OT Texas Tesla crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Well, aren't YOU the "nice guy on the block"?

Thank you for the lesson given from your life-long study of the history of technology, and your many papers presented, confirmation through personal excavations in the near East, europe, etc, etc.

Oh, wait, this guy "AKB" is NOT a world expert on the subject, yet he labels the statements as "total BS", and "detached from reality". I think we can safely label HIM "detached from reality" and assume, no doubt correctly, that he has not a clue what the hell he is talking about.

AKB, you are just wrong, and a few hours of study should prove it to you............ well, prove it to others, not to "you".

It seems that you are asserting that the tenement dwellers in ancient Rome were able to master all the tasks of their time. I put it to you that if they were, they would not have been where they were..... any more than the average apartment dweller in NYC is skilled in hunting, farming, driving a team of mules, etc (or even hitching them to the wagon, or doing a "diamond hitch" to attach sacks to a pack saddle).

Sorry to break it to you, but the specialization has been going on for thousands of years, whether you think so or not. A bit of study of history on your part would show that.
    Once again JT you miss the big picture --- it's useless talking to you due to this fact,,, you think everything can be explained just by looking at the past as it's "same ol same ol" and while that was actually true not all that long ago times have changed my old dinosaur friend who's about to become extinct, You have some credible fields that you should really try to stick with them or else it becomes"open ones mouth and insert foot".. you step into it - and then have to try to bail yourself out with dozens of dribble pages after, not interested in your take on anything related as you are already proven inept...

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
      With the battery cells could they not put a "switch" like a diode in between each cell to help prevent a runaway situation? JR
      Lithium ion batteries exhibit what is known as thermal runaway as one failure mode. When the temperature limit is exceeded they short internally and burst into flame. The is a vent normally to release that pressure and when ignited it looks like a roman candle going off. In the tesla battery pack there are several hundred discrete 18650 cells packed close together, when one goes off it raises temperature of its neighbors enough to set them off also. A diode would not help the thermal runaway condition which is probably the most common failure mode like in this car accident.

Comment

The tesla battery pack is comprised of no less than 7100 pieces of the 18650 battery. That battery is the older technology lithium ion chemistry which is famous for thermal runaway and bursting into flames when either damaged, shorted or the temp exceeds its runaway temp. A newer technology lithium chemistry is Lithium-iron-phospate which does not present nearly the dangers of the older lithium ion type, they still can thermal runaway but usually just result in a huge smoke bomb episode without the dramatic fire. The newer lithium iron phosphate types also come in much larger and higher capacity prismatic cell configurations.

Also, lithium ion batteries do not contain "raw" lithium to cause a fire hazard, it is lithium IONS that are in their chemistry. Its the huge power release during thermal runaway that causes the fireworks. The thermal runaway is usually initiated by some sort of physical damage, such as in this crash. Improper/over charging can also start the fireworks show.
        Last edited by Sparky_NY; 04-21-2021, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Who knew the old Winnebago cruise control legends would come true?

Comment

I hope the Transportation Department is correct when they say traffic deaths will drop by 90 percent when driverless cars come into their own. Even if only half of that comes true it will be great.

Comment

Originally posted by jimsehr View Post
              I hope the Transportation Department is correct when they say traffic deaths will drop by 90 percent when driverless cars come into their own. Even if only half of that comes true it will be great.
              I would expect it to go UP for a while at least. The way some folks drive, they will be getting into accidents with the driverless cars on a regular basis. If those folks were off the road, along with the drunks, we'd cut the toll in half easily, and likely considerably more.

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Once again JT you miss the big picture --- it's useless talking to you due to this fact,,, you think everything can be explained just by looking at the past as it's "same ol same ol" and while that was actually true not all that long ago times have changed my old dinosaur friend who's about to become extinct, You have some credible fields that you should really try to stick with them or else it becomes"open ones mouth and insert foot".. you step into it - and then have to try to bail yourself out with dozens of dribble pages after, not interested in your take on anything related as you are already proven inept...
              Whereas YOU have proven yourself an expert on any subject you choose to discuss? Big picture? Explain your "big picture", or it is basically just another "exhaust restriction that increases power" claim.

"Bail out"? Nah, you are just bloviating. You clearly do not understand what you just wrote. Your own foot fits your mouth quite well, that has been shown.

I suggest you read history. You might learn something. The THINGS change, but the constant is "People". You'd see that. And, by the way, the existence of "history" indicates that so far, we have muddled along successfully. No guarantee for the future, but....... if some people lose the ability to drive a car, well, there are plenty who can't do it now, but they are on the road. THAT is unlikely to undo the foundations of civilization.

You seem to have forgotten, but the original comment that drew your ire was that folks have complained about the "old ways" becoming extinct for thousands of years..... THAT complaint, which you yourself made a version of, is certainly not new, which I said. But, whether the activity is plaiting buggy whips, or driving a car, etc, it has the potential to disappear as a skill when it becomes un-needed by most. That is not a comment on whether any particular activity SHOULD be un-needed.

I doubt you can/will read what was just written, at least with understanding (your track record is not good), so whatever.
              Last edited by J Tiers; 04-21-2021, 09:18 PM.
              4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

in a sloth like form,,,
                hey! sloths are pretty darn cool thanks very much. I'd like to see how well you do if you tried to do everything upside down. They're pretty good swimmers too, especially when they're after the lady sloths.

