X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Stewart
    replied
    Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
    The 465(B) was the defacto standard for portable analog scopes from 1972 to 1983. It's easily worth ten times what your friend paid for it.
    Yep. My favorite scope.

-js

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    The 465(B) was the defacto standard for portable analog scopes from 1972 to 1983. It's easily worth ten times what your friend paid for it.

Leave a comment:

• CPeter
    replied
    A friend just bought this for $25. I know from nothing about scopes, only used them to splice and test fiber optic cable 20+ years ago.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1951788

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Sometimes it is cheaper to buy the real deal. Not in this case, sellers of new want $194 for 6 NiMH batteries plus a temp sensor. The most expensive cells are $14 or so per.

But I found that it WOULD do just fine with the adapter and NO battery...... so battery bad.
    Think you can save a few by using whatever Tenergy has to make up your own pack? (the link I gave previously, I *think* they have NiMH also)

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Just to be sure I was not missing a bet, I looked up the battery pack.... Fluke BP190

Sometimes it is cheaper to buy the real deal. Not in this case, sellers of new want $194 for 6 NiMH batteries plus a temp sensor. The most expensive cells are $14 or so per.

I found that the 'scope would not operate with the battery, and would not operate with battery plus adaptor. That did not look good.

But I found that it WOULD do just fine with the adapter and NO battery...... so battery bad.

Leave a comment:

• eKretz
    replied
    Mine says Romania. Not sure if that's better or worse than China...

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by rcaffin View Post

I now believe that a lot of the low-end CROs are actually made in China for the Western companies. .....................
    The Fluke Scopemeter I have was made in the Netherlands.

But Fluke has gone along with Tek. "Most" of the meters from Fluke, including "all" the lower end ones, of course, are made in China.

It shows. Out of a dozen meters a client bought, 2 or 3 had at least one non-functional range. At least one more was out of calibration, it read values different from every other meter it was compared to.

Even Harbor Freight has better than a 33% failure rate.

Leave a comment:

• rcaffin
    replied
    I too used to use Tektronix almost exclusively (working for the Gov't in research).

Recently I had a TDS220 for my consultancy, but it was dying. Tek was not interested in supporting it, so I started to dig. I found that the guts (PCBs etc) were not made in USA.

I now believe that a lot of the low-end CROs are actually made in China for the Western companies. In the case of the low-end Tek units, made by Hantek. Their low-end units are almost identical to the Tek ones: the Hantek DSO5102P is identical in specs and appearance to the Tek TDS220 - except that the Hantek unit has a USB port and a colour screen. Well, the advances of time. But the specs, buttons and function layouts - identical.

Ah, but the Hantek unit is half the price.

Cheers
    Roger

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Found a manual, and yes, batteries are NiMH.

Manual is an official one, but definitely not complete or perfect.... removing the bottom "holster" (padded cover), is described basically as "remove screws and pull off".

That is an over-simplification, since the actual unit has two totally un-mentioned snaps under the "holster" on the control panel side, and the instruction SHOULD say to pry the "holster" over them. Those appeared when they skittered across the workbench as the holster was "pulled off", which did rather irritate me.. Luckily, the screws are adequate for holding on the cover.

The top cover (at the end with the inputs) has the same "procedure" in the manual, but obviously has something beside the screws holding it on. I want to find the snaps for that one so I do not break them (or something else) off.

Something for tomorrow.

Oh, yeah. Manual was found at https://bama.edebris.com. Looks like a useful site.

Leave a comment:

• eKretz
    replied
    The one I'd really like to have gotten is a Rohde & Schwarz RTH 1004, but I've never seen one of those go (even used on eBay) for less than around $4k for a 4-channel. Very nice scope, but way too rich for my blood. The newest bench model oscilloscopes from the big names (Tek, Agilent/Keysight, LeCroy, Rohde & Schwarz, etc.) are ludicrously priced for a home user, they're pretty much out of reach for anyone price-wise until they're quite old unless you're a business user with legitimate money-making use.

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    The electronics guys in work used to use tektronics, but last go off Agilent was the thing they had, first time I saw one I said that looks expensive, I was right, multi channel digital sampling dodah cost like a house, I could end believe it to be honest, just calibration was mental but I was assured the were the best
    and made in sunny californium. I don’t use or even know what all the buttons were for,
    mark

Leave a comment:

• eKretz
    replied
    I am almost certain the Fluke 19X batteries are NiMH. I had a 199C for a short while and was considering the Li-ion conversion myself. They are far superior and much longer lasting in my experience. But it is a bit of a job, to be sure, considering some changes need to be made in the charging circuitry to use them with the onboard charger.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    When I replaced the NiCd cells in my drill battery I discovered that some "C" sized cells are really a "sub-C" size. This was from a name brand (Black and Decker). I used full sized "C" cells in the rebuild and the battery pack lasted for far longer on each charge. Strangely enough I got my full sized "C" cells from a Harbor Freight battery pack for one of their lines of drills. The cells that I harvested from it had the straps welded to them and I simply soldered to those straps. \

And those HF battery packs were only about $13 as opposed to well over $40 for the OEM ones with the sub-sized cells. You can't make this stuff up.

Not replacing with a vastly different technology. Just the same thing that is in there now, be that NiMH, or NiCd. I was told it is NiCd, in a factory sheet I have somewhere, but.........

I got no issues doing any of the swapping, as soon as I get into the thing and see the pack, which is a triangular assembly, IIRC from the paper that I "have somewhere".

I prefer to use the correct method of accessing, rather than finding out the hard way, but I've done the latter enough not to be afraid of it.

I have an 8010 I need to replace the pack in, but it uses a D size NiCd, and my usual sources do not have those any more. The pack is limping along with a "C" size now.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    That is also a better price than my usual sources.... You are on a roll here! Thanks.
    Cool. Watch out for the thing about solder tabs tho -- it isn't an obvious choice until you already select them for the shopping cart, then they give you all the options. When I installed mine, I smashed the tabs lengthwise with a pliers to get them through the PCB hole.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    That is also a better price than my usual sources.... You are on a roll here! Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X