Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Speed reading? Did any of you do it also?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T: Speed reading? Did any of you do it also?

I only ask to see if there any other speed readers out there.

No big deal. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

For me, reading can be speed reading, or 'normal paced' reading, or 'slow reading'. I speed read if I need to find out if this is what I was looking for, so I don't waste time. Then I can either look elsewhere or go back and read more slowly.

I'm nowhere near as good as some people I've known- or that guy who can read about as fast as he can turn the pages, and then have perfect recall.

I know somebody with a near-perfect memory, who can recall dates, what they were doing at the time, etc. Check out Marilou Henner for a good example of this.

I learned to speed read in grade school. Some of the concepts are similar to what you sometimes see online- sentences where there might only be two letters in each word in the right place. Sometimes it's easier to 'get' if you speed read it. Cna uyo erad htis?
    Last edited by darryl; 04-04-2021, 11:27 PM.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
      For me, reading can be speed reading, or 'normal paced' reading, or 'slow reading'. I speed read if I need to find out if this is what I was looking for, so I don't waste time. Then I can either look elsewhere or go back and read more slowly.
      Right.... I have said it hear many times. . I am the slowest reader here, so give me some latitude, thats always been my story. Im slow lol

I was talking about a program I did, five stages I think that alows me to scan any written text and just capture that page while the rest are showing.

Its not photographic like some folks... I dont have that..

I can read technical manuals at a rapid pace I think 500 words per flip of the page. You get the timing there right? A flip is what it sounds like. I dont pause, I flip the page, 500+ words at a time.

Speed reading. I have that chit on board.. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I don't ordinarily but did some in college days, more or less by necessity. Not class reading, but I was reading a fairly heavy book by an Indian writer with long, convoluted sentences. It was kind of like I couldn't parse it without a running start. Or very short term memory was insufficient to maintain the subject and verb by the time I got out to the end of the sentence.

e.g. "All the forms, bodies, forces, life-movements, sense-movements, thought-movements, developments, culminations, self-fulfilments of that world must be dominated and determined by this initial fact of Conscious-Life to which Matter and Mind must subject themselves, must start from that, base themselves upon that, be limited or enlarged by its laws, powers, capacities, limitations; and if Mind there seeks to develop yet higher possibilities, still it must then too take account of the original vital formula of desire-force, its purpose and its demand upon the divine manifestation." -- Sri Aurobindo
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Interesting (to me) that this came up just now - have been a fast reader for 50 years or more. (I still have to read a couple hours a day to keep up with my profession - even though I'm semi-retired.)
          Started noticing in the last few months that I have to slow down / stop and go back over the material to be sure I got the 'gist' correctly - guess it's first significant sign of age I have really noticed. Not a happy discovery.

Comment

Originally posted by YukonHam View Post
            Interesting (to me) that this came up just now - have been a fast reader for 50 years or more. (I still have to read a couple hours a day to keep up with my profession - even though I'm semi-retired.)
            Started noticing in the last few months that I have to slow down / stop and go back over the material to be sure I got the 'gist' correctly - guess it's first significant sign of age I have really noticed. Not a happy discovery.
            When I was younger I was a fairly fast reader and absorbed the information well but like you, these days I too have to read slower and go back over it to make sure I "got it". Getting old sucks.

Comment

I have always been a pretty fast reader as well. Out of curiosity I just found an online speed reading test site and took a quick test at a higher difficulty (level 10 out of 13). It has you read a passage at your highest speed then gives you a simple comprehension test afterward. I ran a few tests and averaged about 650 words per minute and got some tests at 75% and some at 100% comprehension score. I made an effort to read as fast as I could, generally I only read that fast when zipping through a document looking for something. Reading a novel or similar I probably read about 75% of that speed.

Here is the test site:

http://www.freereadingtest.com/
              Last edited by eKretz; 04-05-2021, 03:06 AM.

Comment

I took a speed reading class one summer of my high school years. I found it both good and not so much. By the end of the class, a few of the people seemed to be able to just glance at a page and then answer all the comprehension questions about it. But those pages were fairly large type and always seemed to deal with simple things, like reading a novel. I was on a scientific course and could not adopt the techniques of the course to the difficult concepts that involved.

I can pick up my normal reading speed when I make an effort so some of it must have stuck. But if I am doing anything critical I need to slow down and read more carefully.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Yeah I took the classic course back in the 1960s. I forget the name of the course, it was someone's name wasn't it?

It did not speed up my reading that much, I was already a fast reader. It seems to be more of a pattern recognition deal. Yes, that sentence "Cna uyo erad htis?" actually I had to read twice to see that it had errors......I read it the first time and only saw two of the errors, but I understood it.
                  2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    Yeah I took the classic course back in the 1960s. I forget the name of the course, it was someone's name wasn't it?

Well, you piqued my interest. So I googlated (yeah, I just made that up) some terms and came up with the name "Silvius," which seems to ring a bell.

I was a voracious reader from elementary school on through college, and considered myself to be a pretty fast reader with good comprehension and retention ...at least to my satisfaction. Then when I joined the USAF and went through OTS (Officer Training School) we had a block of instruction on speed reading. For several years afterward I felt that instruction actually slowed my reading AND reduced my comprehension. It made the reading experience somewhat unnatural, for me at least.
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Evelyn Wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                        Evelyn Wood.
                        Yes, that's one. That sounds even more familiar than Silvius.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I spent a 45 year career reading credit applications, reports, big construction supply purchase orders, and contracts of every kind all for a large multi national materials supplier.

You learn to let the words "speak to you" or tell you what they are saying. Every sentence has a message for you. Read and understand exactly what it is saying.

No place for speed reading that is for sure, especially in purchase orders..."pay if and when paid"....a classic buried in the "boiler plate". Doesn't matter that your selling terms require payment in 30 days. You ship on that PO, an action that can be construed to consenting to its terms, and you could be in for an expensive legal fight to get your money. Been there, done that.

Speed reading? No such thing.
                          S E Michigan

Comment

There sure IS "speed reading". And YOU have done it reading contracts. When you skimmed through looking for the payments section, you were using a speed reading technique.

On those terms, you boost your estimate, and then give a discount back to normal for quick payment. A lot will take that "discount".... and you get paid.

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                            Evelyn Wood.
                            That's the one.
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 04-05-2021, 02:40 PM.
                            2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Back in ‘65 I went to a Catholic school west of Chicago. One day they brought in a type of slide projector with an attachment that would only allow one printed line of a slide to show and then it would start to eclipse that line from left to right. It then clicked down to show the full next line and after a short pause begin the eclipse process again. We did that “training” twice a week for the rest of that school year and the whole next year. Then I moved back to NJ and public schools and I didn’t see one of those gizmos for another two years when I was a Freshman/9th grade.

The teacher was quite surprised that I was so familiar with it. They were apparently told it was “ state of the art “ and the latest trend.

I do believe it helped and really never took any other “speed” course later on.
                              Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                              9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X