Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"OT"... About that lack of traffic here.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "OT"... About that lack of traffic here.....

I have noticed a downturn in traffic on a number of boards/forums that I frequent. In some cases sub forums go for weeks with no postings, even though they may have been fairly active quite recently.

I don't think it is something just about this one, although I would not entirely discount additional factors that are "special to" HSM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

I have to wonder if this may be the result of changes in our life style due to the Covid virus. Personally I am retired, but I would think that there are many with families where one of the two jobs that the family counted on has been lost. A machining hobby can quickly be pushed into the closet when you are worrying about feeding the family.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Without getting into politics we are afraid to voice our opinions for fear we might upset something. Today, who knows what it would be.

I'm afraid to post this!

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
        Without getting into politics we are afraid to voice our opinions for fear we might upset something. Today, who knows what it would be.
        Do you use the same internet that I do?

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

Some people seem to think that the entire point of the internet is confrontation. I disagree. There are better uses for my energy than that. The US at least is awash in confrontation nowadays, is more of it really necessary? We see the results of it in the news every day. I see a lot of ad hominem on here lately, but not as bad as PM -- Yet. When this place gets as bad as PM, I'll stop posting here too.
          Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 04-22-2021, 10:01 PM.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Some people seem to think that the entire point of the internet is confrontation. I disagree. There are better uses for my energy than that. The US at least is awash in confrontation nowadays, is more of it really necessary? We see the results of it in the news every day. I see a lot of ad hominem on here lately, but not as bad as PM -- Yet. When this place gets as bad as PM, I'll stop posting here too.
            YES! Agree 100% Wish we lived closer, I'd invite you for a shop visit, and maybe a cold one.
            I cut it off twice; it's still too short
            Oregon, USA

Comment

I agree.

My problem is that when someone gets in my face, I generally have the instinct to get aggressive as well. I don't react calmly to that sort of thing. It's a guy thing which is hard to get away from without feeling like you are wussing out.

Holdover from the wrestling team, I guess, the coach was ex-Marine Corps, and he was all about going in for the kill, and fighting until you get the kill. One of those "everyone finish up by doing 25 more pushups, and this time with hand claps" kinda guys.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

It's not so much the "arguing" that has turned me off but the apparent increase in "Stupid" questions. I think that is a result of the population at large having been raised (no just grown up ) with no education. :-(
                ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  I have to wonder if this may be the result of changes in our life style due to the Covid virus. Personally I am retired, but I would think that there are many with families where one of the two jobs that the family counted on has been lost..
                  Or the opposite. I don't know anybody without work who wasn't unemployed when the pandemic started. There was a mention in the previous thread on this topic that sping weather may play a factor, and that may actually be playing a big part. I haven't had any machine shop time in two or three weeks; there's a lot of outdoor work to do on top of my actual employment, and there simply aren't enough hours in the day to do everything. People are out and about: the roads and parking lots are packed compared to a month ago.

As for the rest, well, it's the internet. Most posters are acting in good faith except for bots and trolls; you have the luxury of time to determine whether offense was meant, and whether it is worth posting a response. I don't really buy the honor-culture argument either: for the past three decades, we've lived (at least in the US) in a society where responding to an insult will likely get you shot, and even in the best case will lead to jail time for assault. I'm not going to weigh in on whether that change is a good or a bad thing, but anyone who hasn't learned when to let an insult slide is in for a rough time.

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                  It's not so much the "arguing" that has turned me off but the apparent increase in "Stupid" questions. I think that is a result of the population at large having been raised (no just grown up ) with no education.
                  heh ... "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people"
                  Last edited by thin-woodsman; 04-23-2021, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                    It's not so much the "arguing" that has turned me off but the apparent increase in "Stupid" questions. I think that is a result of the population at large having been raised (no just grown up ) with no education. :-(
                    ...lew...
                    I would rather see a stupid question rather than someone getting hurt or ruining a project.
                    This is a great resource with very fine folks with lots of knowledge; stupid question is part of this mix.

Comment

OT- How can I give my car 500 horsepower and get 50 miles per gallon ?

LOL LOL LOL ---D
                      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

You just proved my point.

Comment

I see a lot of ad hominem on here lately, but not as bad as PM -- Yet. When this place gets as bad as PM, I'll stop posting here too.
                          It is unfortunate that the ugliness that was confined within the Manufacturing in America and Europe forum has been allowed to pollute some of the other forums on PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            I have to wonder if this may be the result of changes in our life style due to the Covid virus. Personally I am retired, but I would think that there are many with families where one of the two jobs that the family counted on has been lost. A machining hobby can quickly be pushed into the closet when you are worrying about feeding the family.
                            well, i have been here pretty often for about a year, after a 2-3 year absence. i have more time.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post

It is unfortunate that the ugliness that was confined within the Manufacturing in America and Europe forum has been allowed to pollute some of the other forums on PM.
                              A fair bit of it comes from one person. But there are others.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X