Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5C Collets For Tap Shanks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
    You can get a 5C to ER adapter and use ER collets. ER stands for Extended (grip) Range. ER collets can collapse as much as .030 in many cases. I use my 5C to ER 32 fairly often in the lathe spindle, Spindex, collet blocks, etc., anything that holds a 5C. A 5C collet has a grip range of about .002. The ER collets cover the oddball sizes.
    That would come in handy for a lot of things. Who makes the 5C adapter?? any of the companies that make the ER collets and holders ??

    JL..............

    Comment


    • #17
      I got mine from ArcEurotrade. They are on eBay and Amazon, too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-C...EAAOSwk-Jd6b4-
      Kansas City area

      Comment


      • #18
        A "Polychoke" tap sharpening fixture comes with collets to fit tap shanks.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
          I got mine from ArcEurotrade. They are on eBay and Amazon, too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-C...EAAOSwk-Jd6b4-
          That's pretty reasonable. What is the accuracy of it?? run out etc.
          Collets come individually or in sets?? How many would be in a set for that size holder??
          The one you posted a link to is an ER 25. What is a ER 32 ?? different size range ??

          JL...............

          Comment


          • #20
            Looking at these, my head is spinning. Going to take some research. Erickson seems to be a popular brand. But I don't know anything about them.

            https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...er+collet+sets

            JL.............

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
              You can get a 5C to ER adapter and use ER collets. ER stands for Extended (grip) Range. ER collets can collapse as much as .030 in many cases. I use my 5C to ER 32 fairly often in the lathe spindle, Spindex, collet blocks, etc., anything that holds a 5C. A 5C collet has a grip range of about .002. The ER collets cover the oddball sizes.
              I was thinking that too. But his first job is to grind the centering point onto the square end. So I believe he wants to flip the tap around so the square end sticks out. And that leave him with the threaded end needing to be housed inside the collet. And ER chucks don't always have that much room. And the bigger sizes like ER 32 are longer than the shank of the taps in that size range.

              I did find some sub $20 emergency collet options on Ebay. So options are out there.

              But you also mentioned the option of making a split bushing to allow you to hold the tap shank in a larger size collet. That's about a 15 to 20 minute solution which costs nothing at all. And one which you could have done in about twice the time it took to type out your question in the first place. And I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't point that out in the first place. I guess I got starry eyed at helping you buy something new Go make a bushing for free other than a nickel's worth of scrap and 20 minutes time and get 'er done.

              Don't have a a boring bar small enough to do the .2535 hole? No problem. Mount a 3/16 end mill in a tool holder as a boring bar and use that. Or if you're feeling very brave pilot drill and use a 1/4" end mill that you center well and then open up the extra .00175

              Accuracy will be excellent since the whole bushing including a slight collar on the end to stop it going all the way into the collet can be done in one hold of the stock.

              Chilliwack BC, Canada

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                That's pretty reasonable. What is the accuracy of it?? run out etc.
                Collets come individually or in sets?? How many would be in a set for that size holder??
                The one you posted a link to is an ER 25. What is a ER 32 ?? different size range ??

                JL...............
                Each ER number has a maximum size it will hold. ER16 goes up to 3/8", ER 20 up to 1/2", ER 25 up to 5/8", ER 32 up to 3/4", ER 40 up to 1". Metric collets have similar equivalent upper limits. Any one holder can hold inch or metric collets of the matching ER number. Collets may be bought individually or in sets. My ER32 collet sets have 11 collets from 1/8" to 3/4". Each collet will get smaller from the size of the collet, but not bigger. Each collet takes up where the previous one left off. That means 22 collets covers every size from around .100 to .750 in a 1/32 increment set.
                Last edited by Toolguy; 04-07-2021, 06:02 PM.
                Kansas City area

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by BCRider View Post

                  I was thinking that too. But his first job is to grind the centering point onto the square end. So I believe he wants to flip the tap around so the square end sticks out. And that leave him with the threaded end needing to be housed inside the collet. And ER chucks don't always have that much room. And the bigger sizes like ER 32 are longer than the shank of the taps in that size range.

                  I did find some sub $20 emergency collet options on Ebay. So options are out there.

