No announcement yet.

Is this lathe any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would call it $1,000 MAXIMUM. And *they* load it.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
      I would call it $1,000 MAXIMUM. And *they* load it.
      One thousand? It's Georgia, not a chance. You might be able to get them (city) to load it.

Comment

Several of you said that is rust, but I made my way over there looking to find scrummy kosmoline.
        I said earlier that it is not a 3 1/8 bore MT7, 14 x 40.
        We are both correct.
        That really is rust, and it really isn't 14 x 40.
        It is still sitting on it's shipping pallet, never used, never had the plastic ripped off it, never turned on, power never hooked up.
        but the ways are rusted to crap. it's in a metal shed type building, no ends on the building.
        It got a 3 jaw, steady rest and faceplate, all I could find.
        Not a 14 x 40 , but more like a 20 x 80 gap bed
        model 328-1315

​​​​​​No wonder the water bill is so high, such a waste of money by the Water Company.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210428_090223.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	1940584

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210428_090145.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	1940585

it's this one:
        ​​​​​​https://www.mscdirect.com/product/de...rItem=64280282
        Last edited by Ringo; 04-28-2021, 01:41 PM.

Comment

What a shame, still your number one eyeball was the only way to be sure about it.

Comment

Unreal. Another fine example of our tax dollars at work.

Comment

But you can bet they saved all the $25 (new) office chairs under carefully maintained cover. This is such a usual thing that I believe it must be intentional, done for reasons I have no clue about.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Chuck is heavily rusted and with that being clearly the case I'm thinking that the dark motley looking brown on the ways and carriage travel rack is also rust. I'm sure it can be "saved" but there would be forever "oil retention pitting" in the ways.

Also the OPENING BID is $4K and you can buy a brand new similar size for $5K to $6K. And what about other bits and pieces? I see a face plate but where are the fixed and traveling steady rests?

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Obviously they had been reading forums like this and came to believe that rusty old iron really is more desirable that a new lathe from Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                    Chuck is heavily rusted and with that being clearly the case I'm thinking that the dark motley looking brown on the ways and carriage travel rack is also rust. I'm sure it can be "saved" but there would be forever "oil retention pitting" in the ways.

Also the OPENING BID is $4K and you can buy a brand new similar size for $5K to $6K. And what about other bits and pieces? I see a face plate but where are the fixed and traveling steady rests?

Read Ringo's post 33. He's actually seen it. A new one seems to be around $17k
                    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Well, it was never nice, it's from China, CommieNazi.

Comment

If you don't like Chinese machine tools perhaps this lathe might appeal?

Click image for larger version

Name:	F%C3%A1brica_m%C3%A1quinas-herramienta_Huich%C3%B3n_%281%29.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1940829

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
                          Read Ringo's post 33. He's actually seen it. A new one seems to be around $17k
                          DOH! My mistake for only reading about the first 2/3's of the posts. I usually read to the end. Colour me
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Still be good for welding or repair shop, maybe a bit lower price.. still can be usefull..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                              Still be good for welding or repair shop, maybe a bit lower price.. still can be usefull..
                              Yeah, you can weld the work while it is still mounted in the chuck and not worry about the ways....

Comment

Some guys get tired of paying thru the nose, for non precision bushings and bosses.. great lathe for that, most little ones cant drill big holes.
                                also good for die head use or bigger tapping..

Comment

Working...
                                X