Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doctor demo View Post
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1300-l...rol-62853.html

Just one example of an alternative to the 12 volt problem, other online and big box stores have similar items. Or you could go with a hand powered winch like used to load a boat on a trailer.

Steve
    That, or modify a boat trailer winch. Remove the crank handle and install a V belt pulley about 10" diameter. Mount to a base plate along with an approx. 1hp electric motor with a small pulley and you're on your way:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Win...tails=.reviews

That's how it's often done when building a winch to pull aircraft into a hangar. Just like the Genie lift an airplane is large and needs to be moved carefully through a door where there could be minimal side clearance, and they're sometimes awkward to steer. The winch in the above link is commonly used for aircraft as its drum is set up to handle small cable, and can hold about 50 feet of 1/4" cable. Often times small winches have a much smaller drum center, to be used with a flat strap. The small center can kink steel cable.

I've worked in shops before where there was a fairly powerful winch mounted to the back wall, facing the loading dock. Priceless tool when there's a large pallet or awkward thing to remove from a truck and the pavement at the dock pitches away from the building ever so slightly. A winch should be standard equipment in every shop.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
      I've been sitting here wondering this whole time, why not just side step all that and just get a freakin chain fall. Those work every time. No power required other than willpower. Or a come-along for that matter.
      Chain falls tend not to work too well in the horizontal position. I've used them that way in the past. Chain gets jammed up etc. Besides I need about 30' of cable from the stationary point (tripod) to the door.
      Even with the winch I may need to guide the front end as it's being pulled in. Can't do that with a chain fall. The winches all have hand held controls so I can guide or nudge the front end of the lift if needed with one hand and control the winch with the other.

JL.....

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post

That, or modify a boat trailer winch. Remove the crank handle and install a V belt pulley about 10" diameter. Mount to a base plate along with an approx. 1hp electric motor with a small pulley and you're on your way:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Win...tails=.reviews

That's how it's often done when building a winch to pull aircraft into a hangar. Just like the Genie lift an airplane is large and needs to be moved carefully through a door where there could be minimal side clearance, and they're sometimes awkward to steer. The winch in the above link is commonly used for aircraft as its drum is set up to handle small cable, and can hold about 50 feet of 1/4" cable. Often times small winches have a much smaller drum center, to be used with a flat strap. The small center can kink steel cable.

I've worked in shops before where there was a fairly powerful winch mounted to the back wall, facing the loading dock. Priceless tool when there's a large pallet or awkward thing to remove from a truck and the pavement at the dock pitches away from the building ever so slightly. A winch should be standard equipment in every shop.
        That's another good idea I hadn't thought of. A winch that will take about 30' of cable would do. I have a few motors kicking around the shop along with an assortment of pulleys. I make that work !. All I would need to do is get some kind of momentary switch that I could put on about 25' of cord to hold.
        I don't really need to buy a winch...... don't need the ratchet / lock assy. I could make a spool. All I would need to do is get the gear ratio right. The speed that most of these winches pull is about right.

JL.................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
          Chain falls tend not to work too well in the horizontal position. I've used them that way in the past. Chain gets jammed up etc. Besides I need about 30' of cable from the stationary point (tripod) to the door.
          Even with the winch I may need to guide the front end as it's being pulled in. Can't do that with a chain fall. The winches all have hand held controls so I can guide or nudge the front end of the lift if needed with one hand and control the winch with the other.

JL.....
          Hrm, I've never had any real problems with them like that, the only limiting thing about chainfalls is the short lift. I've had situations where I had to use 2 of them with multiple attachment points to move a load 15 feet, because the max length was 10 feet. I think it far easier to use a ratcheting come-along winch with a pair of 10-ft straps or chains in your case: drag the load 10 feet, remove one strap or chain and re-attach. Drag it another 10 feet, repeat etc until you have moved the entire 30 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
            I’m sure this winch would pull in your shop easily. Click image for larger version

Name:	AF279E72-71D2-4031-B4CB-E1A9C6F839BC.png
Views:	94
Size:	600.5 KB
ID:	1941080
            I have this same HF winch. Bought it basically new from a friend for $100.
            I have it above the scuttle hole going into the attic of my shop.
            So far I have lifted about 300 pounds with it, and it will not backdrive and
            let the load go down, even though it is planetary gearing. The motor is
            permanent magnet DC, so reversing is easy. I was super surprised at the
            good quality, seeing as it came from HF. I am very happy with it, pressing
            it into service as a hoist, something it was probably not meant for.
            But I am practical about it, derating it accordingly for what I am using it for.

