A simple project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A simple project.

I have a collet set for my South bend 9A, but I don't have the rack for it. So, time for a little project!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3092357D-1893-4969-9A5E-52FB1AEDB914.jpeg
Views:	543
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	1940397

Looks nice. Mine are in holes in a cardboard bin. No where near so nice.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Hi Jerrythepilot,

I too have a Southbend 9a and would like to have the setup you have for collets. Can you share any information on the spindle holder that you have pictured? That looks like quite a piece of work to hold the collets. I understand the tube and the use of (is it) 5C collets that require a different clamp in the spindle, but I still have not got my head around the design of the spindle holder that is required.

Next question is did you make it or was it purchased?

TX
      Mr fixit for the family
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrythepilot View Post
        I have a collet set for my South bend 9A, but I don't have the rack for it. So, time for a little project!
        That's not a just simple little project. That's a job well done. Looks nice!

Comment

Nice job. I always find the greatest satisfaction in the simplest projects like this. The little organizational projects you can just never seem to find the time to do, but once you do, you end up wondering how you ever did without them.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Chris, these pieces came with the lathe, they're 3C collets. This first piece provides the angle to close the collet.

Then the collet slides into it, the end of the collet is threaded to accommodate the drawbar.

The final knurled part is a thread protector for the spindle, and the collet closer just rests against it.

I hope this is what you were asking about. If I can provide any more info please let me know.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrythepilot View Post
              Thanks everyone! Chris, these pieces came with the lathe, they're 3C collets. This first piece provides the angle to close the collet.

Then the collet slides into it, the end of the collet is threaded to accommodate the drawbar.

The final knurled part is a thread protector for the spindle, and the collet closer just rests against it.

I hope this is what you were asking about. If I can provide any more info please let me know.

Jerry
              Common on those thread protectors to have a couple of small hole drilled around the knurled part to accept a hook spanner. This helps to remove the collet adapter from the spindle taper by unthreading the protector against the adapter and using the spanner wrench to gain leverage.

Comment

Yep, you're right, there are oblong holes and a spanner. I forgot about the spanner, I need to mill a slot for it!
                Thanks,
                Jerry

Comment

Nice! I have the 3C collets too, but no holder -- they sit in a box.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                  X