12 Volt Winch & AC Adapter Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Volt Winch & AC Adapter Power Supply

I've been thinking of getting one of these winches, maybe not this exact model but one similar to it. I plan on mounting it under my work bench in my shop on a small tripod that I will make.
    I want this to pull my 50 trailer mounted Genie lift into the shop. I have very limited space on either side of it, like 3" or so. I can drive it in under it's own power but it's next to impossible to steer it with that kind of accuracy. It's all over the place. If I mount the winch where I want the lift to end up it'll pull it straight in. All I will have to do is stick the nose of the trailer in and let the winch do the rest.
    Big question here is looking at the specs of these winches with zero load the motor pulls 15 amps. Full load which is the max pulling load it pulls 180 amps.
    I find it hard to believe that some small 12 volt ATV battery is capable of supplying that kind of power. So If I were to make an AC power supply to out put 12 volts and supply enough current what would I need for a transformer and filtering caps, etc. ?

I only found one company that makes a couple models that run on AC but they are pricey.

https://superwinch.com/collections/2...00-12v-1130220

JL...............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 04-29-2021, 12:42 PM.

An ATV battery can put out a lot of current but not for very long, just long enough to get the ATV out of the mud hole and since the winch won't have to pull at its full capacity, it won't be needing 180 amps either. Use an automotive battery and hook a charger up to it to help keep its voltage up and be prepared to wait while it recovers in the middle of the pull. You also might be waiting for the winch motor to cool down too.

Comment

Originally posted by RMinMN View Post
      An ATV battery can put out a lot of current but not for very long, just long enough to get the ATV out of the mud hole and since the winch won't have to pull at its full capacity, it won't be needing 180 amps either. Use an automotive battery and hook a charger up to it to help keep its voltage up and be prepared to wait while it recovers in the middle of the pull. You also might be waiting for the winch motor to cool down too.
      This is what I was thinking too. It won't take more than a few hundred pounds of pulling force to bring this lift in. The biggest load will be the start of the pull when the trailer wheels are still on the grass and when the trailer wheels go over the garage door threshold step. Once their in I can pull it by hand. It rolls pretty easy on a concrete floor.

I really didn't want to mess with a battery.

JL.............

Comment

Something is wrong here. I've seen a narrow scissor lift enter end exit through a standard width commercial door dozens of times and never bump the door frame.
        Why not mount the winch on the lift and use the lift's battery to power it?

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
          Something is wrong here. I've seen a narrow scissor lift enter end exit through a standard width commercial door dozens of times and never bump the door frame.
          Why not mount the winch on the lift and use the lift's battery to power it?
          No, the only thing that's wrong is you confusing a 21 ft long trailer mounted lift with an 8 or 10 ft. long scissors lift.

The one in the video is like mine, only I removed the flimsy trailer jack front wheel and made my own swivel caster mount with two turf tires. It can be driven from in the basket or out side of it by removing the control box.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...vb_kft0zLFd4_T

JL................

Comment

12V battery and charger is the simplest and most cost effective route. Think of the battery as a large current buffer that can power the winch for the short amount of time it's needed and then refilled slowly over time.

For 12VDC power supply capable of drawing over 100A you might be able to adapt a high end PC power supply, otherwise you're looking at fairly large $$ and something as bulky as a 12V car battery.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
              No, the only thing that's wrong is you confusing a 21 ft long trailer mounted lift with an 8 or 10 ft. long scissors lift.

The one in the video is like mine, only I removed the flimsy trailer jack front wheel and made my own swivel caster mount with two turf tires. It can be driven from in the basket or out side of it by removing the control box.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...vb_kft0zLFd4_T

JL................
              Okay, a one man boom lift. It's larger brethren are called condor lifts.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                12V battery and charger is the simplest and most cost effective route. Think of the battery as a large current buffer that can power the winch for the short amount of time it's needed and then refilled slowly over time.

For 12VDC power supply capable of drawing over 100A you might be able to adapt a high end PC power supply, otherwise you're looking at fairly large $$ and something as bulky as a 12V car battery.
                I didn't want to buy a battery for the few times that I use this during the summer months but it's looking like an AC power supply is going to be PIA to make.
                Now, if I could find and adapt an AC motor to mount to the winch that would solve the problem.
                Warn is the only mfg. that I've found that makes an AC model.

JL..............

Comment

If you want to go real cheap, an AC Lincoln buzz box from craiglist, plug it into 115V (normal wall outlet) will give you the current and voltage you need. I can find those old buzz boxes every day of the week for under $100. Add some beefy diodes if it doesn't already have them, and that'll power an ATV winch. Right around 12v out under load, amps basically unlimited for your application -- you won't fry the transformer at 1/2 load.

Comment

Just a thought. What about mounting the winch to the tongue of the trailer and bolt an anchor to the floor wherever the trailer has to be pulled to. The machine could power the winch, even with jumper cables since it only gets used a few times a year. Something better could be done as opposed to the quickie thing I did in the picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	winch anchor.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1940754

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                      I didn't want to buy a battery for the few times that I use this during the summer months but it's looking like an AC power supply is going to be PIA to make.
                      Now, if I could find and adapt an AC motor to mount to the winch that would solve the problem.
                      Warn is the only mfg. that I've found that makes an AC model.

JL..............
                      sounds like an unsolvable problem then!

Comment

Maybe one of the large "service station" battery chargers of the transformer type could be used to supply the 12VDC

Comment

$90? 120v 220lb capacity winch.
                          https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPN64Z9/

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                            If you want to go real cheap, an AC Lincoln buzz box from craiglist, plug it into 115V (normal wall outlet) will give you the current and voltage you need. I can find those old buzz boxes every day of the week for under $100. Add some beefy diodes if it doesn't already have them, and that'll power an ATV winch. Right around 12v out under load, amps basically unlimited for your application -- you won't fry the transformer at 1/2 load.
                            I know where I can get one of those cheap. It's worth looking into and sounds simple enough.
                            But the welder is set up to run 220V. If you wire it for 110v doesn't that only energize half the circuit ? Wouldn't something have to be rewired inside ??

JL.............

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post

sounds like an unsolvable problem then!
                              I'll solve it one way or another !

JL...........

Comment

Working...
                              X