Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What differences keep .22 blank-powered nail guns from being classified as firearms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chipmaker4130
    replied
    The piston on a .22 nailer is much bigger than a .22 slug, so even if you fired one through it there wouldn't be much force behind it.

Leave a comment:

• What differences keep .22 blank-powered nail guns from being classified as firearms?

I'm thinking about making a line launcher powered by .22 blanks by modifying a used single shot rifle. I've noticed that the blanks for the nail gun have a short section that fits in the standard .22 barrel, then a slightly smaller diameter section, and then the crimped end. I haven't examined a nail gun, but I'm guessing the barrel is bored with a step that prevents a standard cartridge from being inserted all the way. Is that correct? Would pressing a properly machined sleeve into the barrel work? Is that something that may only be done by a gunsmith? Is there something else that would need to be done?

The city has an ordnance against discharging any type of firearm, but I'm told nail guns aren't classified as firearms. I'm just looking for info before going to the city officials to make sure I don't make or use something that's illegal.
Working...
X