Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Any use for old gasoline. 20gals to get rid of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kev74 View Post
    If you're determined not to burn it, put an ad on Craigslist. Ask $10 each for the full cans and watch them disappear. Or offer them up for free. Someone will come and get them.
    Yeah.. Around here in California you cant sell stuff to each other "willy nilly".

I dont even want to sell it. I just hate to see the potential go up in flames, if thats what they do. The environmental plant.. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I'd try it in a lawn mower. If it's been sealed with no headspace, it should be good. Metal cans will 'preserve' gasoline much longer than plastic cans will.

Comment

Know anyone with an old tractor? They could mix it 50/50 with fresh gas and run it.

Comment

I've got enough old junk around here still running that I could make use of it. Shame you're too far away.

Comment

Pour about half a can in your car or truck tank, (gasoline engine) and it will be so diluted thay you will never know. Back in the 70's when I was working with aircraft instruments, the cleaning specification was revised. Benzine was found to be carcinogenic and was replaced by trichloroethane 111. We had a couple of gallons and I put it in my tank. All of it in a tank with only about 4 gallons of petrol (gas) was a big mistake, the engine pinked badly (preiginition?) and I had to top up with high octane and drive carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
              Just put them in the back of you pickup's bed and drive it down to the local shopping mall. Go inside and spend a hour or two shopping, and I would almost bet that when you come back out the cans and gas will be gone. Problem solved.

Run a 20ft aircraft cable through the handles, padlock it to the truck and leave a funnel, so they'll take the gas and leave the cans.

They'll also probably still be at the scene of the crime, considering they just topped off with 15 year old stale gas.
              -paul

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
                Just put them in the back of you pickup's bed and drive it down to the local shopping mall. Go inside and spend a hour or two shopping, and I would almost bet that when you come back out the cans and gas will be gone. Problem solved.
                He doesn't want to get rid of the cans !!

JL...............

Comment

The smell should give you a pretty good idea if the gas has gone bad.
                  Try some in an old lawn mower.

I'll take a couple cans if your looking to part with them.

JL..............

Comment

Thanks guys. Ill do a 5gal at a time dilute in my wife's car We have AAA Thanks again... JR
                    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Just a thought- if that gas was left in a carb for a while, it would varnish up the jets, etc. If left in a can, it could varnish up the inside of the can, but the fuel itself might be ok. Getting it through a fuel system fairly quickly would probably not cause any problems at all. And we all know how quickly we can go through a tank of gas-

The other thing that came to mind was to filter it before diluting in into fresh gas in the vehicle. I'll bet you would find a lot of crap in the filter by the time you're done using it up. So- what to use for a filter?
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I'm with BCRider. Burn it in your car or whatever you have that uses gasoline. Just mix it like half and half. You won't have any problems at all. I have experience with using old gas.
                        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Use it 50/50 with fresh gas in whatever you drive or run. Small equipment or tractors will eat that stuff up. Heck I used to run old 50:1 gas/oil in my Sears 12hp, it ran just fine Just be sure you don't get sediment or water from the old cans. Even bad smell gas will burn.
                          S E Michigan

Comment

thats funny. 15 years ago i filled up one of my cars. it has been sitting. now i drive it once in a while. still on the same gas.

Comment

What would gasoline turn into sitting for 15 years? It will still be a hydrocarbon, it can’t turn into water.

Comment

I worked at a manufacturing plant awhile back where the gas from an old leaking underground gas tank was migrating toward a water well. The company hired a professional company to come in and correct the situation. They pumped our the old gas, removed the tank, and then dug up the contaminated soil and placed it on large tarps and turned the soil every couple of days until the gas was vaporized by the sun. Then they put the same soil back into the hole that the tank came out of. Makes me wonder if you couldn't just place the tanks in the sun with caps off and let it vaporize??

Comment

Working...
                                X