• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonesy
    replied
    [QUOTE=Tundra Twin Track;n1940531]
    Originally posted by Jonesy View Post

I will be leaving the rat race in 2025, the year in which I turn 60... and retiring to the countryside. My wife and I have done all the maths and although it will be tight financially it will be do-able.

When you say countryside is that a Rural setting or out in small town area in UK?I live in a Rural setting with closet neighbours being a mile away in 2 directions and 3 miles the other 2 direction.
    I would love that but my wife wants to be closer to a village. And over here we're crammed in a little tigher than over there. A few hundred yards to the nearest neighbour is as good as I can hope for in the areas we're looking at.

I must have fields on all sides. No sharing anything. Must be minimum 1/3 acre and feel like the countryside in my front and back yards, We're finding suitable places now but won't be enough money left over right now. In a few years we'll be in just the right position financially.

Leave a comment:

• strokersix
    replied
    I retired 5 yrs ago. Took a buyout offer. Finances were tight for a couple years for various reasons. It's all good now. No regrets whatsoever.

I sleep much better at night. Nap during the day if I feel like it. Funny things going on with my heartbeat have all but disappeared (stress response to work and divorce).

I'm as busy as ever but it's on my terms now. Company called me back on contract part time working from home so a little cash flow is nice without the full time stress, commute, etc.

Recommend retirement as soon as you can possibly do it! Or even a little sooner than you think you can.

Leave a comment:

• fjk
    replied
    My wife retired about 5 years ago.

I semi-retired about two years ago. Our savings hit a threshold we set with our financial advisor based on our actual expenses. We finally hit that number and then the company I was working for showed that they “valued diversity” only if the physically diverse employees all agree with the official wisdom as received from on high... too often a “thank you for your 40 years of experience in the field, including helping to invent it, but we do it differently”.

So I had the means, motive, and opportunity to retire

I walked out & ended up taking a consulting job with some friends. I “work” 16 hours a week. It’s stuff that I can do in my sleep, I can do it from anyplace/any time, and it covers about a big part of our living expenses so we don’t have to dip into our savings that much.

Otherwise we spend a lot of time doing whatever we want, when we want - basically diving into hobbies with a vengeance, taking care of our granddaughters, and so on.

frank

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Retirement can be quite good. My wife retired somewhere around 1995. She was sure that we "could not afford it." when the company offered an early retirement package so we did the math. It turns out that she was working mainly to pay off credit card debt and to pay interest on an adjustable rate mortgage. If we refinanced to a modern mortgage and took less than 1/5th of her 401K to pay off the other expenses the amount we needed to live on fell to less than my salary. So she retired at 49 with a nice 401K balance.

I, on the other hand, waited till '98 to take my retirement on a different "early out" package with 25 years service. The next day, at 43 years old, I started work at a different company for 50% more and a nice signing bonus and healthy 401K match. That lasted until the Enron debacle cause my company to shut down the division I was working in. So I retired again. And the next week I was hired back as a consultant. That lasted till I went to work for another big company. I retired from them in 2012 at the age of 57.

My wife says that it took me 3 tries to get it right. I have not worked for pay in the last 9 years. I know the day of the week because of my pill box. I have a calendar that warns me of birthdays and holidays in time for me to respond appropriately. Most days, I have no idea of the month, day or year simply because they don't matter. We record any TV that we want to watch on our DVR AND we skip all the commercials, so we are not even slaves to the TV schedule.

Life is Good.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    [QUOTE=Jonesy;n1940497]

I will be leaving the rat race in 2025, the year in which I turn 60... and retiring to the countryside. My wife and I have done all the maths and although it will be tight financially it will be do-able.

When you say countryside is that a Rural setting or out in small town area in UK?I live in a Rural setting with closet neighbours being a mile away in 2 directions and 3 miles the other 2 direction.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Stewart
    replied
    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Old habits are hard to break.
    I shop late at night, no crowds.
    Old retired guy here.

I don't shop. Rather, I shop with my keyboard. COVID has caused many changes, a few of them are good and aren't going to go away - of course, Work From Home doesn't affect me.

Shopped for xmas from the keyboard. My wife shops for groceries and office supplies from the keyboard. I shop for wine the same way, pick it up (curbside) at Booze R Us every three weeks or so.