-Doozer
            DZER

Comment

ATV winch $60 Remote control, or 120 volt one as above, Battery or jumper cables from car, tracks... angle bolted to floor and un bolted when done.
              Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Hrm, I've never had any real problems with them like that, the only limiting thing about chainfalls is the short lift. I've had situations where I had to use 2 of them with multiple attachment points to move a load 15 feet, because the max length was 10 feet. I think it far easier to use a ratcheting come-along winch with a pair of 10-ft straps or chains in your case: drag the load 10 feet, remove one strap or chain and re-attach. Drag it another 10 feet, repeat etc until you have moved the entire 30 feet.
                Well, some chain falls may work better in the horizontal position than others.
                I guess it depends on how the chain is fed and guided into it. Sometimes the chain jumps out of the sprocket and jams. PIA ! My chain fall has about 12' of lifting chain and about the same for the looped pulling chain. That's even too much for my 9' shop ceilings.
                I have though of cutting it and removing the excess shortening up the loop. Then the other issue is letting the chain out. That's not easy to do with the thing is laying on the floor.
                Some people have come up with some good ideas but in the end I think the easiest thing is to just buy an electric wench.

JL.............

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

I have this same HF winch. Bought it basically new from a friend for $100.
                  I have it above the scuttle hole going into the attic of my shop.
                  So far I have lifted about 300 pounds with it, and it will not backdrive and
                  let the load go down, even though it is planetary gearing. The motor is
                  permanent magnet DC, so reversing is easy. I was super surprised at the
                  good quality, seeing as it came from HF. I am very happy with it, pressing
                  it into service as a hoist, something it was probably not meant for.
                  But I am practical about it, derating it accordingly for what I am using it for.

-Doozer
                  I did look at that one. Being an HF item i was skeptical. You know how HF stuff tends to be. A friend of mine had one and it locked up solid after a short period of use. He said he never over loaded it !

So, since you have one........ you can fill me in.

I wouldn't think it or any winch would not back drive, that would make them basically useless if the load was able to slip.
                  Is there a quick release so you can pull the cable out fast or do you have to let it unwind under power?
                  I see the lever on the end of the drum. I assume it's for disengaging the drum from the gear train.

JL...............

Comment

Leave the lift outside with a 15 dollar blue tarp over it. Makes a stylish lawn ornament and a fine place for stray cats to get out of the weather.

Comment

If you insist on using a 12 volt winch then the battery and charger is going to be the least costly and most workable. When you look around at high current 12 volt supplies on Ebay I found that a 12v 100 amp supply is up around $200. And it's still not enough current for what you want. Or at least it might not be enough. But for the same cost as the power supply, which may or may not work for your needs, and the 12 volt winch you can buy any number of 1500 lb or more 110v cable hoists for vertical lifting.

And with one of those you could move it around for trailer parking or lifting heavy items as needed.

Or is the 12 volt idea already passe for this thread?

Looking on Amazon just as an indicator I see lots of lifting hoists (so no risk of spin back) with over 1000lbs ability for under $300. And quite a few that are under $200. I'm sure you have better things to do than try to re-invent the wheel by playing around with motorizing boat trailer winches.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                        That's another good idea I hadn't thought of. A winch that will take about 30' of cable would do. I have a few motors kicking around the shop along with an assortment of pulleys. I make that work !. All I would need to do is get some kind of momentary switch that I could put on about 25' of cord to hold.
                        I don't really need to buy a winch...... don't need the ratchet / lock assy. I could make a spool. All I would need to do is get the gear ratio right. The speed that most of these winches pull is about right.

JL.................
                        The ones used for aircraft have a pulley that's 8" diameter, sourced from McMasterCarr in place of the crank handle, and the motor pulley is 2 inches. They take a 4L, or A section belt. The winch I linked to is a two speed model. The pulley is slid on to the handle shaft far enough so that only free wheeling and the gear reduction speed are available. Using the winch gear reduction the cable moves at less than half walking speed. Slow enough to maintain control over things. The momentary push-button switch is mounted in a small electrical conduit box with enough cable (we just repurposed light duty outdoor extension cord) to reach the front of the plane to steer while winching. The winch's one way ratcheting feature is not utilized. That handle is always left in its neutral position. When the large pulley and shaft are slid out to engage the low speed of the winch there's enough of a mechanical advantage, or disadvantage depending on how you look at it, against the electric motor's inertia that as long as the low speed gears are engaged and the belt is on both pulleys the cable will not unspool. System works well.

Here is a link to the switch I use:

https://www.newark.com/carling-techn...49?ost=73k4049

Double checked, and the pulleys are 2" and 8" diameter. McMaster-Carr part numbers 6245K16 and 6245K56.

The motor spins at 1740 rpm.
                        Last edited by tom_d; 05-04-2021, 02:01 AM.

Comment

You perhaps have a fairly heavy riding tractor, zero turn etc. Why not just make a ball hitch and use the tractor. I'm sure there's a few why nots.

If it's a straight shot, yeah, one of those cheap 120 volt winches might be your best shot. **If you can steer it while in motion.

Comment

Working...
                          X