Comment

In at least some of the crashes of Teslas, the most important factor seems to have been ultimately over-hype of the "driver assist". To be fair, TESLA has never claimed it is a full driverless system
                  First part is very much true, second part HA HA HA HA HA WHOO WHOO HO HE HE HA HA HA. Tesla not over-hyping something. Oh, my, that brings tears to my eyes. The whole Elon Musk/ Tesla combo is built around total dominance of the hype making machine. Just look at the cybertruck or the 300,000 people who put a deposit ($1000? $3000?) down for Tesla 3s that didn't even have a functional factory to build them with at the time. True there are definitely warnings against using it as an autopilot but Tesla calls it fricking AUTOPILOT! https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

Comment

You have to wonder what observation led the original investigators to determine that one person was in the back seat and one was in the front passenger seat.

If the autopilot "driver awareness test" is as simple as checking for the driver moving the wheel from time to time, that's easily replicated from the passenger seat. As many people have found, it's often trivial to fool the "passenger detectors" built into car seats.

I can imagine a scenario where (for grins) they cross wired the driver and passenger seat sensors and went for a ride with Otto Pilot doing the driving.

Dan
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I don't know that I WANT to imagine how that was observed..... but I suppose they looked at where the bodies were. Seems unlikely that a crash would throw anyone into the back seat, unless it was a multiple rollover, which it could have been for all we know.

They could have BOTH been back there maybe, except for the "driver is present" sensor, which may be a bit more than a steering detector. Weight in the seat, an image on a camera that looks like a driver who is not asleep, or dropping off, etc.
                      4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...d-to-this-site

Comment

"I am from the government and I am here to help."

Originally posted by jimsehr View Post
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                            Meanwhile I will stick with my very old 100-yr old and proven tech..
                            You have an electric car?
                            https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...30-to-present/

Always entertaining to remember that ICE cars only predate electric ones by about a decade

Comment

Whereas YOU have proven yourself an expert on any subject you choose to discuss? Big picture? Explain your "big picture",
                              ok - give me a second im looking to have a little fun first

or it is basically just another "exhaust restriction that increases power" claim.
                              claim? get real --- your phat little ass is actually getting carried around with a proven method right now --- it's called a turbo charger,

or are you referencing my intake preheat system on the pea shooter? oh ok, no restriction there JT - it's shielding around the OUTSIDE of the cat, get it? and yeah it does increase power for the amount of fuel consumed so overall USABLE BTU value and therefore total power out of a gallon of fuel is yeah you got it - increased, any other questions I can help clear up for you please feel free to make another lame ass attempt at trying to discredit someone who know's way more about engines than you could ever dream of, told you before stick to things like wheel barrows and stuff ok?

Now - for the bigger picture thing, and I will try to be civil with you as I did "kinda" fly off the handle" on my first reply simply because I do find it "upsetting"

Your statement of "nothing new here" is what set me off - you continue to go on babbling about people have always done different things and enabled them to back out of other things in fact a baker can just bake or someone else can just focus on their specific "task" and become an expert at it and they don't even need a horse and buggy - they can just hire someone to do the driving and own the carriage - blah blah blah all good JT what a wonderful enlightenment...

that's not what im talking about at all - go back and read post 26, there is something incredibly "new" about our current "malfunction" and all that we keep ADDING to it, and that's that an incredible percentage of people being able to "opt out" on even the most conventional "choirs" DON'T even have any expertise of any kind - don't even create any kind of product - don't even F'in WORK for cri sakes --- this means one thing and one thing only --- it's on the BACKS of others,,, and the camel is about to collapse --- so yeah the autonomous vehicle is particularly UPSETTING and now they will start to actually be purchased for said "sloths" (sorry Matt im trying to come up with a better term but the shoe does kinda fit for now)

Now granted in past history there have been small exceptions for a few unfortunate souls that were suffering due to circumstances mostly out of their control, maybe get a sack of potatoes dropped off,
                              but NEVER have their been SO MANY pounding their fists on their table (and I use the term "their" loosely as technically they don't even own that) demanding that their golden chariot show up with driver to take them to the market and get all the goodies they need, Does history have a mass example of that? and if it does you think we should heed the warning signs ---? Sorry JT thing's were far to "cruel" for that to happen back in the day, and resources generally limited, people needed to at least show they were making an effort - or they simply died, that's my whole point, as if the dumbing down was not already at epic scale now they won't even need to drive fer cri sakes.... So --- Buy them a self driving vehicle - so they can opt out on even that, brilliant.... lets get them those new automated toilets too at 1500 bucks a pop so they don't even have to wipe their own butts shall we???

Oh but I know --- "Nothing new here" ----------------- BULLOCKS! It's going the exact opposite of what needs to happen and it's never even been just a fraction of the scale that it now is - it's a detachment enabling and in that respect its working wonderfully as even more will "sign up" for the drone like existence, Id say it's creating a "mindset" but it's more like removing ones brain altogether.... But don't worry - there's still a few people out there that will take care of you, and a few others that will write a program for you... How nice, no red flags there sounds peachy...

Comment

LI batteries are being deployed massively to the common use world. We're in something of a 'honeymoon" period with them, all roses and sweets. Need to be aware of the entire life cost of these items.

Underwriters Labs' statement about LI batteries:
                                “Lithium-ion battery technology is
                                not intrinsically safe. Short circuit,
                                overcharge, over-discharge, crush,
                                and high temperature can lead to
                                thermal runaway, fire, and
                                explosion” UL Laboratories
                                Trash hauler and recycler associations are issuing warnings internally and to their customers about disposal if LI batteries in curb side trash. When they run the trash through the normal compactor trucks, they are getting fires and explosions from crushed or damaged LI batteries.

LI batteries might be effective and efficient IF all the risks are mitigated and the resulting "waste" is handled properly. We have not yet seen the full impact of the spent or damaged battery waste stream. How and where do all these battery wastes get disposed of? Just an open question, not meant to be pro, or anti battery or inflammatory in any way..
                                S E Michigan

Comment

Working...
                                X