                  But you also mentioned the option of making a split bushing to allow you to hold the tap shank in a larger size collet. That's about a 15 to 20 minute solution which costs nothing at all. And one which you could have done in about twice the time it took to type out your question in the first place. And I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't point that out in the first place. I guess I got starry eyed at helping you buy something new Go make a bushing for free other than a nickel's worth of scrap and 20 minutes time and get 'er done.

                  Don't have a a boring bar small enough to do the .2535 hole? No problem. Mount a 3/16 end mill in a tool holder as a boring bar and use that. Or if you're feeling very brave pilot drill and use a 1/4" end mill that you center well and then open up the extra .00175

                  Accuracy will be excellent since the whole bushing including a slight collar on the end to stop it going all the way into the collet can be done in one hold of the stock.
                  Yes, that's correct. My first job is to grind the point on the square end.

                  The size and length range is also something I now have to take into consideration as I have several different size taps with varying odd shank dia.

                  I've made dozens of split bushings for all kinds of holding jobs. I have a 3/6" end mill that I ground into a boring bar that will fit into a 1/4" hole.

                  I may just do that. If I bore and turn without removing the part from the lathe the both ID and OD should be concentric.

                  But now you guys have me thinking about an ER set, trouble is which size do I choose ? and type of holder. Probably go with the 5C and maybe a straight 3/4" shank holder. I could use both.

                  JL..............

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    If you get the 5C to ER 32 you can hold up to 3/4" in it. That is the one I would (did) get with a 5C shank. Don't forget - you can hold the taps by the threaded part in a collet. For a lot of general milling jobs, I like the R8 to ER 20 holders. They go up to 1/2", and still a fairly small collet nut. A lot of my current work uses 1/2" down to 1/8" shank cutting tools.
                    Kansas City area

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                      If you get the 5C to ER 32 you can hold up to 3/4" in it. That is the one I would (did) get with a 5C shank. Don't forget - you can hold the taps by the threaded part in a collet. For a lot of general milling jobs, I like the R8 to ER 20 holders. They go up to 1/2", and still a fairly small collet nut. A lot of my current work uses 1/2" down to 1/8" shank cutting tools.
                      Thanks. that sounds like the way to go. Up to 3/4" should take care of all my needs.... at least for now. I suppose I could by the collets as needed, unless there is a complete set up to 3/4" that will go with that 5C.

                      JL..............

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Her are a few of the taps that I need to grind the ends. That little tap guide has a reversible end. The pointed end shown, the flip side is a center drill hole. It fits the smaller taps from #12 down but not some of the bigger one. I've made some holders / guides as needed with various stepped ends, both male and female depending on what my needs were at the time. They are just soft steel. I've been wanting to replace them with hardened ones but haven't got around to it yet.

                        I'm not sure what the angles are on the ends of these taps. I'll have to check. I don't think it's all that critical as long as it fits in the holder and is centered.

                        Those two larger taps have shanks that measure .316 and .380

                        JL...............

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210407-152238.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	1937704

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Here is one example, I'm not endorsing this particular vendor, although they do have a good track record. There are many places to buy these.

                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/ER32-22PCS-...cAAOSwrYJf0Y9R
                          Kansas City area

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I have a radial relief tap sharpening setup. It includes 4C collets in tap shank sizes.

                            Yes, I know you are looking for 5C. I offer this as an alternate collet source.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Those tap shanks are all drill sized. You could have made a set of sleeves for them and have the job done by now! Bore the holes if you want to, or drill close and "ream" with a drill having the corners rounded and backed off a bit.
                              2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

                              Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan


                              It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                                Here is one example, I'm not endorsing this particular vendor, although they do have a good track record. There are many places to buy these.

                                https://www.ebay.com/itm/ER32-22PCS-...cAAOSwrYJf0Y9R
                                That's a bit pricey for ebay. I've been doing some looking. There are a lot of brands out there for these ER collets. I've never heard of most of them other than ETM. I'm guessing most are imports.

                                https://www.kbctools.com/products/se...d=er%20collets

                                Surprisingly, no one has a 5C to ER holder other than the one on ebay that you posted a link to. I find that odd that all these companies that make ER holder in every type shank from straight, Morse, BT, R8 and many others but no 5C.

                                JL.............

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X