Tiny Inline 4 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny Inline 4 Engine

Hey all, thought I would show a few pics of the first few pieces i have made for the Tiny Inline 4 engine designed by Kelly Kubischta. Those are the rocker towers made from brass on my cnc X2 clone mini mill.
    Attached Files

Pretty neat! You work with a microscope?!
    Southwest Utah

Comment

Forgot to mention that it's a 1" screwless vise and a 3/32" endmill. I made the first 2 rockers the same way, but I'm not happy with how thin it is in parts, so I may make the roller thinner and so the rocker parts can be a little thicker.

Other picture is of the valve cover breather cap.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
        Pretty neat! You work with a microscope?!
        I havent used a microscope yet, but some of the parts are right on the limit of what I can comfortably see while working on them.

Comment

Dang that is small, the rocker tower closest to your index finger looks like the pins bore was drilled crooked? or is that an illusion ?

will be neat to see it all together...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            Dang that is small, the rocker tower closest to your index finger looks like the pins bore was drilled crooked? or is that an illusion ?

will be neat to see it all together...
            That one is straight. I ended up making 6 in total because I drilled one crooked and wanted a spare in case I messed up something along the way

Comment

Found a video of one of these engines for those interested in what a finished product looks and sound like.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe2vioXrIKg

Comment

Very nice - thing raps out pretty good, is it a pushrod engine or OHC ? the rockers look like roller rockers designed to ride directly on the cams lobe but don't see evidence of anything under the front cover that would drive a cam up that high so that's why I ask... if it's pushrod it really does like the RPM's and pretty good response....

Comment

It is pushrod. I'm sure it could probably be fine without rollers, but they add to the overall "coolness" of the engine, so I will probably keep them.

Its 3/8" bore and 1/2" stroke. The designer bored his out a little bigger and tried pushing it as hard as he could.

I started with some of the parts I had stock for, the "bigger" pieces I need to make an order.

Comment

I made all the pins and pushrods from 0.094 piano wire. In sure it's not the best way, but I cut them roughly with a dremel, then clamped the dremel to the toolpost of the lathe and ground them down to the correct length.

The spark plugs are made from 1/4" hex 12L14 and corian with a 1/32 piano wire for the conductor.

The plans call for the radiator to be made from aluminum and epoxied together. I made this test piece just from hardware aluminum, but it's so gummy I didnt like working with it. I will probably remake it all with some better alloy at a later date.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That's some super nice work. And I gotta say that it's great to see someone posting a project thread.

Will be enjoying this for a few days to come I'm thinking.

I'm also thinking that if it were me doing this that I'd have a permanent band around my head from using the magnifying hood almost the whole time I was in the shop....
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I lurk around here and homemodelenginemachinist a bit, but for the most part, I like the people around here.

I've been reading some of the other threads about lack of machining content here, so I figured I would post what I've been working on.

My abilities are no where near what a lot of posters here can do, but with these little pieces, if I mess one up, I can just start again and it doesnt cost much.

In sure this is going to be a long term project. I have a full time job and 2 young kids, so I dont make it to the shop too often. I have sort of been trying to complete one setup each time I make it out there, then it slowly comes together.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragons_fire View Post
                          Hey all, thought I would show a few pics of the first few pieces i have made for the Tiny Inline 4 engine designed by Kelly Kubischta. Those are the rocker towers made from brass on my cnc X2 clone mini mill.
                          Very nice! I also like the two blocks you've attached to your 1" vise. I resorted to mounting mine to a plate, but I can see how the blocks would be more versatile.

Comment

So after seeing the rocker arms sitting on the USB connector and being taunted into looking back at the vise picture.... How big is the small vise held in the big vise? I'm thinking that they don't come along much "cuter" than that ! ! ! ! And did you buy or make that little thing?
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                              . . .How big is the small vise held in the big vise? . . .
                              Post #3:
                              Originally posted by Dragons_fire View Post
                              . . . it's a 1" screwless vise and a 3/32" endmill. . .
                              Southwest Utah

Comment

Working...
                              X