Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Yeah I just naturally ended up doing what Joe Lee suggested as I knew there would be trouble that way - I used a skill saw and it worked good enough,,,

You might get by with just an endmill IF you were running the cut with the grain and took some baby steps at first but I had to go against the grain and take almost one full layer of veneer off and it would have been a disaster without an initial barrier/depth cut from the skill saw....

Leave a comment:

• thin-woodsman
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    Wasn't sure where you were coming from in your OP. Guess I missed the whole point !

I'm sure your already aware of this but when ever I cut any veneers or melamine material I always raise the blade about 1/32" and make a score cut so I don't splinter or chip the edge, Then raise the blade and cut through.
    heh, I also misread that at first - as "try THIS when sober" rather than "good luck getting this done if you only got a lathe"

Thanks for the melamine tip. I have a few boards of the stuff to make a cabinet (for an LPS bulb I got off some surplus site or another) out of, haven't worked with it before and that coating looks like it'll chip right off.

Leave a comment:

• 1937 Chief
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Got drunk last night and did some machining --- 26"X33" X 5/8ths", try holding +/- 2/10ths on your lathe with some douglas fir this size and then get back to me...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05598.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1939439

im waiting...

Name:	DSC05597.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1939440

today I will be putting in the precision holes lol
    Thanks for adding a little humor to my life this morning. Stan

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Joe that was the whole point absolutely agree that's why I cut a relief first with my skill saw so I would not totally shred the edges so same page there

lol yeah little bit of overkill there that's for sure
    Wasn't sure where you were coming from in your OP. Guess I missed the whole point !

I'm sure your already aware of this but when ever I cut any veneers or melamine material I always raise the blade about 1/32" and make a score cut so I don't splinter or chip the edge, Then raise the blade and cut through.

JL................

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    And that is why I made the comment about Elf's mast being machined "very slowly" Wow... cannot believe how much it had its way with the entire machine... I think id replace those spindle bearings ...

Leave a comment:

• OaklandGB
    replied
    Machining at 2pm,...after a 6 wobble pop lunch.

https://youtu.be/C8ZJa2HSkYE

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    Where's the lathe ??? all I see is a piece of plywood hanging off the table of a mill.
    Joe that was the whole point

Vertical end mills don't cut clean edges in veneers. Better off using a table saw.
    absolutely agree that's why I cut a relief first with my skill saw so I would not totally shred the edges so same page there

I thought I was bad trying to hold a couple thou in some of my woodworking projects, but not tenths !!

JL................
    lol yeah little bit of overkill there that's for sure

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Where's the lathe ??? all I see is a piece of plywood hanging off the table of a mill.

Vertical end mills don't cut clean edges in veneers. Better off using a table saw.

I thought I was bad trying to hold a couple thou in some of my woodworking projects, but not tenths !!

JL................

Leave a comment:

• elf
    replied
    Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post

how did you turn a 12 foot mast on a 3 foot long lathe??
    Back in the treadle lathe heyday, all lathe beds were made of wood and toolrests were also wooden. So all you really need to turn longer pieces is to attach longer pieces of wood to the lathe bed and fix the tailstock at the end. The wooden extensions didn't even need to be particularly straight as it was hand turned.

Leave a comment:

• Jerrythepilot
    replied
    Maybe he turned it a quarter at a time?

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post

must have fit through his chuck and spindle hole - and turn real slow lol

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by elf View Post
    I turned a 12 foot sailboat mast on my 20"x36" lathe. Try that on your mill

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Talk about insta-karma that's a keeper, and brought a smile to the young lady's face --- sounds like a win win to me,,,

look at it this way with the mill - at least I got to totally test out the DRO fix and it's working like a charm has not skipped a beat since I replaced that surface mount resistor....

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied

Just glad that when I went down there this morning I did not step on a lopped off finger....
    You probably already saw this one: https://www.kctv5.com/arizona-woman-...af8a8235b.html

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied
    Got drunk last night and did some machining --- 26"X33" X 5/8ths", try holding +/- 2/10ths on your lathe with some douglas fir this size and then get back to me...

Name:	DSC05598.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1939439

im waiting...

Name:	DSC05597.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1939440

today I will be putting in the precision holes lol