I was in the student auto shop tweaking the timing on my Mustang and grabbed the top of the distributor to turn it. Apparently old spark plug wire jackets do not insulate as well as new ones.

Steve

Comment

I have a TENS unit, and I begin to get a tingling sensation at about 10 mA, and usually use 20-30 mA for therapeutic reasons. Of course, that was with conductive electrode pads on the bare skin. If the pad lifts up and makes contact on a small spot, it increases current density and can be painful, and possibly cause burns. I think the unit runs at about 300-500 volts, which would be about 10 watts maximum. With current regulation, voltage will drop with skin resistance. 400 volts and 25 mA would be 16kOhms.
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                  While a 12v automotive type battery can't kill you, apparently Tesla batteries can and do.
                  https://kelleyuustal.com/elon-musks-...davie-florida/
                  Not just Tesla's --- even the pea shooter could do you in or give you a rough day,,,

Take a look at this sticker, Iv torn lots of stuff apart that threatened my ass with "could kill you" --- have to admit when I got this thing in my garage and seen the variation in the description "WILL" instead of "Could" it definitely got my attention --- only about 160 volts but tons of amps behind it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05353.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1937583

then on a side panel enough warnings to scare a priest;

Name:	DSC05355.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1937584

But --- even though I could not find anything I liked on youtube on how to disable the "bomb" all's you have to do is take your time and look, and after removing said panel I knew I had it made,,,

Name:	DSC05361.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1937585

Bomb defused ;

Name:	DSC05358.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1937586

My first hybrid adventure and they are actually quite simple to work on and get to know, at a basic level anyways... They are meant to be taken apart and put back together - very user friendly that way - at least the first gen insight is designed great that way... but --- I would not want to have to hunt down a blown resistor like I did with my DRO because the computer power is probably X 100 or more... or deal with a real computer glitch elsewhere .... not my cup of tea... everything else ? confidence is pretty high now...

Comment

120 commercial grade nickle metal hydride D-cell batteries all ran in series...

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05362.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.1 KB ID:	1937589

I tear into everything and anything I can get my hands on --- the only thing that I steer clear of is that triple propeller radioactive symbol --- count me out --- leave that to the ruskies...

Comment

You read that wrong.

The batteries may or may not hurt you, but the folks from the company will hunt you down if you open it up. And they will know when and where it happened.......😁😉
                      2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

The batteries in most EVs definitely present an electrocution hazard, they're generally 400 volts. Some of the newer, higher powered vehicles are 800 volts. They do have some safety features: orange cables, a contactor to disconnect the battery, some sort of disconnect switch/plug, and they're often/usually/always ungrounded, so one side must short to ground in order for the other side to be dangerous. (the only one that I'm sure of is the Chevy Bolt EV, it is a floating setup)

I don't know about hybrid cars, but most plugable hybrids would probably be like full EVs.

Just saw a car fire this morning, it was REALLY burning, huge plume of black smoke, but couldn't see what kind of vehicle it was.

Comment

I read a thing about welding, in particular underwater welding, apparently you can get zapped in the close proximity to the weld by the “electrical field”, that’s how the article suggested, I can’t say that I know anything much about underwater welding does this seem plausible, could it current kill?, don’t know any underwater welders to ask
                          mark

Comment

I took 100vdc 30A thru my left hand across my chest down to my right hand. Still here. Felt much different than ac. The dc was smooth and didn't want to let go. I had gravity on my side that time.
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

This is a very interesting topic for me. Many years ago I read an article that I believe was in Readers Digest. I seem to remember that there was a fraternity at a Pennsylvania college that had a task that was part of their initiation/hazing ritual. They would have the pledges jump off a diving board into a pool and then when they climbed out, touch their fingers (opposite hands) to the terminals of a 12 volt car battery. Most folks got a nasty shock, but one fella actually died. The pool chemicals would reduce the skin's normal resistivity and make them much more conductive. The poor fella that dies may have had some type of underlying cardiac arrhythmia or just plain more susceptible. I have searched several times over the years for this article but have never been able to find it. I would like to have a copy of it for my basic electricity class that I teach for aspiring amateur radio licensees.
                              JHC Dayton, OH

Comment

No doubt when it comes to low volts (meaning 12) our protection is our skin, sand your fingers down to the point where there so thin they are almost bleeding and wet them and I guarantee you will get a shock --- any doubts just touch a 9 volt to your tongue... 3 volts less and it will blast you into oblivion lol

Comment

Working...
                                X