X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this lathe any good?

I wonder about this,

​​​​​​https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...179&acctid=624

I had a smaller Enco about that vintage for about 20 yrs. Is it serviceable, will it make accurate parts? Yes. Is it a like a Monarch or Mori Seiki..No.

Comment

It met the specification for a specific government contract. It was probably inspected at delivery.
      What are your concerns?

Comment

It WAS........

The shreds of plastic hanging over it, and the dark color of the normally shiny ways suggest that storage has not been helpful to its condition. It would take a personal view to be sure.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Yeah, Enco is good. But you might want to see it in person because of the way the govt "stores" things. My old job had one of those lathes being used 24x7 to repair chemical pumps, it can hold the size you want just fine. Pretty much the same thing as the newer Taiwan machines that Grizzle and Jet are selling.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

The ways on that thing look like they could be rusted to the point of heavily pitted. I would not touch it without an in person inspection first.

Comment

Can anyone see main motor hp and dia ?

Comment

Take your Geiger counter with you when you go to inspect it
                “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                  I'm gonna guess at 5HP judging by the overall size of the machine... looks to be a well-built 14x40 or there about.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                    Ad said 7.5 with a 3 1/8" spindle bore. That is money right there.
                    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Those are pretty nice lathes.
                      It looks longer than 40" between centers to me, but the length they give aligns with the length of the 40" model in my 2009 Enco catalog.
                      The 3 1/8" spindle bore 40" model lists as a 111-1450 and claims 220v only, and 5hp, 4,016lbs, and cost $9k at that time. As noted, the listing and nameplate say 7 1/2hp and 230/460V from the factory.
                      I imagine the steady and follower rests are long gone.

Looks like you can download a manual here:
                      https://enco-lathe-manuals.blogspot....downloads.html

Comment

It looks like it might have been in a fire to me!

$4000 for a new unused Enco would be a steal, but its a lot for one which looks to have serious issues. i bet the vendor won't be helpful telling whats happened to it, or taking extra photos.
                        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Unless (even if?) "AS IS" is a standard disclaimer they put on everything, I'd want to know why. "New" just means "never run". Does not mean "never abused".
                          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

You would have to see the lathe to find out if the ways were rusty, or coated with a thick preservative.

Did anyone notice the "made in China" on the side?
                            Last edited by old mart; 04-26-2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                              It WAS........

The shreds of plastic hanging over it, and the dark color of the normally shiny ways suggest that storage has not been helpful to its condition. It would take a personal view to be sure.
                              Originally posted by junkaddict View Post
                              The ways on that thing look like they could be rusted to the point of heavily pitted. I would not touch it without an in person inspection first.
                              When I look at that photo blown up in a separate computer window I see rust. No way that there's any preservative coatings. The chuck and its jaws are heavily rusted as are the lead screw and feed drive shafts. That thing needs a very, very careful up close inspection. If moisture got into the headstock those bearings and gears could be trashed too. That thing is a major restoration project based on those photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X