ER Collet Chuck Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ER Collet Chuck Recommendation

Frejoth J Head clone, R8 spindle, want to get an ER collect chuck. What size would you recommend? Any of the Reasonably priced imports decent? What are you using that you like?

First, I'm assuming mainly for drilling? For general milling, I'm not sure the ER offers anything that a decent R8 collet doesn't- and the collet offers less stickout and better rigidity.

That said, I have three ER holders with R8 shanks, that I use primarily for drilling- one in ER-11, one in ER-16 and one in ER-20. The 16 is a Glacern, which is very well made, the other two were eBay specials and are surprisingly concentric.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Yes, for drilling. I was looking at a Glacern actually. And looking at Tecknics collets also.

Comment

I have an er25 chuck, used mainly for tapping. I never use the larger sizes for my hobby work, so a 16 would have been a better choice.

Comment

I bought a Shars ER32 R8 collett chuck for my Bridgeport mainly because I already have a set of ER32 collets. I use it for milling and it works fine for my purposes. I will say it is fairly long - like 4 inches. Not a problem for me since my mill came with a 4 inch riser.

Edit- it's only 3" long.
          Last edited by flathead4; 04-06-2021, 12:52 PM.
          Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

I opted for er25, the maximum size is 16mm and the price of larger cutters starts to rocket. For larger diameters, I have 20mm and 25mm twin insert which are turned down to 20mm or 18mm to fit in R8 collets directly. Larger like er32 and er40 would be a good idea if you intended to use the system on a lathe as well as the mill.

Comment

I have an ETM ER-32 on my MT3 Jet 16 mill/drill. Best thing ever to not be dealing with drawbars. Only extends 2.5", and pays off not needing a Jacobs for drills.

Comment

I have at least 4 each R8 shank of ER 16, 20, 25, 32, and 2 ER 40s with collets. I have 2 R8 CNC mills, and collets don't work if you are doing production on multiple parts. You have to have a holder for each tool to maintain Z height until the parts run is finished. I run every kind of cutting tool in them and they work great. All mine are from China. All have less than .001 runout. I also have ER 32 and 40 collet blocks and MT3 chucks for the lathe tailstock and ER40 adjust tru collet chuck for the lathe spindle. I'm using these on a daily basis with no problems.
                Last edited by Toolguy; 04-07-2021, 12:57 PM.
                Kansas City area

Comment

I think an ER25 collet chuck is a good size for an R8 spindle. You're only giving up on using 3/4" end mills as er25 goes up to 5/8", plus the stick out is a bit less than an ER32 and the nut is a bit smaller. I very rarely use a tool in an R8 collet, usually when I run out of head room. My facemill, boring head and drill chuck all have 5/8" straight shanks so I can use them in the collet chuck.

I got lucky with my Banggood cheapy, run out is low and it's well finished where it matters. I use an Arceurotrade ball bearing nut which helps (Rockymountain CNC sells similar on ebay for reasonable money). Accusize, vertex (HHIP on Amazon) are supposed to be decent and in between pricewise from the "do you feel lucky, punk?" cheapies and the very nice Glacern units.

Comment

get your stuff from here. not the junk that you often get from ebay. these are manufacturing companies selling their products. received three iso30/er25 holders today. beautifull. (unfortunately i have to cut them up to fit my quick change spindle.)

Comment

Ii have settled on buying from Glacern, but can't decide between ER25 and ER32.

Comment

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post
                        Ii have settled on buying from Glacern, but can't decide between ER25 and ER32.
                        Personally, I like being able to stick 3/4 end mills and such in my ER32. I have a 2 flute 1.5" end mill for certain procedures that wouldn't be available in 1/2" shank. I've even made nice stiff facing holders of 3/4 bar stock.

Comment

ER25 - bit shorter, smaller nut, so good if you have limited Z and do alot of close in work
                          ER32 - can hold 3/4" end mills, more manly

I think you should be both, then you won't be wrong! Easy peasy

Comment

Working...
                          X