No announcement yet.

Fly cutter design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version  Name:	fly cutter.jpg Views:	0 Size:	19.8 KB ID:	1941022
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Ok- that's what I had in mind. The insert is slapped onto the side of the fly cutter body as shown. Funny how I couldn't get the drawing and some text into one post-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_16776.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.0 KB ID:	1941029 Hi Guys,

That arrangement will work but the line of the insert cutting edge should be as the red line.
        Best Regards:
        Baron J

Comment

whats the purpose of this? will work at certain doc only, right?

why dont we attach a small spindle to the fly cutter instead of the insert??
          Last edited by dian; 05-03-2021, 01:37 PM.

Comment

BaronJ, normally yes. But in this case the idea is to produce a shear cut as per Dian's earlier post.

Dian, in your case the shear would curl the chip outwards where mine curls it inwards.

By accident AND good luck the shear tool that works so nicely on my shaper curls the chip away towards the cut in a linear version of your idea. It's a concept which can only work on very shallow cuts but oh boy does it work well! So I'm thinking your way would work out better.

For anyone with a round insert I think this could be a good idea to try. Although to be fair it would not take much to do it with an HSS cutter either.

Borrowing your idea of working with square stock with an adaptation for a 1/4 or 5/16 square cutter..... The block is too tall doing it this way. If I were to make something like this I'd alter it to use a blank that was cut in half so I could reduce the height of the block. OR, with some fancy grinding the usual angled slot cutter could be ground to include a lot of shear. But how it works in this square block sketch is a lot easier to visualize. I just don't like all this overhang.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shear style fly cutter.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1941073

I in fact have some blocks of hot rolled that need facing and truing to make more "pencil sharpening" tool holders for the QCTP. I might just try this idea for the usual style holder. I have the angles needed in my minds eye but it would be a nasty job to try to show it in a sketch.

I'm also thinking of a two point fly cutter. Not where the to cutters are matched and aligned. But one intended for facing off hot rolled metal with a rougher and then at a slightly smaller diameter a .005 to .01 shear finisher for the nicest finish. So not a two cutter tool but rather two single point flycutters in one tool. For the rougher I'm thinking the "unused" corner of a CCMT insert. Then the shear style finisher could be something like dian's round insert or an HSS shearing cutter.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
              I've been away for a few days so catching up.

JT, I suspect you posted reply #62 in response to my earlier post.
              Nope, not you, mostly Dian. Your post needed no comment!
              CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
              X