Actual machining content making a hand ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by true temper View Post
    Ball is 1 1/4” in dia. I blued a piece of high speed tool and marked a radius on it. Then took a cutoff wheel on angle grinder and roughed it out. Then took a 1 1/4” stone in die grinder and tuned it up.
    I didn’t have hardly any chatter I cut it at 500 rpm.
    I am selling my directional drill the guy buying it was complaining that the knob to move the seat was broke, so I made a new one.
    Nice job! Very impressive. What lathe are you using?

Comment

Nardini 14x40

Comment

Ok I'm damn impressed. I came here expecting a ball turner, not a fabulous radius tool. Well done!

I use the same lathe at work, yours must be in much better knick. That one would never do that.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Nothing magical about it rough it out with a zip disc and clean it up with die grinder. Make sure you include some relief . Try it for yourself.
          yes my lathe is in pretty good shape. Click image for larger version  Name:	FEC5B594-2AE6-4974-8886-9C6DF835EDDC.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	1939045
          Last edited by true temper; 04-18-2021, 01:34 AM.

Comment

That's the same way I've always made my own radius form tools. You can make custom sizes by dressing the grinding wheel to specific sizes with a diamond dresser.

Comment

Working...
            X