Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unidentified Lathe Tool

Hi,

I got this with some other lathe tools but after searching still don't know what it is or how I use it. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	840.2 KB
ID:	1937383
    Attached Files

Trepanning cutter, missing the arm and cutting bit maybe? This, but on a Morse taper: https://www.kbctools.com/itemdetail/1-805-55

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

What is the part in your fingers? And does it slide or is it held? I think there's a big clue in that.

If it is a trepanning tool I'm thinking it would only be good for smaller holes. Otherwise the high torque would tend to spin or pull the taper out of the socket. Morse tapers only hold well when being pushed firmly into place as with drilling. Or pulled with a drawbar.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Looks like a circle cutter with the arm missing.. what size is the part the fingers are holding? Is it removeable ?
        tried to post this earlier, did not go thru.
        i have a deluxe trepanner, it has a square part that sides thru, M3 , good for about 4 inch dis holes , itz all in the tool grinding.
        Last edited by 754; 04-05-2021, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I vote for some kind of circle cutter as suggested by 754. .
          S E Michigan

Comment

The end has a pin in it. There is a grub screw to hold this (although at the moment it does not slide freely anyway, I'm sure it would with some persuasion)

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	968.5 KB
ID:	1937437 Click image for larger version

Views:	561
ID:	1937438 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	1937439

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	1937435

Views:	554
ID:	1937434
            Attached Files

Comment

Yep, circle cutter, trepanning tool - basically the same thing. The part of the pin sticking downwards keeps the work centred under the tool, and the stub end sticking into the hole acts as a key to stop the circular cross section arm from rotating about its own axis. You just need to make / find an arm and cutting bit.

Probably handy for cutting holes through thin material, gasket making etc - not heavy cutting.

Ian
              All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

I’m also with treppaning but could be a clock holder, I had one with a long arm, morse taper for centering on a HBM or mill, very handy it was too, bung in spindle, sweep bore, move table the wrong way, repeat
                mark

Comment

Originally posted by Dave022 View Post
                  The end has a pin in it. There is a grub screw to hold this
                  Well if anything you did post up some great photos. Thanks. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Hard to say exactly what it is. Look at the last picture in post #5. Note the scribed lines at 90 degrees on the end. That implies to me more of a homemade tool using the lines to align for machining cross holes. A factory made tool with a specific purpose likely would not need the marking to build. Also, the large cross hole does not appear to be precision finished, kind of ragged looking interior finish.

Comment

Working...
                    X