Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tiny Inline 4 Engine

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    So after seeing the rocker arms sitting on the USB connector and being taunted into looking back at the vise picture.... How big is the small vise held in the big vise? I'm thinking that they don't come along much "cuter" than that ! ! ! ! And did you buy or make that little thing?
    It's a 1" screwless vise. It's actually just bolted with M4 bolts through the aluminum on either side, and then bolted down to the t-slots with 1/4-20 bolts. I picked it up on sale a little while ago. I find the hardest part of working with tiny parts, is just getting them set up properly in a vise. It would be almost I.possible to set up the rockers to drill by holding them in the 8" Kurt.

    Comment


    • #17
      Last night I made 2 cylinder liners from C954 bronze. Hopefully that's alright instead of the called for CI. I also started 2 pistons but I will probably remake them with a bit of stub out the front face, so I have something to hold while doing the rest of the machining.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #18
        I seem to have also forgotten to add that I started the camshaft a few days ago as well. It's just rough turned from O1 drill rod. The lobes need to be machined still and the journals are all a few thousand over size.
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #19
          Layed out the parts I had completed a few days ago to send a pic to a buddy. Since then I have made the air filter mount and the flywheel mount, and then a few other pulleys and pins that I havent taken any pics of.

          My cnc mill spindle is powered by an old treadmill motor that I'm running reverse from the direction indicated on it. The brushes were out fairly quickly and I was getting lots of sparking. Last night i disassembled it all and set it up on the lathe to center drill the ends of the shaft, then i mounted it and turned the commutator down to bright copper. Then i made some brass shims and mounted new brushes. It's a lot quieter and cooler than before, and has no arcing at all anymore.

          I tried engraving onto a piece of brass to make the pushrod cover, but I broke a few 1mm endmills in the process. I have a much better 1/16" endmill, so I switched to it and started cutting, but then the cheap import x-axis driver overheated and shut down, so it messed up the part for the third time.

          Turns out the wiring for the driver cooling fans had come loose, so I fixed that and now maybe this evening I will get a chance to try cutting this again.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dragons_fire; 04-29-2021, 07:05 PM.

          Comment

          Working...
          X