No announcement yet.

A new attempt at making piston rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's not even a v-groove holder. It's a flat bottom. Shame on me.
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• I just got a quote from Caliber Industrial Supply in Ontario for one Thin-bit holder and two very narrow carbide tips (which they sell in minimum quantities of 10) for a grand total of $429.00 Canadian funds. This makes the $75 I just paid for a double ended HSS tool look pretty darned cheap by comparison.---Brian
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
        I just got a quote from Caliber Industrial Supply in Ontario for one Thin-bit holder and two very narrow carbide tips (which they sell in minimum quantities of 10) for a grand total of $429.00 Canadian funds. This makes the $75 I just paid for a double ended HSS tool look pretty darned cheap by comparison.---Brian
        I have both commercial and homemade thinbit holders. They are pretty easy to make. Prices north of the border are just insane. They have packages of assorted size bits, I have a couple packs.

Comment

• Many years ago I made toolholder that held a dnmg insert on the side. That allowed me to grind spent inserts into special small grooving tools. Worked great and I still use it quite a bit. Even though the tip is gone on an insert, there is still a useable chuck of good carbide contained within. Remember the goal of a machinist is simply to present a suitable cutting edge to the work piece to do the job at hand....

Some old timers I used to work with would braze an old insert to a chunk of steel, resharpening into whatever edge they needed. They'd use it till it was gone, then braze another one on. Whatever works.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
            Some old timers I used to work with would braze an old insert to a chunk of steel, resharpening into whatever edge they needed. They'd use it till it was gone, then braze another one on. Whatever works.
            I have done that many times to whip up a boring bar, works great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

Yup, it's an arrow worth having in your quiver for sure.

Comment

• This is a video I made today, 11-june-2021 of my vertical i.c. engine 2021. I have been trying to make a set of cast iron rings for the piston, and as part of that I built a new cylinder and new piston to accept cast iron rings, but ultimately I was not successful. Finally I decided that I should put this engine back together, so I enlarged the top ring groove to .093" wide x 0.058" deep and put a Viton ring on it. This engine can now go up on the shelf with all of my other engines. I am still after cast iron rings that actually work, but will be trying them out on a different engine that is a lot simpler to take apart and access the piston.----Brian
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WlBP_TUFw
                Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• And this is one of my other engines which I tried to run cast iron rings on and failed miserably. I have restored the original piston with a Viton ring on it, and of course it runs like a trooper. I wanted to make sure that both engines ran well before putting them back up "on the shelf". This engine is a noisy devil, because the spur gears are not enclosed in a metal housing. I am still pursuing the cast iron ring magic, but I'm not there yet. I have another engine to try cast iron rings on, but it is a much simpler engine to change pistons on.----Brian
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsawOLaNGU
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• I am going to try this one more time, but there is a possibility that the cast iron I purchased may not be right for the job. Does anyone know if there is a place in Ontario that sells "Meehanite"? I'm having a problem finding it.---Brian
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Hi Brian, at risk of exposing my lack of knowledge about metallurgy… Meehanite as such (being a specific brand) is a challenge/impossible to find in my locale, however finding ductile/nodular/spheroidal is much easier. Won’t that do for your purpose as opposed to “common” gray cast iron?

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                        I am going to try this one more time, but there is a possibility that the cast iron I purchased may not be right for the job. Does anyone know if there is a place in Ontario that sells "Meehanite"? I'm having a problem finding it.---Brian
                        Meehanite is a copyrighted trade name. It has more to do with the process than the alloy. Here is a listing of the many different alloys made by Meehanite and a wealth of information on them. In the brochure under type GC275 they list piston rings as typical applications. https://meehanitemetal.com/wp-conten...09.07.2013.pdf

I found a couple references that grade 250 is suitable for piston rings. Here is one reference https://www.nogginend.com/product/Ca...nite-Round-Bar

Last edited by Sparky_NY; 06-14-2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Here is one more reference, see page 25. Meehanite CG275 meets ASTM A48 (class 40) which is a pretty common designation.

https://meehanitemetal.com/wp-conten...-HANDBOOK2.pdf

Comment

• I've been getting it from this Company: https://terranovasteel.ca/

I use the 65K for rings but there is a harder grade which I haven't tried. I normally pick up my supply but they will send it.

Geoff

Comment

• Thank you, gentlemen.---Brian
                              Brian Rupnow
                              Design engineer
                              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

I used to weld 1/4 or 5/16 HSS to bars with my buzzbox.... always worked for me..

Comment

Working...
                                X