No announcement yet.

A new attempt at making piston rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would have just made a strap across the top of the squares,a bolt each side........way less work..

Comment

• Found something out today. Two weeks ago I ordered a "Fine India Stone" from Sharpening Supplies .com on the internet. Today I went searching for it because two weeks should get it from anywhere in the USA. I phoned Canada Post with the tracking number supplied by Sharpening Supplies. Canada Post informs me that the stone shipped out of Sweden a week ago. What???---Sweden?? Okay, maybe I've been had. Of course, Sharpening Supplies never indicated that the stone was coming from Sweden. It doesn't really matter, I don't have any urge to do much machining right now, but still----
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Yeah Brian I also see this ships from the usa routine .
        For shipping speed on ebay I'll look for a usa or Canadian seller (3-4 days) as opposed to the month it takes from China. Being cagey, the listing says USA seller. Well the seller likely has a USA address or email address. The stuff ships expedited from China which reduces the time to 2-3 weeks from the 5-6 weeks. Still it pisses me off as I was expecting the 3-4 days.

Lately I'm getting slow service as a shipper such as Fedex when loaded with orders will hand a truckload of smaller packages off to the US post office. Well that's a giant black hole and often the parcel is lost forever once the US post gets their meat hooks on it. Or it adds another 10-12 days.

I have this visual of some twit at some big city hub post office snow shoveling small packages into a barrel to be buried somewhere.
        Last edited by I make chips; 06-25-2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• it's not the USPO, it's that moron Louis DeJoy, and his deliberate slowdown of delivery, which is actually intended to destroy the USPO. The USPO is full of good folks who want to do a good job, if Louis has not yet fired all of them.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            it's not the USPO . . . .
            You are correct. It is the USPS.
            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• Originally posted by aostling View Post

You are correct. It is the USPS.
              Well, while not the point I was making, you are correct.

Call it what you will, the current boss is trying to destroy it. One of those "we have to destroy this village to save it" things.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

• It's raining here today. I am fully vaccinated and bored, so I went out this morning and made a tour thru my tool shops. Came home and had a sleep.--And now it's time to move a little farther along with my pursuit of making cast iron rings. This time I wanted to modify the piston on an engine which needs no (or very little) disassembly to access the piston. I've decided that my air cooled side-shaft engine is a prime candidate. It runs very well, and by simply removing the two con rod bolts I can pull the con rod and piston out of the engine without doing anything else. The new piston will be aluminum instead of cast iron (mainly because aluminum is cheaper and I have some here). The new piston will be nominally 0.002" less in diameter than the bore of the cylinder. The rings will be 1 mm (0.039") x 1 mm (0.039") in cross section. The rings will be made following the Trimble method as much as I am able to.

Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• This is a video made today showing the side-valve engine running. I had to mess around with fuel tanks, but other than that the engine runs very well. Next step will be to make the new piston and rings and install them on the engine without changing any of the engine settings.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qztvrsjyytk
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• This mornings work was to machine a new piston with grooves for cast iron rings, setting alongside the old cast iron piston with a Viton ring. The old piston was 1.006" diameter and was almost an air-tight fit in the cylinder. The new piston is 1.005" diameter. Now I wait until my "fine India stone" arrives from Sweden so I can make the rings.
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Have you already made the Trimble circular fixture for heat treating?

What did you decide on for the cast iron ring stock?
                      Last edited by Sparky_NY; 06-26-2021, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• No, the only Trimble thing I have made is the ring cleaver. I am going to use the cast iron that I already have for ring stock.
                        Brian Rupnow
                        Design engineer
                        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                          No, the only Trimble thing I have made is the ring cleaver. I am going to use the cast iron that I already have for ring stock.
                          Were you able to identify the spec/grade of the cast you have?

Comment

• Would it be fair to assume that the grade Brian has now is at least "reasonable", since it passes the "spring it over the piston" test without either breaking or deforming?

Grades that one may not want to use quite likely would not pass that test. Not all of the possible grades, but many.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

• I’m certainly no expert on this subject. Only having built a couple car engines. But don’t piston rings usually have a slight taper on the od. Thus dots on the top face to show how to assemble.

Comment

• no704--Some automotive rings do, some don't. Any rings that I know of for home-built i.c. engines don't have that taper.---Brian
                                Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X