Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procunier Model 1 E Series Tap Problems

Hello!

So I purchased a Procunier Model 1 E Series tapping head recently. I went on MSC and purchased the correct collet for a 2-56 tap. I am trying to tap holes in titanium. My issue is whenever the tap goes down and actually cuts the threads, it does great. My issue is when I try and reverse the tap. The tap will come loose from the tapping head. I have tried tightening the collet as tight as I can and it still will pull out of the tapping head. I know that Tapmatic has a little set screw that will help hold the tap in place, but the Procunier doesn't have this. Towards the top of my tap is the squared off portion and below that it is round. Do I need to just insert the squared off portion into my collet and not the round part?

All the tapping head collets I've ever used have a flat of some sort at the bottom. The tap is inserted into the collet so the square end engages with the collet and can not turn in the collet. The collet is keyed to the head so it too is positively driven. With the tap and collet fully inserted tighten the collet/tap so the tap will not slip out and you should be fine. Note: be sure you have the correct size collet fo the tap you are using. There should be minimal clearance between tap and collet before tightening in the head.

Comment

A tap collet should have a square or 2 parallel sides at the top that are a close fit to the square on the shank of the tap. The same collet fits #0 through #6, as they are all the same on the top end.
      Kansas City area

Comment

I'll double check my collet when I get home and see what I may have missed. What you guys are saying makes perfect sense though. I must have been inserting the tap into the collet wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by barlowchiro View Post
          I'll double check my collet when I get home and see what I may have missed. What you guys are saying makes perfect sense though. I must have been inserting the tap into the collet wrong.
          Not necessarily wrong, maybe just not in far enough.

Comment

Working...
          X