Tormek T8 has me intrigued!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tormek T8 has me intrigued!

I am seriously thinking about buying a Tormek T8 sharpening machine. Do any of you all own one? I have built several belt grinders and even a small one just for my pocket knife. That uses the belts for a WorkSharp knife sharpener. It works but not perfect. Recently I was at a cabinet makers shop picking up a piece of furniture he made for me and noticed the Tormek by the sink. I asked him how he liked it and he said it was good and that most all apprentice carpenters in Germany learn to sharpen their tools on a Tormek so if you have employees you better have a Tormek. I whipped out my leatherman and asked him if it would work on it and he took it and on the normal blade he put a really sharp edge on it. He was really an artisan. His concentration and skills made it look easy. He didn't even use a jig just the support bar to rest his hands on. I wanted to go home and order one instantly.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Of course I went home and looked at a lot of videos on how to use the Tormek and thought maybe I could build one. Then I though, no, I have enough irons in the fire right now. So unless anyone tells me not to I will order one on Monday.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I've had one for around 3 years now,superb on woodworking tools. I've never had such sharp chisels and planes.
      I also got the drill grinding jig, it's a little awkward to set up,but gives great results.
      I later got a black silicon wheel (pricey) but i can get a fine edge on carbide tooling with it too.
      If you dont mind spending the money,you wont regret it,I dont !

Comment

Originally posted by Oilyneil View Post
        I've had one for around 3 years now,superb on woodworking tools. I've never had such sharp chisels and planes.
        I also got the drill grinding jig, it's a little awkward to set up,but gives great results.
        I later got a black silicon wheel (pricey) but i can get a fine edge on carbide tooling with it too.
        If you dont mind spending the money,you wont regret it,I dont !
        Thanks for the reply. I do a lot of leather work and sharp knives are essential. The thing about leather working knives is a convex angle to the apex works better on leather. That is the opinion of many very good leather workers. I know many saddle makers and they all say the same.

Comment

just be avare of how flimsy all the supports and accessories are.

Comment

I am a woodworker and only a "fixer" as far as machining goes. Tormeks are either loved or hated in my group of friends. This side of the pond a Tormek T8 is most of $800 American!! They will get things pretty sharp, but they are slow. It is a concave grind, not too handy for leather. Most of my serious furniture maker friends ($50,000 to $100,000 pieces) use something else, Japanese water stones, a modified belt sander, sandpaper on plate glass. Not too many use the Tormek system. I use a modified belt sander system that I make and sell. Easy to change grits and I have one belt the is coated with emery for honing.
            JMHO
            Peter
            Last edited by CPeter; 05-03-2021, 09:52 PM. Reason: Changed "convex" to "concave" Asleep when typing.
            Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

I have nothing but amusement to add. BF says a convex grind is the only way to go for leather, 2 posts later Peter says a convex grind is not too handy for leather. I have no idea and am not picking on anyone, just amused

Comment

I had to look up what a "Tormex-8" was and found that Amazon sells them, They look great but way over priced for me. After looking at all the different levels of the machine T-8 down through the T-2, I would be looking into buying the wheel and build the water container and motor drive. Looked like most of the different blade holders would be not too hard to build. But then after you buy a grinding wheel for several hundred dollars, you had better do it right.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                Oregon Coast

Comment

Some people who have them use the "Jet" wheel as the seem to think it is better.
                  Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by Captain K View Post
                    I have nothing but amusement to add. BF says a convex grind is the only way to go for leather, 2 posts later Peter says a convex grind is not too handy for leather. I have no idea and am not picking on anyone, just amused
                    No amusement sorry! Peter just made a mistake and then corrected it. We both agree on the convex for leather knives.

Comment

I will make a similar rest and knife holding jigs for my belt grinder. That way I can use a slack belt setup to get my convex shape for leather and a platen setup for other knives. Best of both worlds. And I don't have to spend a fortune on different grinding wheels for the Tormek. I will let you know how it works out.

Comment

Blackforest---You and I never seem to have a problem getting rid of our money. I go running off, tilting at windmills and spending the Rupnow Retirement funds on machinery I really don't need to build things I really don't need. But what the heck---I've worked 55 years to get to this point. Whatever you and I buy, we deserve it!!!---Brian
                        Brian Rupnow
                        Design engineer
                        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I like a wet grinder for some things, I don't have a tiny tormek though but a 50x10 cm grindstone. But overall the belt grinder is my most used tool for sharpening

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                            Blackforest---You and I never seem to have a problem getting rid of our money. I go running off, tilting at windmills and spending the Rupnow Retirement funds on machinery I really don't need to build things I really don't need. But what the heck---I've worked 55 years to get to this point. Whatever you and I buy, we deserve it!!!---Brian
                            My wife also doesn't have a problem getting rid of my money! That isn't really fair of me to say that as when she mentions either a horse or some other big ticket item I am usually the one telling her, "what are you waiting for!"

Comment

There's two threads about wood tool sharpening. I wrote up my thoughts about why I bought my own Tormek and why I continue to smile at how smart I was over in Post #3 in the other thread.
                              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X