No announcement yet.

I retired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the club Rustybolt. I have been retired for about 9 years. My former co-workers considered retirement to be a tragic event, almost none of them had any interests outside of their career path at "the company". When they asked me what I was going to do now I told them that I had 20 years worth of projects waiting for me. I got the "deer in the headlights" look, they just didn't get it.

Be forewarned, you will be getting requests for babysitting, running grandkids to school etc. now that you aren't working and have "nothing to do".

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      Stay active. Too many people do not, and there is a high percentage of deaths within 5 to 7 years of retirement.
      Well over half🤔

The hardest thing for me being retired is that some days I still wake up thinking I have to go to work. That sucks but not actually having to do it is great.
      Last edited by loose nut; 04-26-2021, 09:31 AM.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

Well over half🤔

The hardest thing for me being retired is that some days I still wake up thinking I have to go to work. That sucks but not actually having to do it is great.
        That's the hardest part for us working folk too

Comment

The best thing about being retired is being retired. I like to be thankful of people that still work and pay In to SS.
          John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

I should have retired 18 moths ago but the gov't extended statutory slaving by a year to pay for the parasites who don't work. Then I got an extension 'cos I thought the extra 6 months would buy a whole workshop. Then It's been so much more relaxed not having to commute during lockdown I have extended another year. Also will need the extra money to pay for my own phone/laptop/printing/internet when on my own resources.

Comment

The old joke:

Wife is bitching at me you were sitting around and didn't do anything yesterday and why are you just sitting around today.

Me: Wasn't done.

Comment

Couple of days ago I walked to a local restaurant for some breaky. As I'm sitting waiting, I realize I don't know what day it is- so I get out of my chair and walk over to a table with 3 older women sitting at it. At first they were looking at me like 'ok, what's with this guy'- then I say I'm just wondering what day it is. They all instantly identify and start cackling their own stories. Turns out it was Thursday, for all it mattered anyway.

Then yesterday I had a craving for a milkshake. I knew of only two places that made a shake the old fashioned way, and one of those had closed due to the 'vid. I pulled into the parking lot of the other place, and surprise- they were closed. With my mind now having a bit of a software malfunction, I resign myself to just having ice cream instead, I head over to a place that had just posted an ad on faceplant, and I realized I used to work with that guy. Over I go- and they're closed. On my way around, I instinctively looked at businesses where I frequent, and see them all closed. Now I'm annoyed- I didn't hear an air raid siren or anything, and I didn't catch any directives from Bonnie Henry regarding stay home or go to jail, so what was going on? Turns out it was Sunday- nothing unusual.

Give me a campsite somewhere for more than a few days and I won't even know what month it is- how's that for retirement freedom-
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I retired about 5 years ago. Wifey did last year. She's having a hard time understanding when I mention almost daily that today is Saturday.

Comment

you lose track of the lesser holidays. you don't know what day it is. people ask you, what are your plans for the long weekend? dude, it's all weekend.

keep a dozen projects going, and spread the budget across all of them, so you always have something you're waiting for, something arriving, and something to do.

you are past three meals a day. a small breakfast, non fattening, not unhealthy snacks five times during the day, a modest dinner. you are no longer at: work hard, take a group break, fuel up,

Comment

Originally posted by john b View Post
                      I like to be thankful of people that still work and pay In to SS.
                      You're welcome!

Comment

Not wishing the years away but I really envy you guys that have been fortunate enough to reach retirement age and then enjoy your remainig years. Good luck to you all.

Here in the UK my official retirement age is 67... that's 11 years away. Only then can I receive my state pension that I've been paying for all my working life. If I'm lucky the Eton brigage won't raise it to 70 before then.

But I won't be playing their game on their terms.

I will be leaving the rat race in 2025, the year in which I turn 60... and retiring to the countryside. My wife and I have done all the maths and although it will be tight financially it will be do-able.

For me every day will be Sunday. And every evening I'll be saying..."Sunday Tommorrow".

I can't say every day will be Saturday as I worked most Saturdays during my life.

I know so many that have worked past their retirement age. Not because they need the money. It's because they have such sad boring empty lives. I wish I had time to be bored! I've got enough projects on the go to take me well beyond the pearly gates.

How I'll get the time to build my country kitchen in my country cottage I just don't know.

And if it doesn't get built... who cares. I'll just be enjoying every single Sunday.

Comment

Can you retired guys explain why the retired folk still have to go shopping on Saturdays, drive places in rush hour and suchlike just getting the way fro people who don't have all the freedom to do it at other times.
                          When my club does fundraising activities half the retirees can 'only spare and hour' at the weekend as they have to go shopping, don't want to help with any organising or putting effort into maintenance etc, but do want a discount on the subs 'cos they are retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                            Can you retired guys explain why the retired folk still have to go shopping on Saturdays, drive places in rush hour and suchlike just getting the way fro people who don't have all the freedom to do it at other times.
                            Old habits are hard to break.
                            I shop late at night, no crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Old habits are hard to break.
                              I shop late at night, no crowds.
                              Old retired guy here.

I don't shop. Rather, I shop with my keyboard. COVID has caused many changes, a few of them are good and aren't going to go away - of course, Work From Home doesn't affect me.

Shopped for xmas from the keyboard. My wife shops for groceries and office supplies from the keyboard. I shop for wine the same way, pick it up (curbside) at Booze R Us every three weeks or so.

I haven't been inside any kind of store (not ever the hardware store) for more than a year.

Life is good.

-js
                              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jonesy;n1940497]

I will be leaving the rat race in 2025, the year in which I turn 60... and retiring to the countryside. My wife and I have done all the maths and although it will be tight financially it will be do-able.

When you say countryside is that a Rural setting or out in small town area in UK?I live in a Rural setting with closet neighbours being a mile away in 2 directions and 3 miles the other 2 direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X