Dangerous Website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerous Website?

Trying to access this website I got a security warning from Firefox: "Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN"
    Wow, I never knew machining could be so dangerous.

Also on FF. No warnings shown.

Comment

^ This

Comment

I use Firefox and have never had any warnings. This site has been upgraded to include https which is more secure.

Comment

What that means: somebody did not pay Bill "greedy guts" Gates a quarter million to certify a security certificate. It ranks right up there with warnings of the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide on the "oh, go away" list.

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
            What that means: somebody did not pay Bill "greedy guts" Gates a quarter million to certify a security certificate. It ranks right up there with warnings of the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide on the "oh, go away" list.
            It can be dangerous. People frequently cut it with alcohol to reduce the toxic effects.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Please. I spent years developing software to run on Windows, run Linux at home, and I find Microsoft as annoying as anyone, but you can't legitimately blame them for everything. They are not in charge of domain certificates.
              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Comment

This is a very dangerous web site! It's sure to cause a drain in your finances!🤣

Comment

When you get this warning, it may be a sign that YOUR computer is accessing the wrong web site. This happens when bad guys hijack the domain name servers (DNS) for the website that you are trying to reach or if they manage to corrupt your DNS server. When practical, pay attention to that warning. Especially if no one else has that same problem.

If they failed to renew their certificate, the worst that happens is you miss playing with the site for the day. If you are running into a hijacked DNS server there's no telling what havoc they may inflict.

Dan (former network security guy)
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

No issues here but have seen similar warnings before on other sites with expired certificates. Try updating FF.

JL...........

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                        That sure brings back memories. I always wanted to make one of those robots. What a great machining project that would be.
                        And an electronics project, and a computer project.

JL.............

Comment

I built the first voice for Toby the Robot on a Miami TV station. He traditionally used gestures but no voice.

Used a lot of analog audio processing to get a robot sounding voice from the actor inside the costume. Delay line (Radio Shack IC) for an echo effect and other audio filters.

They used it for one or two shows and the kids found it too hard to understand. So, they "upgraded" Toby to a more understandable voice: yes, the actor's actual voice. Oh well.

But it was a fun project.

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

That sure brings back memories. I always wanted to make one of those robots. What a great machining project that would be.
                          And an electronics project, and a computer project.

JL.............
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            I built the first voice for Toby the Robot on a Miami TV station. He traditionally used gestures but no voice.

Used a lot of analog audio processing to get a robot sounding voice from the actor inside the costume. Delay line (Radio Shack IC) for an echo effect and other audio filters.

They used it for one or two shows and the kids found it too hard to understand. So, they "upgraded" Toby to a more understandable voice: yes, the actor's actual voice. Oh well.

But it was a fun project.

Someone was actually making these robots. I would love to see how they made the body and what they used for the bellows type legs and arms. Custom made stuff, off the shelf stuff from various companies etc. Always been curious about all that. http://www.lostinspacerobot.com/

Just think what you could do with all the computer and electronics, hydraulics etc. that weren't available back then.

JL.............
                            Last edited by JoeLee; 04-10-2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                              Just think what you could do with all the computer and electronics, hydraulics etc. that weren't available back then.

JL.............
                              You could make something like the Boston Dynamics robots...

Comment

Working...
                              X