No announcement yet.

Ball end mill in steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just rotate the shaft 90 degrees and use a standard flat endmill to cut a V groove.

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
      Just rotate the shaft 90 degrees and use a standard flat endmill to cut a V groove.
      I would think I would rotate the shaft 45 degrees to get the V correct geometrically.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

I would think I would rotate the shaft 45 degrees to get the V correct geometrically.
        A cylinder cut at 45 degrees describes an ellipse. That may or may not be what you want.
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post

A cylinder cut at 45 degrees describes an ellipse. That may or may not be what you want.
          What I meant was I would offset the normal flat end end mill to a point on the shaft that would be 45 degrees so the cutter would engage the shaft to be cut.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I will just run my cutter perpendicular to the material. And I figured out it needs to be 2.5mm deep not 3mm. Click image for larger version

Name:	grove depth.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1938352

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
              The V grove does sound like a better solution. I need to measure the only V grove end mill I have. I think it is too big and I just bought 3 solid carbide round end mills!
              A v-groove end mill has the same problem as a ball end mill, but with less strength in the tip. In my not so humble freaking opinion the way to over come cutting issues and make a V-groove is to use the side of a regular endmill and do the basic math to get the groove dimensions to do the job.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	v-groove shaft.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1938357
              *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

90 degrees = 45 degrees 2 hours after regular bedtime

Here are the settings for a V groove instead of ballnose:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	VGroove.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1938386

Comment

Working...
                X