No announcement yet.

5C Collets For Tap Shanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so is the reason for all this to make the taps fit your tapping guide? make a suitable tip for it. i have.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
      so is the reason for all this to make the taps fit your tapping guide? make a suitable tip for it. i have.
      Well, it started out making collets or sleeves for my taps but has evolved into my interest in getting a set of ER's.

JL...............

Comment

just be aware that all claims of runout are bogus. there seems to be no standard of measurement. it makes a difference if you take a reading at the collet or 10xdiameter out (like for drill chucks). even my regofix ultra precision collets (5ยต advertised) dont live up to it, although in this range measurement are becomming questionable (or take a lot of extreme care).

Comment

Originally posted by masheenest View Post
          A "Polychoke" tap sharpening fixture comes with collets to fit tap shanks.
          Unfortunately mine came with no collets. I bought a 5C to ER32 adapter. I can hold any size tap shank up to 20mm.

OP should buy an ER collet chuck with an R8 shank. Very handy in the mill as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Illinoyance View Post

Unfortunately mine came with no collets. I bought a 5C to ER32 adapter. I can hold any size tap shank up to 20mm.

OP should buy an ER collet chuck with an R8 shank. Very handy in the mill as well.
            Why would you need one for the mill unless you have some oddball end mill shanks that you don't have collets for. Maybe for drills.

JL..............

Comment

to not over complicate or spend a fortune....why not just make a sleeve? It only has to withstand grinding forces. Turn the OD to whatever, ID to fit the tap all without disturbing the work. part off and saw it in half. done.
              Last edited by Mcgyver; 04-09-2021, 06:13 PM.
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
              X