Black and Decker's handy new feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black and Decker's handy new feature

Not! I needed to sand some shelves I'm building yesterday, but forgot my DeWalt random orbit sander at work. I didn't feeling going to get it and I remembered there was a B&D sander in the shed. It was new in the box, one I probably inherited from my father, so I thought I was all set. Took it out of the box, stuck a disc on it and started to sand, about 30 seconds in, it went bang and started sounding like it was grinding up gravel.

The handy new feature, was the dust collection can, that caught all of the diecast flywheel pieces after it blew
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

It's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye!!! bottom of the barrel crap, some works for while and some not,,, I trust them with my coffee pot, My old B&D just shelled out it's heating element after about 10 years so WTF for 20 bucks I did buy a second...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      It's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye!!! bottom of the barrel crap, some works for while and some not,,, I trust them with my coffee pot, My old B&D just shelled out it's heating element after about 10 years so WTF for 20 bucks I did buy a second...
      I still have the little pea soup green B&D drill I bought when I was 10 or12?, still works, came from TG&Y cost all of $9.98 I think it was. There was a time when even cheap tools were good.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

I still have the little pea soup green B&D drill I bought when I was 10 or12?, still works, came from TG&Y cost all of $9.98 I think it was. There was a time when even cheap tools were good.
        Holey crap you remember TG&Y ?? man, those were the days... thought I was the only one who remembers when even cheap tools were useful (Dunlap)
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Sure, but when a drill was $9.98 was a cup of coffee only 5 cents?
          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

After about 15 years I'm still using my B&D, single cup coffee maker. Makes good coffee with no waste and I don't have to buy those expensive coffee cartridges. The only real problem I have had with it is forgetting to place a cup in it. A couple of times my office file cabinet and floor got a nice, hot cup of coffee. I made up a poem:

Water, filter, coffee, CUP,
            Close the lid and start her up!
            Add your sweetener err it steams,
            You'll have the coffee of your dreams!

I haven't forgotten the cup since I made that up.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Holey crap you remember TG&Y ?? man, those were the days... thought I was the only one who remembers when even cheap tools were useful (Dunlap)
              TG&Y is? Some type of department store?

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

TG&Y is? Some type of department store?
                Yeah, at least in my neck of the woods... poor mans version of K-mart. When I started working "for real" (W2 taxes) and I thought I could live like a king on $3.50 an hour, it was like a kid in a candy store when I went to Sears Craftsman... I counted every penny for those like they were snap-on. Almost memorized the catalog.
                25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

I got a 8" Dunlap table saw and a 6" Dunlap Jointer I'm restoring right now. Not the greatest, but very useable, much better than todays Chinese plastic.

Yes, I remember TG&Y, also Murphy Mart, Montgomery Ward, Rexall Drugs and K&B drugs https://youtu.be/EswxjA2WHyA?t=20

My favorite, now long gone however was our old time hardware and dry goods store. It was in business from 1910 to 2004, they still had a hitching post out back for customers who came to town on horseback.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                    Sure, but when a drill was $9.98 was a cup of coffee only 5 cents?
                    If you were buying a breakfast, most places it was included with the meal. Police, Fire and Bus Drivers got their thermos filled for free too.

Comment

I remember when coffee went from 10c to 12c. A lot of the power tools were a bare aluminum finish. I still see them at garage sales and thrift shops, priced at about what they must have cost new. Worn out, but presumably still running. I never brought anything like that home, except for what I inherited from my dad.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                      X