insane press fit on a water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insane press fit on a water pump

friend of mine has a 50kw generator that we've been getting ready to use for backup at his weed testing facility. he's got about 20 employees.. and several million in lab equipment. has ups' to run the turbo pumps and the vacuum pumps but in the event of a power outage its a gamble if the ups will hold the equipment up for ten minutes while they shut down.

so anyhow.. 50kw turbo diesel from the 1980's springs a water leak. we hunt down a rebuild kit for the water pump, find one.. order the wrong one.. buy the right one.

and it takes about everything that 6" gear puller can do to get the flange off the bearing cartridge.
    i had that flange heated red hot, and 100 foot pounds of torque wouldn't budge it.

so had the gear puller torqued as tight as i could, then strike the end of the gear puller with 2 lb hammer. then tighten it 1/3rd of a turn, strike it again. this went on for about 3 turns. then it got easier.

after i had the flange pulled off, i was able to pull the bearing cartridge, press the new shaft and bearing assembly in, new water seal, new impeller

and i measure somewhere between a 0.002 to 0.003" press fit on that flange.. its a 0.75" diameter shaft.. (that holds the radiator fan and pulley)

so i chucked it up in the lathe and bored out about .001" and hammered it back on.

not the best quality photo.. but that's a 17mm mushroomed hex on the gear puller. the screw is brown.. because the heat from heating up the flange burned off all the grease...

i've been thinking about some ideas for a better gear puller. maybe instead of 1 screw in the middle, have 2 screws, or 3 or 4 screws, one for each arm. that way you can tighten each arm individually. would be benificial for non standard applications for sure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	168544377_1030121117394119_3477756756435884394_n.jpg Views:	2 Size:	212.4 KB ID:	1937765
    Last edited by johansen; 04-08-2021, 04:26 AM.

The normal rule of thumb for press fits on solid parts is .001 per inch of diam. For bearings, its usually more like .0005 to .001 regardless of diam. due to the bearing being made to very close tolerance to begin with. A .003 press fit would make most bearings go bad due to the heavy pressure on all the moving elements.

For the gear puller, you could make one with 4 puller arms and a screw 1/2 way between each arm. So - 4 arms and 4 screws.
    Last edited by Toolguy; 04-08-2021, 10:19 AM.
    Kansas City area

Comment

What the heck is a "weed testing facility"?

Comment

Originally posted by andywander View Post
        What the heck is a "weed testing facility"?

Comment

Wow - that's tight, do not know the entire process you described but sound like you got it right as long as no install pressure was put on the new bearings, you have to press bearing in on their outer race if going into a hub and on the inner race if going onto a shaft....

Comment

If you have room these work quite well.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	brg.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1937811

Comment

These work better.

Comment

Over 50+ years of doing repair and maintenance work I've accumulated a bunch of different
                pullers. big, small and in between. Bent more than one of them to rat**** in the process of
                trying to pull off a super tight gear or flange. Most water pumps like that can be set up in a
                press with a bearing splitter--much easier than messing around with a hand-cranked puller.
                And I agree with Arcane, the three-legged screw pullers are much better than the two leg ones.
                You get a more uniform pull with less chance of the puller leaning to one side...
                Keith

Comment

Better still, they do make hydraulic pullers. No screw involved, takes all the same kind of pullers/attachments you already have. Here's a cheapo : https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...ler-66657.html

"Real ones" go for a few hundred.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                    Better still, they do make hydraulic pullers. No screw involved, takes all the same kind of pullers/attachments you already have. Here's a cheapo : https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...ler-66657.html

"Real ones" go for a few hundred.
                    That looks like a really good idea. One could roll your own with O-rings. A small piston at the screw end and a big one at the center end. I'll have to remember that. I suppose even a hit the small piston end with a hammer would be a huge force multiplier.
                    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post

That looks like a really good idea. One could roll your own with O-rings. A small piston at the screw end and a big one at the center end. I'll have to remember that. I suppose even a hit the small piston end with a hammer would be a huge force multiplier.
                      Yup, basic hydraulics.... could even pack the cylinders with grease, being real cheap. That way you don't need any special finish or tolerance on the cylinders/pistons. Or if you're good a scroungin, a couple old snow plow cylinders....

Comment

I've got a collection of pullers made for the exact task. Just a section of round bar the same diameter as the flange and an inch long. I drill and tap the center to 5/8-18 and drill four holes to match the fan mount pattern. In use the puller bolts to the hub solid and a 5/8-18 grade 8 bolt lathered in copper never seize goes in the middle and bears against the end of the shaft. 15/16" socket on a 1/2 impact does the rest.

Picture of one similar here-
                        https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=67354
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

For an all around puller these get my vote.

https://www.posilock.com/product-cat...anual-pullers/

Have a medium sized 3 jaw-hardly ever touch a standard jaw puller anymore.

Comment

THAT’S who makes them! I have one that I got through Sears; it’s really good.

Speaking of water pump pressing adventures, about six or eight years ago a friend and I thought we would press the shaft out of an old water pump because it just looked like it would be a useful thing to have around. Little did we realize that it formed the inner race of one of the bearings. We pressed... and pressed... and it was pretty dramatic when the outer race of that bearing finally broke.

Originally posted by SVS View Post

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post

Those are probably THE best pullers available, anywhere and at any price. We used to use them constantly in the maint dept at my old job. They had all sizes from tiny to huge and it just made things *so* much easier....

Comment

Working...
                              X