Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craftsman 351 1" Belt Grinder - Rubber tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gazz
    replied
    I believe there was someone on the Practical Machinist site that was selling wheels for these. I did buy one for my Rockwell but it was years ago. It's good that the Craftsman wheels are metal.

Leave a comment:

• lugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
    If the 42" belt fits okay, and there's enough travel in the adjustment to tighten the belt, you're good to go! If not, then the wheels got too small, lost the outer layer.
    Tim, the sander the OP is talking about did not have a rubber tire, and the only tension is a spring loaded arm with no adjustment.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Clarke
    replied
    If the 42" belt fits okay, and there's enough travel in the adjustment to tighten the belt, you're good to go! If not, then the wheels got too small, lost the outer layer.

Leave a comment:

• lugnut
    replied
    I have one of the Craftsman #351 226110 1" X42" belt sanders that I bought about 15 years ago at a yard sale and it has 3 aluminum wheels, no rubber tires. After about 5 years of service the electric motor let ALL the smoke out, so I adapted treadmill motor to it. I like the variable speed ability. I do have belt slippage, and need to make a stronger belt tensioning system of some sort, or maybe a rubber tire, but as it still works as is, it is a low priority mod. I think I might have a manual for it some where, I will look.

Leave a comment:

• Hal
    replied
    I thought someone on this web sight was a scorce for replacement wheel for this size grinder.
    Must be another forum.

Hal

Leave a comment:

• Joel
    replied
    Didn't see one for that exact model, but perhaps one of these is similar.

From this page,
    https://www.ereplacementparts.com/cr...84_162878.html
    It looks to be the same as this one:
    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=4776

Here is a different style, if my above assumption is incorrect:
    https://usermanual.wiki/Craftsman/35...065799129/view

I see no indication of tires on any that I saw. Does the top wheel have any crown to it?

Leave a comment:

• Gazz
    replied
    Excellent! Thank you folks!

Leave a comment:

• Bented
    replied
    The shop where I currently work has 8 belt grinders, most are 1" wide used for deburring, two that are 6" wide and a timesaver that uses 18" wide belts, not a single one of them has rubber/polymer wheels, all the wheels are steel.

Aside from the timesaver I do not know that it makes a difference when freehand grinding.

Leave a comment:

• Gazz
    replied
    Thanks for the reply! Yes, the whole number is 351-226110 and I also use my Rockwell 1" grinder frequently - I bought this because it has the disc sander, table and miter gauge with it.

Leave a comment:

• Joel
    replied
    Your part number should be 351.xxxxxx, so try and get the whole number and maybe we can find a manual.
    My Craftsman 2x42 has 3 crowned aluminum wheels - no tires, FWIW. It is perhaps the most used tool in the shop.

Leave a comment:

• Gazz
    started a topic Craftsman 351 1" Belt Grinder - Rubber tires?

Craftsman 351 1" Belt Grinder - Rubber tires?

I picked up a Craftsman 1x42 belt grinder at a yard sale recently and wonder if there was rubber tires on the various wheels. The larger top wheel had remnants of some kind of black gooey material as did the drive wheel. I tried to find a manual online that would have a parts breakdown but got into a site that told me my PC was infected and I had to call a phone number and pay to give me back control of the system! My other Rockwell 1x42 has plastic wheels with no tires but my larger 2" belt grinder has tires on all four wheels. Do I need tires and is there a source for tires for these machines? Thanks for any help!
Working...
X