Shooting Star Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting Star Technology

I'm sure many of you have had contact with Bill Chernoff, owner of Shooting Star Technology DROs, whether as a customer or though meeting him at Cabin Fever or other hobby shows.

Sadly, Bill passed away this month. His obituary can be viewed here: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...rnoff-10144765
    George
    Traverse City, MI

Thank You George for the posting, even though it is a sad one.
    Bill always had a smiling face at NAMES and Cabin Fever during my visits there
    He was truly a vendor that had Home Shop Machinists in mind, both with his products and his attitude towards the hobby.
    He was a early provider of DRO's for the home hobbyists , long before the Chinese onslaught
    Will miss that genuine laugh and friendship

Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

I never met him, but it is sad that he is no longer with us.

May God bless him.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I never had the opportunity to meet Mr. Chernoff, but by reading some of the comments and tributes on his obit page he was surely well regarded... Jim

Comment

Ya, he and family attended the old PRIME shows here in western Oregon, back in the day. I had my first dro from them, and put it on my mill-drill. I did some decent work with that machine after the modifications, and additions. He asked for a couple photos of my install, he said he loved to see how different people solved the same problems. I always smiled when I saw the cartoon type ads in HSM.
          I cut it off twice; it's still too short
          Oregon, USA

Comment

I knew Bill personally, and was shocked and saddened to hear of his passing. Bill would religiously attend a gathering of helicopter nuts every year, in a bean field not far from Dayton, Ohio, which is where I met him. That event was held every year for decades IIRC, gathering as many as 50 helicopters or more (mostly experimental homebuilt types), and people from all over the world would attend.

I always enjoyed chatting with Bill about our shared interest in helicopters.

God Speed Bill.

Comment

I never met the man , but his DRO has served me well for a long time. My Google search for Shooting Star DRO doesn't turn up anything like a company website. Anyone know if SS DRO''s is still in business and will continue ?

Comment

God bless him.

Comment

I had a lathe DRO from them on my first lathe. Sold the lathe and kept the DRO, but never installed it on my new machine. Late 2020 I installed it on my mil, X&Y, I had a digital scale on the quill. Anyway, I couldn't find the manual and sent an email, and I received it via email within a day. The file is dated December 2020 on my laptop. It still works fine for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X