Can anyone ID this vise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone ID this vise?

I did a search in various places, and came up with nothing, although I have a feeling I have seen one like it somewhere in a thread.

Anyhow, this it the item, found recently, and nabbed as a curiosity, if nothing else.

It has pipe jaws under the regular ones, you can see in one pic. The open pic is about as far as it goes.

On one side it says "380A", and on the other, it has " patented Aug 20 1912". I found no other markings anywhere, and it seems to be all there, although I have doubts about the washer setup on the screw.

I doubt if it was really a very useful device... the part that guides the jaw is weak-appearing, and I wouldn't advise hammering too hard on the anvil horn either. But it's yet another curious vise.

And, there seems to be no applicable patent issued on Aug 20 1912. I dug up the number range, and slogged through it.

Maybe a little anticipation on the part of the makers? To prevent copiers? In those days, looking up a patent would have been hard to do, travel to DC, and go look. Maybe not worth the trouble.

Sorry about the shadows, using a flash was worse for contrast reasons, and I had no other lights handy

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

J,

Are you thinking of this thread posted by G.A. Ewen?

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs...ead.php?t=6729
    Last edited by Mike Burdick; 04-16-2006, 09:11 PM.

Comment

US patent

http://patimg2.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=...iew+first+page
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Yep, the patent is the one.... Thanks.

But when I was searching, I ran out of Aug 20 patents before that number.

They started back at 1035828, lot of patents that week, including a huge number for A.P. Anderson, having to do with starch and pasta. And a non-refillable bottle (why that, I wonder?) and a waiter calling device...... Sheesh, I though recent patents were worthless.......

Obviously I fat-fingered the number somewhere, because I thought I ran out of Aug 20 in the 1035950 range.

If I may ask, how did you locate it that quickly? I spent quite a while searching.....
        Last edited by J Tiers; 04-16-2006, 09:19 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

The bits and pieces, much as in the patent drawing

Nut appears to be almost a commercial square nut, acme threaded.

And I'd STILL like to know how you found the patent so quickly, when over an hour of search didn't find it when I looked..... in act I didn't get halfway TO it, starting at the forst of the Aug 20 listings.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

What wonderful times we live in. To see an item, and then be able to read the original patent is a very cool thing.

I recently bought an item that seemed pretty goofy. Once I learned what the specific purpose of every feature was, I appreciate it so much more.

So many things are disposed of simply because the knowledge is lost.

Comment

Put the word "patent" followed by the number in Google.

This thread might be of interest:

http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/archive/get.phtml?message_id=136095&submit_thread=1
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                Put the word "patent" followed by the number in Google.
                Of course, or go to the USPTO site and search there. But BOTH require the number...... not available here, not on the piece.

In this case, the input data was not a patent number, but only a patent date....... apparently there were over 200 patents issued that day, probably Friday, as they issued patents on the 13th, the 20th, and the 27th, 1 week apart.

For old patents prior to 1976, only the number and maybe inventor name are searchable-on.

I had to zero in on the date range by trying numbers, and then look at each patent to see if it was the right one. 200 patents takes a while....

JRouche got it in a few minutes........ far shorter than the time I had NOT to get to it..... maybe he had some special approach?

Unless he simply as a lucky chance started at the END of the list for that date, instead of the BEGINNING as I did.

The thread is obviously the same thing. Obviously one of those guys may have attorney access.... different from us mere voting, taxpaying peons. He can search on category, but at least up to recently, via web the proletariat cannot.
                Last edited by J Tiers; 04-17-2006, 01:08 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Mail

You know, if you can mail the vise to me; within 15-20 yrs., I might be able to give a positive ID, plus send you back a report of how useful it was in my shop. Seriously, haven't seen 1 like that since I was a pup and that's been awhile. What would the shipping weight be?

Comment

If you have to ask, you can't afford it......

Hit's won a dem anty-kews, ah ain gon hit it with nothin.

Prob'ly weighs around 15-20 lb. It isn't a solid chunk, actually isn't that good an item.... strictly "consumer".

But is has a certain sort of "style" to it.....

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

But is has a certain sort of "style" to it.....
                      Yeah, early iron age...
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

JTiers,

Slightly OT, as to your vise, but your remark, in post 2, a "non-refillable bottle",
                        wonder if they could have been invented that far back?

I would think the purpose was to stop what you see in some restaurants, the waitresses pouring partially used bottles of catsup and the like into another. Or to keep them from filling, say, a Heinz bottle with generic from a 5 gallon bucket.

Not supposed to, probably even illegal, to do so.

Interesting thread.

Cheers,

George

Comment

Evan: Not "early", rather more like "late middle" or even "late" Iron age. 1912, and sometime within 17 years of that, brings us to 1929 at the latest, quite near the end of the real US "iron age", which ended over time from the 40's to late 50's. Really probably with WWII.

gmatov: maybe, you can see for yourself, PN 1035900.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                          X