• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actual machining content making a hand ball

Click image for larger version

Name:	E174DEF8-F56E-4283-BC16-0A4606BF656D.jpeg
Views:	511
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	1938776 I needed a 1 1/4” handball, I didn't have anything suitable. An hour later I had one. It took more time to make the form tool than the ball. Click image for larger version

Name:	9FDB165E-6D7B-45CC-94A7-BC91B777716B.jpeg
Views:	506
Size:	737.5 KB
ID:	1938775

that looks good, whats it for?
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Very nice, good polish, not going to wear that out
      mark

Comment

Nice & nice form tool - how did you make that?

Comment

Not only a nice form tool, but an impressive lack of chatter too. Is the ball turned out of aluminium?

Ian
          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Definitely aluminum. Good job on the tool, the radius looks smooth.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	sample balls 2 - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.1 KB ID:	1938814 Some thing like these . :-) No "form tool" required just a good radius turner. It works for any diameter from about 1/4" to as big as needed. :-)
              ...lew...
              Last edited by Lew Hartswick; 04-16-2021, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I was thinking it was a 3/4" cutting tool but then the other pics brought me down to a 1" (or near enough) diameter using a 1/2" tool. That's still pretty impressive that you didn't get any chatter. I did some small form tools for 3/8 diameter and even in brass it was hard to avoid chatter. Back gear and super slow helped. But it was still iffy.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Ball is 1 1/4” in dia. I blued a piece of high speed tool and marked a radius on it. Then took a cutoff wheel on angle grinder and roughed it out. Then took a 1 1/4” stone in die grinder and tuned it up.
                  I didn’t have hardly any chatter I cut it at 500 rpm.
                  I am selling my directional drill the guy buying it was complaining that the knob to move the seat was broke, so I made a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B View Post
                    Not only a nice form tool, but an impressive lack of chatter too. Is the ball turned out of aluminium?

Ian
                    After seeing his custom tool bit I was thinking the same thing about chatter, he must be able to ramp it down to very slow speeds even with aluminum... nice work.

I think the chips look steel ------- ? that's even tougher to do wow...

Comment

Err, he already mentioned cutting it at 500 RPM... And the ball is clearly made from aluminum. Being aluminum and the fact that this is a decently stout lathe by the look of it, I'm not surprised it didn't chatter.

Comment

yeah now I see the stock in the 3 jaw, now that I got some coffee in me lol

It's still an incredible amount of surface area to cut with BUT you don't have to take it all at once ---- you can side step it and get just part of the cutter involved and then step back the other way to get the other half and repeat till you get it all the way down,,,

it also has one thing going for it in full engagement mode and that's that the circumference is varied throughout creating different speeds of engagement --- that in itself can help with chatter, yup - coffee's starting to kick in...

I will add - the first pic is just the last in a series of steps - he must have changed the angle for the last step of parting, took multiple steps and in fact probably started with a 0 degree from what we see for the other side.

like maybe a 0 then a 60 and then 90 as in the pic....
                        Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 04-17-2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I am so impressed with the OP's freehand grinding of his form tool that I checked it out. I loaded the pic into CAD and drew a 3-point arc (red):
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_16574.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1938976

I'm even more impressed - that's a "Wow".

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                            I am so impressed with the OP's freehand grinding of his form tool that I checked it out. I loaded the pic into CAD and drew a 3-point arc (red):
                            I'm even more impressed - that's a "Wow".
                            read post #9 on how he “tuned” it up to get the radius that accurate. Good way to do it...

Comment

I made a smaller one years ago. Turned handles for rotary table. Made them out of 12L14 steel Click image for larger version

Name:	9CEB7968-6363-4BB0-B813-0D2722A55A99.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	1939032

Comment

Working...
                              X