No announcement yet.

I retired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forget endless Saturdays..remember this.. Do all your fun travelling, or bike riding weekdays... use the roads less on weekends... too crowded and busy..
    i am doing it the other way.. turned 65 last week of December... just fired up the shop and started working around the 12th of this month. Feels great to be machining again after being away for 5 years.. and to have some income....nice....

Comment

I retire next Friday

Ian
      All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

I might retire before I get to retire.
        Nev.

Comment

You soon forget when public holidays and weekends are, I am in limbo at the moment, as my three days a week volunteering have been cut off due to the lockdown, it will be six months not being to play with mills and lathes. Back to normal in one months time.

Comment

Congratulations Ian.

Comment

Been retired 14 years. Others have said it, keep busy or boredom will kick in and 6 months your friends will have another funeral to go to. I hate that. My first six months, I built a 3 point backhoe for my JD Tractor.
              Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                You soon forget when public holidays and weekends are, I am in limbo at the moment, as my three days a week volunteering have been cut off due to the lockdown, it will be six months not being to play with mills and lathes. Back to normal in one months time.
                I hope you get back to it soon. My father-in-law is in a similar situation - he's volunteered for 10+ years at a local warplane museum. He retired early and drove my MIL crazy because he has no hobbies or interests to keep him busy. This got him out house for a few days a week, gave him some purpose helping people, and a social group to spend time with. Being shut down for over a year has been hard on him, and we've really seen him age because of it.
                Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Congrats, you beat the game. I hope you are blessed with good health and too many projects to fit in your available time !

Comment

I’ll retire 10 months from today!
                    When I get Time... I'll...

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt View Post
                        Anybody here program 'Click' PLCs?
                        They're pretty easy. Lots of resources available from AD.

Comment

It's been about 3 years for my wife and myself. When we go out for lunch I say "look at all those dweebs rushing back to their jobs. He, he, what losers".

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt View Post
                            And quite frankly I hope I never have to see that place again. I actually retired in Jan., but they couldn't find anybody to replace me. So I said I'll come in for half again more money. They bought it. They still can't find anybody, and no I won't give out their info. They're ****s. I wouldn't recommend them to my enemies.
                            So now time for my projects.
                            Anybody here program 'Click' PLCs?
                            What were the big issues with the employer?
                            No desire to take occasional work from them as a consultant at even higher rates?

Comment

I have programmed Clicks at my job. I don’t like the Clicks, they are too simplistic and are actually harder to program because of a very restricted instruction set. If you are putting them in a mass produced product where you just copy the program over and over they are cost effective. I do one offs where programming time costs more than the PLC by a lot. I really like the BRX PLCs which have a huge instruction set.

Comment

I retired in 2017 and I simultaneously retired my alarm clock.
                                I now get up at the crack of whenever, and make my way out to the shop and do whatever.

I just finished a major program (over 6000 lines) on a Click PLC with a touchscreen.
                                It was fun ... I think.
                                I too have an x-boss that keeps calling me back.
                                It seems you and I are the only ones that can do the job. (LOL)
                                I raised my rate to $150 per hour plus expenses - he didn't bat an eye.
                                I hate it when that happens.

Contact me if you want to talk CLICK.

P.S. If you write a piece of software for an industrial machine, it will haunt you for the rest of your life.
                                I supported the software for a machine that I wrote in 1997 until they finally decommissioned it in 2016.
                                I left that company in 2000.
                                Be_Zero_Be
                                ------------------------------------------------------------
                                You Never Used To Be Older

Comment

Working...
                                X