No announcement yet.

Turn light poles for fun or profit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting that the taper bar runs full length of bed. It truly would make a proper tapered light pole.

I wonder what the use ratio is between the two carriages. Am betting the right one is like new.

Comment

I wonder if it is well tooled. The deal breaker for me would be the lack of a threading dial on the second carriage.

Comment

Yeah they look at a new machine.. and go 575 K.. hmm , lets see if the 30 K machine can maybe do this...

Comment

Leveling of the lathe must be a lot of fun...
          Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

If you got the contract to turn stainless poles for NY, that lathe would pay for itself in 1 year, with a dozen poles. I was told how much they pay for those poles some years ago, and basically you could make a down payment on a mortgage, for each pole. In the neighborhood of $8 k per.
            nickel-city-fab
            Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 04-24-2021, 05:22 PM.
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
              The funny thing is it will probably go for a fraction of their asking price. There are not many who can actually use a big lathe like that and often they will be looking at a new machine.

Or wind up rusting away, out in the rain and weather until they haul it to a scrap yard in pieces.
              i have to assume that they didn't post it for what they'd actually take for it, just so someone doesn't buy it and then show up with a propylene torch and remove it in pieces
              -paul

Comment

I think you guys are really looking at this the wrong way.

This lathe is for doing short work pieces, once the bed wears out at that spot you cut that section out and move the headstock in some. Once you get half way through the bed the first carriage is probably worn out so that gets ditched and there is a new one for the last half.

Think of it like a pencil, it starts out real long and ends up short when your done with it but you only use 1 little section at any given time.

Comment

Two carriages
                  yeah. wow.

t
                  rusting in Seattle

Comment

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post
                    I wonder if it is well tooled. The deal breaker for me would be the lack of a threading dial on the second carriage.
                    It probably does have a thread dial on second carriage, the lead screw looks to go all the way.
                    sarge41

Comment

Working...
                    X