Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you look for when buying a used 4-jaw chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
    Aight, fair enough. Can't argue with that.
    Sometimes they are stupid long.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

This is a college kid that figured out this setup.
      Just for the record

-Doozer
      it looks like a kindergarden kid figured it out. you know what a boring head is for, right?

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post

it looks like a kindergarden kid figured it out. you know what a boring head is for, right?
        Actually, I originally though that looked pretty odd myself. But as I looked more at it, I got to thinking about how I would hold that on a milling table, and my answer was "in that spare big 4 jaw chuck I have!

So, I think it a very practical solution. Don't be freaked about the wire ties, they appear to be just "safeties", possibly helpers to assist getting it set up. The jaws do seem to have a good enough hold on it.
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Lol, I must have picked a sensative bone. You've been hella salt towards me lately haha.
          ​​​​
          There was zero flat or round spots on it. I did later bore it in the mill after I put a flat spot on it.
          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Hmm... maybe it's due to a language barrier but this seems rather harsh from someone who posted:

exactly, that really is the question. i think i spend 5 hours trying not to screw up. total spindle time into this was around 30 minutes. also i probably used to many tools: band saw, indexable face mill, slotting saw in the horizontal spindle and the shell mill. i could have done the v first (with the face mill) and then use an endmill for the slot.

anywas, it was a prototype for another 6 longer peices i want to make. the best solution would be to mill one long peice and cut it up. but how to hold 60 cm of stock?
            Did you ever figure out how to hold 60 cm of stock in your mill?

Your arguments against 4-jaw chucks make it clear that you're a hobbyist and not a pro. Which is great, because this is the home shop machinist forum and most of us are hobbyists... but maybe try not to be so condescending, yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

Hmm... maybe it's due to a language barrier but this seems rather harsh from someone who posted:

Did you ever figure out how to hold 60 cm of stock in your mill?

Your arguments against 4-jaw chucks make it clear that you're a hobbyist and not a pro. Which is great, because this is the home shop machinist forum and most of us are hobbyists... but maybe try not to be so condescending, yeah?
              Okay I appreciate the support, but did you really memorize the existance of a 9 year old post as ammunition? I'm impressed to say the least. Even I'm not that dedicated and I love to be right on the internet. However, I wasn't even machining 9 years ago (or I had just started) so needless to say a lot of skills can be gained in that time. Point still stands though.

Comment

I always say that if you can only have one chuck for your lathe, make it a 4 jaw independent.

Comment

o.k., i think this needs to be pointed out: that bracket (or whatever) in the 4-jaw is dangerous. you dont do stuff like that if there is another way.

as to the 4-jaws, it seems some members forget that the purpose of the forum is not to be right or wrong, but to hear different opinions and maybe get a new perspective on things (at least thats my view).

Comment

o.k., i think this needs to be pointed out: that bracket (or whatever) in the 4-jaw is dangerous. ........
                    Explain......

It would likely be dangerous at 500 rpm, but not so much at slow speeds, which is where sensible folks would run it.

You want dangerous, I got some videos for you.... of production operations in India/Pakistan.
                    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Okay I appreciate the support, but did you really memorize the existance of a 9 year old post as ammunition? I'm impressed to say the least. Even I'm not that dedicated and I love to be right on the internet. However, I wasn't even machining 9 years ago (or I had just started) so needless to say a lot of skills can be gained in that time. Point still stands though.
                      No I didn't memorize that exactly, but I do remember when he started posting on this forum (including, believe it or not, that thread) and, in the parlance of my people, he seems to have "grown too big for his britches" lately. On the other hand, it very well could be a language issue. I'm sure many of the things I've posted come across wrong to people in different regions.

I joined this forum when I was in high school. I learned a lot of from the guys here (sadly, a number have since passed away) and that made me pretty cocky in my younger days. Many people remarked how far ahead of my age I was and I thought I was real hot stuff for knowing what I did at the ripe ol' age of 20-21. Things are a lot different now. But I still I'm ahead for my age... trouble is I'm now a crusty old [email protected] or, as I tell my employees, an old man stuck in a younger man's body. I get real grumpy when I see some guy trolling people's posts (reference your graduation thread) and then claiming he's just offering a different perspective. I would point out that one can offer a different perspective without being intentionally provocative. Indeed, offering a different perspective in a well reasoned and respectful way is far more likely to yield a fruitful discussion than one liners. So I'm not supporting you as much as I am poking the bear and shaking my stick. You're a young rapscallion as far as I'm concerned... you use phrases like "hella salt", to which I say "get off my lawn, you dang kids"

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

No I didn't memorize that exactly, but I do remember when he started posting on this forum (including, believe it or not, that thread) and, in the parlance of my people, he seems to have "grown too big for his britches" lately. On the other hand, it very well could be a language issue. I'm sure many of the things I've posted come across wrong to people in different regions.

I joined this forum when I was in high school. I learned a lot of from the guys here (sadly, a number have since passed away) and that made me pretty cocky in my younger days. Many people remarked how far ahead of my age I was and I thought I was real hot stuff for knowing what I did at the ripe ol' age of 20-21. Things are a lot different now. But I still I'm ahead for my age... trouble is I'm now a crusty old [email protected] or, as I tell my employees, an old man stuck in a younger man's body. I get real grumpy when I see some guy trolling people's posts (reference your graduation thread) and then claiming he's just offering a different perspective. I would point out that one can offer a different perspective without being intentionally provocative. Indeed, offering a different perspective in a well reasoned and respectful way is far more likely to yield a fruitful discussion than one liners. So I'm not supporting you as much as I am poking the bear and shaking my stick. You're a young rapscallion as far as I'm concerned... you use phrases like "hella salt", to which I say "get off my lawn, you dang kids"
                        You have been on this forum for quite a day while indeed. About half your life then? That's impressive.

I've been a bit provocative in this thread, so I could understand him retorting in the same manner.

I don't need luck, it's easy. Sorry your daddy never taught you how to use them.
                        But it loses it's edge and humor after a bit.
                        I try to use language that will be understood here, but occasionally my "native" young folk tongue will emerge. :P And yes, I am a young rapscallion.. only time will change that.

Comment

Working...
                        X