O.T. RTV Silicone Drying Time Query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    If I could get honda bond id use it --- it is very good stuff - I use permatex ultra gray - it's high body (like honda bond) not flimsy and has very good adhesion qualities,,, and last but not least it's gray
    Same stuff as Hondabond 4. It's made by Threebond in Japan and just marketed in a branded tube for many companies.

Comment

Originally posted by I make chips View Post

Same stuff as Hondabond 4. It's made by Threebond in Japan and just marketed in a branded tube for many companies.
      Are you serious? Wow - it's been my experience that it's close due to it's qualities I mentioned but did not know the same, well im happy with my comparative testing judgment skills.

Comment

Side question, what's the general consensus on "the right stuff"? That's all I used to use for motorcycle stuff, and never had a problem with it. Don't do any of that work anymore, so haven't used it in years. You guys have much more experience in that field so I'm just wondering what your opinions are of that product. I agree with Boomer, that most use WAY too much gasket sealer and cause more problems than they cure.

Comment

I don't know anything about motorcycles, but I have used The Right Stuff before with good results. 🤔

Comment

When I worked closely with the sealant manufactures it was their premise that the sealing between the flat mating surfaces was not sufficient long term. They claimed the sealing was happening in the squeeze out section of the joint. It is only there that the the sealant could flex enough to compensate for the joint movement. Filling and running immediately would certainly wash away that section of sealant. This leaves the job of sealing to a very thin layer between the parts.

another important point was not to use acetic acid cure sealants. You know, that vinegar smell. Off gassing during cure will rust any bare metal parts in the enclosure. Our company had all the gears and bearings that were above the oil line rust before leaving the factory when we made the switch from gaskets to sealants. Glad I wasn’t the project engineer on that change.

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post
              Changing the ATF fluid and filter on my vehicle, RTV silicone is recommended.
              Says right on the tube let dry for 24 hours before refilling, thats fine but the question is, what do the dealers and auto shops do?
              Im sure they dont let it sit for 24 hours.
              I suggest you read your manual again. I did this to an trans pan on a PT Cruiser and what was spec'd was an anaerobic material, different from regular RTV. It still has a 24 hr time attached, and a little different application method. Many mating surfaces no longer spec a physical gasket. These are not your Father's vehicles.

Educate yourself on these RTV compounds. This is just one good site: https://www.permatex.com/product-category/gasketing/

While you are at, go look at the thread related products, same site.

Alex

Comment

educate? they tell you nothing, no shear, no peal, no stretch not even hardness. one of the useless sites. it used to be that "rtv" was used for everything. today the dealer stock 20 products and you pay for it. i wonder if sealing is better than it used to be and there were stamped covers to deal with too.

btw, i wait for 24 h or what ever, whats the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                  educate? they tell you nothing, no shear, no peal, no stretch not even hardness. one of the useless sites. it used to be that "rtv" was used for everything. today the dealer stock 20 products and you pay for it. i wonder if sealing is better than it used to be and there were stamped covers to deal with too.

btw, i wait for 24 h or what ever, whats the problem?
                  Sometimes its hard to wait 24 hours for the cure because the need for the vehicle, Ive brought my vehicle in for service before and it took 6 hours to drop the pan, change filter and fluid and back on the road.
                  I was just wondering what the dealer does or uses because they certainly dont wait the recommended cure time.
                  Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X