This is Like a Bad Crack Habbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Like a Bad Crack Habbit

Seriously. I thought the tools from my years as a mechanic were expensive. I find myself constantly perusing the local for sale ads, and dragging home things I never knew I wanted or needed. I always seem to need a piece of tooling I don't have. I do love making things, but good grief, I should have picked bird watching as my golden years hobby.

Had a conversation last night about an upcoming project and mentioned I needed a tube bender and will probably make one. Wife said, I though you had a bender out there. Yeah, it's a BAR bender (hossfeld clone), not a TUBE bender. . I've been pretty good the last couple months at being able to make due with what I have, but as always, there are projects lurking around the fringe just looking to suck whatever shop money you had built up right back out. At least the last purchase is earning it's keep already.

Comment

Yes JA, it is really that bad. Sorry, but no words of encouragement. You put on the hip waders and stepped directly into it just like the rest of us!

Dan, I made a couple of "U" grooved rollers to let me bend smaller size tubing. Depending on the tube size you might consider that as an option.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Maybe not so bad......

I have gotten less tolerant of junk as I go along. When I buy something now, it is something that adds a needed capability, and is good quality.
        2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
          Yes JA, it is really that bad. Sorry, but no words of encouragement. You put on the hip waders and stepped directly into it just like the rest of us!

Dan, I made a couple of "U" grooved rollers to let me bend smaller size tubing. Depending on the tube size you might consider that as an option.
          I almost made some round dies for it a while ago for another project, but ended up getting away with a conduit bender.... Not ideal, but didn't turn out too bad. Making a 4-5" dia round die with 1/2" and 3/4" u grooves is still on my list some day.....If I ever get around to it.

This project is a large gazebo from 1.5/2" tube, so my little PA hossfeld clone would not be up to the task of bending that. Plus I always love projects that justify the purchase/build of a new tool. I think a roller would be better for the arches I want anyway. Either way, It won't be a project until next year. We're upgrading the no dough patio I dug out last summer during the lockdown layoff, and a new larger gazebo is on the upgrade list for next year. This year we're just expanding the patio bigger, and building a retaining wall. Might get to it this fall, but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
            Had a conversation last night about an upcoming project and mentioned I needed a tube bender and will probably make one. Wife said, I though you had a bender out there. Yeah, it's a BAR bender (hossfeld clone), not a TUBE bender. . I've been pretty good the last couple months at being able to make due with what I have, but as always, there are projects lurking around the fringe just looking to suck whatever shop money you had built up right back out. At least the last purchase is earning it's keep already.
            I had a Hossfeld until about 10 years ago, it did a nice job on steel tubing as long as the wall thickness/bend radius ratio was not extreme.
            If the radii are small make or buy a mandrel tube bender.

Comment

IF you think you are in trouble then spare a thought for me.
              I met and married the only woman member of Toronto Society of Model Engineers.
              She and I are enablers for each other.
              Last month alone brought an antique sewing machine, a twin cylinder compressor,a brand new small bandsaw,a model steam ship,a small bench press .a heavy duty slow turning hand held electric drill, and a small working loom into our home.
              Mostly we buy secondhand from Kijiji,Maxsold, Craigslist, other club members and friends.
              We are never bored, and hope and expect to live many more years, finish some projects and leave our family lots of unfinished projects to carry on with.
              Regards David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                Maybe not so bad......

I have gotten less tolerant of junk as I go along. When I buy something now, it is something that adds a needed capability, and is good quality.
                This.

I don't have time to mess with cheap crap.
                12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                Index "Super 55" mill
                18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                24" State disc sander

Comment

Tell us, What is a bad crack habit really like?

Give us an analogy. Like buying machines or tooling. You must have experience.

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post

The opposite? A good crack habit? Can't be any such thing.

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post

I have not had a crack habit myself, but I do have a sister who was a life long drug addict and died recently. Lots of addiction and alcohol abuse history in my family tree. My screen name comes from my wife calling me that during an argument one time. We were arguing about all the pieces of junk I bring home, and unfinished projects laying around. I have been going to estate and yard sales literally since I was 16, and I guess that is how I satiate my addictive personality. Obviously, unlike a crack addict, I have things to show for it, but it's the obsessive planning and purchasing of new tooling and whatever else that I can absolutely get carried away with.

Comment

First thing to do is embrace your addiction. Second, buy more tools or junk. Third ignore anyone that tries to tell you you have a problem. They are wrong. They are jealous that you have a direction and a passion for something. If you want a tool then you NEED that tool. Simple.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post

I have not had a crack habit myself, but I do have a sister who was a life long drug addict and died recently. Lots of addiction and alcohol abuse history in my family tree. My screen name comes from my wife calling me that during an argument one time. We were arguing about all the pieces of junk I bring home, and unfinished projects laying around. I have been going to estate and yard sales literally since I was 16, and I guess that is how I satiate my addictive personality. Obviously, unlike a crack addict, I have things to show for it, but it's the obsessive planning and purchasing of new tooling and whatever else that I can absolutely get carried away with.
                          I think the term you are trying to grasp is Hoarder?

A bad crack habit would manifest as turning to Bang U Good, Ali Distress, CCC, etc., as the source for any new tool or tooling need.
                          Last edited by reggie_obe; 05-05-2021, 09:34 AM.

Comment

^ CCC? What's CCC. Somewhere else I can buy junk I don't need? And what is this possible source for stuff I put in a drawer for safe keeping then forget about. C'mon, fess up....

Comment

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
                              ^ CCC? What's CCC. Somewhere else I can buy junk I don't need? And what is this possible source for stuff I put in a drawer for safe keeping then forget about. C'mon, fess up....
                              Cheap Crap from China

Comment

Working...
                              X