Woo hoo - Rusnok vertical head for my Vernon horizontal mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woo hoo - Rusnok vertical head for my Vernon horizontal mill

This is cool & hopefully the end of my frustrations over horizontal mill limitations. Seller's pictures. Shop made stand - probably had an x-y table on it. The stand is really well made -excellent fit, column & arm are keyed, the plate is 1-1/4" thick & is 70lbs. I'll not use it, but I'll not get rid of it either.🙂

Click image for larger version

Name:	00k0k_h4TcUdTcfX1z_0cD0oE_1200x900.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1938193
    Click image for larger version

Name:	01616_lBRpLx5tn7Tz_0kk0r6_1200x900.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1938194

Hey, That is cool Bob
    I was able to shag a M Head for my Vernon when I had it -then sold the Vernon to a friend who needed a mill
    What size is the support arbor ? Is it the same ?
    Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

Well, now that's too cool. I have a Sheldon horizontal mill, A vertical head on mine would be redundant, but I'd like to have one anyway!
      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
      Oregon, USA

Comment

Great way to get a Rusnok head cheaper! "Hide it" as part of something else.

If that guy had advertised it as "Rusnok milling head", he probably (I don't know what you paid) could have gotten 2 to 4 times more for just the head without the "drill press looking" stand..

CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
          Well, now that's too cool. I have a Sheldon horizontal mill, A vertical head on mine would be redundant, but I'd like to have one anyway!
          Tim, You have a fine time piece their..
          You may know that the Diamond Horizontal Mill was made in Los Angeles CA during the second WW, and then sold the mill product to Vernon about 1948, and then Vernon sold out to Sheldon in early 60's ( I think) . Sheldon made some improvements , but not sure what.
          I have a spare Table (new) for the mill. My buddy owned a shop that made and sold tables to Sheldon for the mill and he gave me one when I had a Diamond Mill .
          Rich
          Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
            Hey, That is cool Bob
            I was able to shag a M Head for my Vernon when I had it -then sold the Vernon to a friend who needed a mill
            What size is the support arbor ? Is it the same ?
            Rich
            Yep - lucked out there, 2" on both of them. The fit is so close that it's a bear getting the head on - it's 55lbs & held neck high while getting them lined up exactly. I'm making a crane to hold it.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              Great way to get a Rusnok head cheaper! "Hide it" as part of something else.

If that guy had advertised it as "Rusnok milling head", he probably (I don't know what you paid) could have gotten 2 to 4 times more for just the head without the "drill press looking" stand..
              The seller was a professional machinist, so he knew what it was & advertised it as being good to add to a small horizontal mill. I don't know what it's worth - there's a pretty small market of these things. I paid what he was asking because it was worth that to me: $250.

Comment

It came with 5 collets (3/16 - 1/2 by 16ths, except 7/16). There was some superficial rust so I Evaporust-ed them & they are flawless.

I used the 3/8 & 1/2 ones to hold end mills & measured the TIR: 5-7 tenths. I don't work closer than that.

Comment

What kind of collets does it use?
                  Kansas City area

Comment

I have Sheldon-Vernon 0 mill also. That would be a great addition!
                    When you finally figure you can't use it let me know! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

The seller was a professional machinist, so he knew what it was & advertised it as being good to add to a small horizontal mill. I don't know what it's worth - there's a pretty small market of these things. I paid what he was asking because it was worth that to me: $250.
                      I am inclined to say that you nearly stole it! I have seen considerably higher prices than that, as high as $400 or even $500 being asked, and in some cases they sold for that level of price.

Those in particular are not common, and are just the right size for a lot of smaller machines.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                        What kind of collets does it use?
                        They're called "double taper", Type Y. 1/2" is the largest, but I don't expect that to be a problem for me.
                        http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/DT_Collet.html

Comment

Congrats on finding a nice addition to your shop!
                          Kansas City area

Comment

Nice find, keep us updated with the build as it progresses.

Comment

Hi,

Awwww, it's a cutie! I used to hang a Rusnok milling head on a 6 foot planer occasionally. It worked well for what was needed.
                              If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X