I haven't been inside any kind of store (not ever the hardware store) for more than a year.

Life is good.

-js

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by Baz View Post
    Can you retired guys explain why the retired folk still have to go shopping on Saturdays, drive places in rush hour and suchlike just getting the way fro people who don't have all the freedom to do it at other times.
    Old habits are hard to break.
    I shop late at night, no crowds.

Leave a comment:

• Baz
    replied
    Can you retired guys explain why the retired folk still have to go shopping on Saturdays, drive places in rush hour and suchlike just getting the way fro people who don't have all the freedom to do it at other times.
    When my club does fundraising activities half the retirees can 'only spare and hour' at the weekend as they have to go shopping, don't want to help with any organising or putting effort into maintenance etc, but do want a discount on the subs 'cos they are retired.

Leave a comment:

• Jonesy
    replied
    Not wishing the years away but I really envy you guys that have been fortunate enough to reach retirement age and then enjoy your remainig years. Good luck to you all.

Here in the UK my official retirement age is 67... that's 11 years away. Only then can I receive my state pension that I've been paying for all my working life. If I'm lucky the Eton brigage won't raise it to 70 before then.

But I won't be playing their game on their terms.

For me every day will be Sunday. And every evening I'll be saying..."Sunday Tommorrow".

I can't say every day will be Saturday as I worked most Saturdays during my life.

I know so many that have worked past their retirement age. Not because they need the money. It's because they have such sad boring empty lives. I wish I had time to be bored! I've got enough projects on the go to take me well beyond the pearly gates.

How I'll get the time to build my country kitchen in my country cottage I just don't know.

And if it doesn't get built... who cares. I'll just be enjoying every single Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• gmax137
    replied
    Originally posted by john b View Post
    I like to be thankful of people that still work and pay In to SS.
    You're welcome!

Leave a comment:

• AD5MB
    replied
    you lose track of the lesser holidays. you don't know what day it is. people ask you, what are your plans for the long weekend? dude, it's all weekend.

keep a dozen projects going, and spread the budget across all of them, so you always have something you're waiting for, something arriving, and something to do.

you are past three meals a day. a small breakfast, non fattening, not unhealthy snacks five times during the day, a modest dinner. you are no longer at: work hard, take a group break, fuel up,

Leave a comment:

• I make chips
    replied
    I retired about 5 years ago. Wifey did last year. She's having a hard time understanding when I mention almost daily that today is Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    Couple of days ago I walked to a local restaurant for some breaky. As I'm sitting waiting, I realize I don't know what day it is- so I get out of my chair and walk over to a table with 3 older women sitting at it. At first they were looking at me like 'ok, what's with this guy'- then I say I'm just wondering what day it is. They all instantly identify and start cackling their own stories. Turns out it was Thursday, for all it mattered anyway.

Then yesterday I had a craving for a milkshake. I knew of only two places that made a shake the old fashioned way, and one of those had closed due to the 'vid. I pulled into the parking lot of the other place, and surprise- they were closed. With my mind now having a bit of a software malfunction, I resign myself to just having ice cream instead, I head over to a place that had just posted an ad on faceplant, and I realized I used to work with that guy. Over I go- and they're closed. On my way around, I instinctively looked at businesses where I frequent, and see them all closed. Now I'm annoyed- I didn't hear an air raid siren or anything, and I didn't catch any directives from Bonnie Henry regarding stay home or go to jail, so what was going on? Turns out it was Sunday- nothing unusual.

Give me a campsite somewhere for more than a few days and I won't even know what month it is- how's that for retirement freedom-

Leave a comment:

• I make chips
    replied
    The old joke:

Wife is bitching at me you were sitting around and didn't do anything yesterday and why are you just sitting around today.

Me: Wasn't done.

Leave a comment:

• Baz
    replied
    I should have retired 18 moths ago but the gov't extended statutory slaving by a year to pay for the parasites who don't work. Then I got an extension 'cos I thought the extra 6 months would buy a whole workshop. Then It's been so much more relaxed not having to commute during lockdown I have extended another year. Also will need the extra money to pay for my own phone/laptop/printing/internet when on my own resources.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X