Is this lathe any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Hah, I remember going to a fab shop to lookat a lathe, north shore in Vancouver.
    they were building a pir of beams, similar to that , 150 or 200 feet long.. ..... the longest drawings i have ever seen.. the guy said a mile of weld in each one..
    they were the ramp, for I think a smelter build or refit up north, had to be long enough for ship to shore, and adjust for the tide to be useablr 24 hrs per day..
    Last edited by 754; 05-01-2021, 03:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by polaraligned View Post

Yeah, you can weld the work while it is still mounted in the chuck and not worry about the ways....
    It would be perfect for a fab shop, we wouldn't have to use an iron worker as weight when straightening beams

Leave a comment:

replied
    Some guys get tired of paying thru the nose, for non precision bushings and bosses.. great lathe for that, most little ones cant drill big holes.
    also good for die head use or bigger tapping..

Leave a comment:

• polaraligned
    replied
    Originally posted by 754 View Post
    Still be good for welding or repair shop, maybe a bit lower price.. still can be usefull..
    Yeah, you can weld the work while it is still mounted in the chuck and not worry about the ways....

Leave a comment:

replied
    Still be good for welding or repair shop, maybe a bit lower price.. still can be usefull..

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
    Read Ringo's post 33. He's actually seen it. A new one seems to be around $17k
    DOH! My mistake for only reading about the first 2/3's of the posts. I usually read to the end. Colour me

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    If you don't like Chinese machine tools perhaps this lathe might appeal?

Click image for larger version

Name:	F%C3%A1brica_m%C3%A1quinas-herramienta_Huich%C3%B3n_%281%29.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1940829

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Well, it was never nice, it's from China, CommieNazi.

Leave a comment:

• Richard P Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    Chuck is heavily rusted and with that being clearly the case I'm thinking that the dark motley looking brown on the ways and carriage travel rack is also rust. I'm sure it can be "saved" but there would be forever "oil retention pitting" in the ways.

Also the OPENING BID is $4K and you can buy a brand new similar size for $5K to $6K. And what about other bits and pieces? I see a face plate but where are the fixed and traveling steady rests?

Read Ringo's post 33. He's actually seen it. A new one seems to be around $17k

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Obviously they had been reading forums like this and came to believe that rusty old iron really is more desirable that a new lathe from Asia.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Chuck is heavily rusted and with that being clearly the case I'm thinking that the dark motley looking brown on the ways and carriage travel rack is also rust. I'm sure it can be "saved" but there would be forever "oil retention pitting" in the ways.

Also the OPENING BID is $4K and you can buy a brand new similar size for $5K to $6K. And what about other bits and pieces? I see a face plate but where are the fixed and traveling steady rests?

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    But you can bet they saved all the $25 (new) office chairs under carefully maintained cover. This is such a usual thing that I believe it must be intentional, done for reasons I have no clue about.

Leave a comment:

• polaraligned
    replied
    Unreal. Another fine example of our tax dollars at work.

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    What a shame, still your number one eyeball was the only way to be sure about it.

Leave a comment:

• Ringo
    replied
    Several of you said that is rust, but I made my way over there looking to find scrummy kosmoline.
    I said earlier that it is not a 3 1/8 bore MT7, 14 x 40.
    We are both correct.
    That really is rust, and it really isn't 14 x 40.
    It is still sitting on it's shipping pallet, never used, never had the plastic ripped off it, never turned on, power never hooked up.
    but the ways are rusted to crap. it's in a metal shed type building, no ends on the building.
    It got a 3 jaw, steady rest and faceplate, all I could find.
    Not a 14 x 40 , but more like a 20 x 80 gap bed
    model 328-1315

​​​​​​No wonder the water bill is so high, such a waste of money by the Water Company.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210428_090223.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	1940584

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210428_090145.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	1940585

it's this one:
    ​​​​​​https://www.mscdirect.com/product/de...rItem=64280282
    Last edited by Ringo; 04-28-2021, 01:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X