OT Texas Tesla crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post
    LI batteries are being deployed massively to the common use world. We're in something of a 'honeymoon" period with them, all roses and sweets. Need to be aware of the entire life cost of these items.

Trash hauler and recycler associations are issuing warnings internally and to their customers about disposal if LI batteries in curb side trash. When they run the trash through the normal compactor trucks, they are getting fires and explosions from crushed or damaged LI batteries.

LI batteries might be effective and efficient IF all the risks are mitigated and the resulting "waste" is handled properly. We have not yet seen the full impact of the spent or damaged battery waste stream. How and where do all these battery wastes get disposed of? Just an open question, not meant to be pro, or anti battery or inflammatory in any way..
    Local City trash hauling has had a couple trucks destroyed by fires. They were ascribed to faults in the trucks, and that may be true, but no assessment was ever made as to whether something in the load may have been the true cause.

Lots of videos of what happens if something punctures the cell and damages the cell structure, which is usually a heating with heating and smoking developing into a rather hot fire. Trach trucks compact the load for efficiency, and one is then at the mercy of whatever was around any battery that might be in there. A piece of wood with a couple nails could be enough to cause an issue.

The only good thing is that electronics that go in the trash generally do not work, and probably sat around long enough for the batteries to discharge at least partially, if they were not the original problem, which they may have been. Some Li batteries seem to self-discharge rather slowly, however, so that is no guarantee.

I have very few Li batteries in the house. I'm stuck with the phones and laptop computers, but I have not jumped on the bandwagon for portable power tools. I do NOT like current Li batteries. Waiting for the next wave. And possibly the ban on old LI batteries, recalls etc in some areas.

There was just a fire in the basement of a house down the street a couple nights ago. No cause known yet, but the house was being rehabbed. No paints etc down there, according to the owner, who had been in the house that day, but there easily could have been portable power tools on charge, I don't know about that possibility.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Contrary to popular misinformation and unfounded opinion, most people do want to work, but many fall into the "poverty trap", and it is exceedingly difficult to extricate oneself from that abyss.

Most of us have been blessed with privilege, which may include having supportive parents, good education, and even physical abilities, intelligence, cleverness, and emotional toughness. We may see people who are living with government assistance and who appear to be able to work, but we may not see mental illness, hidden physical disabilities, criminal past, debts, and having to care for children or aging parents. There may be a few people who "game the system" and live lavishly on various forms of assistance and fraud, but accusing people of demanding everything be given to them so they can live a life of leisure at society's expense is highly disingenuous, ignorant, and hypocritical.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
        (snip)

Now granted in past history there have been small exceptions for a few unfortunate souls that were suffering due to circumstances mostly out of their control, maybe get a sack of potatoes dropped off,
        but NEVER have their been SO MANY pounding their fists on their table (and I use the term "their" loosely as technically they don't even own that) demanding that their golden chariot show up with driver to take them to the market and get all the goodies they need, Does history have a mass example of that? and if it does you think we should heed the warning signs ---?

(snip more)
        Sigh. AK, you've shown us an ugly part of yourself. Go away and watch Hate TV some more.

George, I know the vBulletin software allows a "dislike" button. Could you perhaps enable it? I promise not to abuse it.

-js
        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

Sigh. AK, you've shown us an ugly part of yourself. Go away and watch Hate TV some more.

George, I know the vBulletin software allows a "dislike" button. Could you perhaps enable it? I promise not to abuse it.

-js
          Oh "know" -- are you uncomfortable with the facts? oh George im so sorry I did not mean to upset you --- oh damn --- can I send you a box of chocolates or something? how bout a pill to lower the blood pressure --- autonomous vehicle? oh damn i feel terrible now... grow a sac....

Comment

Oh "know" -- are you uncomfortable with the facts? oh George im so sorry I did not mean to upset you --- oh damn --- can I send you a box of chocolates or something? how bout a pill to lower the blood pressure --- autonomous vehicle? oh damn i feel terrible now... grow a sac....
            I've said it before and it bears repeating...you are full of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post

I've said it before and it bears repeating...you are full of yourself.
              And iv said this before and now guess it also needs repeating --- you are full of something completely different...

Comment

Don't make me sick the Dooze on you two - you think im being a little too real I guarantee you both will think im totally pleasant after that guy gets done with you....

Comment

well that went south quickly....

at least Doozer always has something interesting to say, even if it's occasionally delivered with the grace of a brick through a window

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                    well that went south quickly....

at least Doozer always has something interesting to say, even if it's occasionally delivered with the grace of a brick through a window
                    I know right -- it's like "wow that escalated quickly" and all this from a tesla that crashed in texas,,, which begs the question --- how did they even get the damn car charged up in that state in the first place??? was it from out of state?

Comment

Texas is a "red" state, but is not so backward as to have no charging stations. And anyone can put one in their house. It seems that the owner lived there. I'd bet you can even buy a Prius there, despite the "Prius repellent".

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Texas produces 25% of its power from renewable energy you know...

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                          Texas produces 25% of its power from renewable energy you know...
                          I know and that really is a good thing (when it's up and running)

in fact they lead the nation in doing so - so in that respect kudos although im sure allot will disagree with that...

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

All of the reports I have seen online have led me to think that somebody is lying like crazy. The "autopilot" cannot function without a driver in the seat, nor without lane markings. And no, it doesn't take that long to put out a battery fire, nor did it take that long. They had the bulk of it out in 15 minutes. I think, but cannot prove, that it may have been a suicide pact, or a murder-suicide. I'm sure the authorities are not being completely up-front about their findings, and I am equally sure that Tesla is not being completely up-front either.

Meanwhile I will stick with my very old 100-yr old and proven tech. Fortunately my new job (as of last year) does not require me to drive so much. Previously I was averaging 80 miles/128 km per day. Not any more. Now is more like 2 miles/3km per day.
                            More research eh?

https://jalopnik.com/consumer-report...uto-1846739330

Comment

I know and that really is a good thing (when it's up and running)

in fact they lead the nation in doing so - so in that respect kudos although im sure allot will disagree with that...
                              Iowa is likely not far behind.

But that is a case of hunting where the deer are. If you want wind powered generators, you must go to places where there is a lot of wind. Texas has it. Iowa has it, some other places are not so well provided with wind in good locations.

So it is not as if they SOUGHT to have wind turbines, they just have the place where such things work, and they were not "on it" early enough to ban them. Other similarly oriented areas have active campaigns going to ban wind turbines altogether.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                                Meanwhile I will stick with my very old 100-yr old and proven tech. Fortunately my new job (as of last year) does not require me to drive so much. Previously I was averaging 80 miles/128 km per day. Not any more. Now is more like 2 miles/3km per day.
                                Not being argumentative, but I hear similar lamenting from my mom. She drives a 2010 Cadillac because she does not like the new technology. Mom wants "trusted technology" but she still wants the 10,000 miles or more between service. She also uses the "miles remaining" on the digital display as a gas gauge. She has no idea how many computers there are in her car but she knows that she does not want a "new fancy one".

But when you claim transportation that uses 100 year old tech, what could that possibly be? A 1921 Model T, perhaps? A 1921 ranger bicycle, complete with acetylene tank to power the "headlamp" perhaps? You can't buy a car made in the last 50 years that does not have improved suspension and running gear as well as superb ignition and fuel management.

Dan
                                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X