Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Any use for old gasoline. 20gals to get rid of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T: Any use for old gasoline. 20gals to get rid of.

I have these four "jerry" cans full of gasoline that I am getting ready to take to the Haz Waste dept in town.

I filled them up 15 years ago for a reserve for my gen-set incase of a long term power outage. I filled them to the top, no head space along with a bottle of staybil.. I could test for water content but dont think that would be the problem. I think the chemicals are just toast and have no way to test for that without burning in through an engine and I wont subject my engines to it.

So is it just haz-mat now? Giving them the cans also because I am not going down that route anymore.

I was wondering if an old hit and miss engine could use this stuff. There are some in my County. I would rather give it to someone than trashing it. Thanks. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	gasoline.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	1937664
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

I'd run it in my old carburetted GMC 350. And I certainly wouldn't give those cans away.
    It's all mind over matter.
    If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Assuming it still burns at all you could put a little at a time in your truck along with filling the rest of the way with good stuff. Over time it would all be gone.

I had a couple of gallons that were like that. I used it up over a few months in this way. After a fill I'd drive around until I saw I was down a 1/8 tank and put in half a gallon of the old stuff. The engine never so much as noticed near as I could tell.

15 years though IS a LONG time. I'd start by having a sniff at it and see if the gas still even smells like gas. If it's totally off then off to the recycling.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Just re-purpose it as parts washer fluid for "OUTDOOR USE ONLY".

Comment

Just put them in the back of you pickup's bed and drive it down to the local shopping mall. Go inside and spend a hour or two shopping, and I would almost bet that when you come back out the cans and gas will be gone. Problem solved.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
          Oregon Coast

Comment

lugnuts solution gave me a laugh. My neighbors and I have debated a couple times about how to get rid of a tv- still working- but no longer wanted. We came up with two solutions- just place it at the curb and put free on it, or place it at the curb with asking $50 on it. With our human propensity to want things for free, we figured that it would be gone sooner if it had the $50 sign on it.

As far as the gas, it's probably the same. Leave it in the back of the truck with the tailgate down. But BCRiders idea is good- that's probably what I'd do. But first I'd pour a bit on a gravel driveway and light it. If it seems to burn like gas does, I'd have no problem doing this. I wouldn't put it in my bike, but in an older engine it won't be a problem. And that's another solution- if you know somebody who's still driving an old pickup truck, just give it to them with the same idea in mind- to dilute it 10% at a time into their fresh fuel.

Safest way would be to use it on longer trips where you know you'll be burning through more than one tank. As you fill with fresh, whatever is left of the old gas in the tank will be diluted even further.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I wish we ere close, my old John Deere would burn it in an instant.

THANX RICH
              People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Anybody in the area with a furnace set up to burn waste oil? Pour that gas into a barrel of used engine oil and it should burn fine.

Comment

Waste oil furnace + gasoline = blowtorch.

Comment

Use as a weed killer or brush killer.
                    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

parts washer fluid

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                        Assuming it still burns at all you could put a little at a time in your truck along with filling the rest of the way with good stuff. Over time it would all be gone.

I had a couple of gallons that were like that. I used it up over a few months in this way. After a fill I'd drive around until I saw I was down a 1/8 tank and put in half a gallon of the old stuff. The engine never so much as noticed near as I could tell.

15 years though IS a LONG time. I'd start by having a sniff at it and see if the gas still even smells like gas. If it's totally off then off to the recycling.
                        This is really the only simple and definitive test to see if it even deserves any other use than the recyclers.

I had a set of carbs come into the shop a few months ago that I'd removed from an M/C that had been parked for 4 years under less than ideal storage conditions, well for the carbs at least (warm and vented).
                        I drained the float bowls and turffed the remnants of what used to be gasoline and left the carbs on the bench overnight to air out.
                        Came back the next morning and I couldn't get the doors open fast enough to air the place out, what a stench! Forgot how bad that stuff stinks.

The OP states the cans were full and with little air space plus the addition a stabilizer , the only thing he could have done to decrease the rate of degradation would have involved freezing it, but 15 years is a long time for a product that under ideal conditions has a best before life of 3 years or less.

So JR, open a can and give us your opinion and results from your olfactory receptors.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I have a 1946 Mercury Pickup that was parked in shed in 1971 with full tank of gas,old leaded stuff.In 2002 my friend installed a 350 and upgraded suspension,just for kicks he fired it up and ran the whole tank out with no issues lol!

Comment

If you're determined not to burn it, put an ad on Craigslist. Ask $10 each for the full cans and watch them disappear. Or offer them up for free. Someone will come and get them.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

So JR, open a can and give us your opinion and results from your olfactory receptors.
                              I did that before posting here, of the course. Thats the tell tale.

Got the flat bar, a good 18" bar and unseated this can for the first time. Not knowing what to expect.

It was sweet, and clean smelling. Odd. It should have been bunk.. Oh well. I still would not dump it in any of my tanks.. Oh well...

I have the appointment, done deal.

I cant open burn it idiots lol JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                              X