No announcement yet.

This is Like a Bad Crack Habbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be worse. People will spend $200,000 on ATV's and a hauler . Same for a motor home, or a boat. Hard to put a price on a good time. The Shop IS the ultimate MAN CAVE !

Comment

Sheesh.... you all talking about home shops and using numbers like that?

I may have 5 grand in the shop. Maybe. I don't have the price of every bit of tooling written down. And for that total, I have two of many things and three of others. Two mills, two shapers, three drill presses, three lathes, several grinders, I don't know how many full toolboxes, and so on.

Seventy five grand? Eh? I'd not know what to spend that on, if I wanted to. Some would have to go for an outbuilding to put it in, so as to make up the total.

Now, if I was setting up a commercial shop, yeah, that much would go by in a hurry and I'd be looking for more.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        Sheesh.... you all talking about home shops and using numbers like that?

I may have 5 grand in the shop. Maybe. I don't have the price of every bit of tooling written down. And for that total, I have two of many things and three of others. Two mills, two shapers, three drill presses, three lathes, several grinders, I don't know how many full toolboxes, and so on.

Seventy five grand? Eh? I'd not know what to spend that on, if I wanted to. Some would have to go for an outbuilding to put it in, so as to make up the total.

Now, if I was setting up a commercial shop, yeah, that much would go by in a hurry and I'd be looking for more.
        5 grand hours? Sounds about right.

I know our shop wouldn't sell for $75 grand but it's probably had more than 5k put into it in terms of hours. I love going through stuff though. IMO stuff that hasn't been gone through isn't much use as it always F's up when you need it most. When you've gone through stuff you've solved all the niggling problems. Having to fix stuff in the middle of a project is the worst. Even when you've got a giant hunk of junk, if you've gone through it, good results can be had.

I could spend $75k pretty fast. Full set of twist drills up to 2.5"? Rotary broaches. Full set of counterbores. Under and over reamers for each size... 3j collet chuck... man that stuff adds up fast, even used.
        Last edited by The Metal Butcher; 05-11-2021, 02:52 AM.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

When looking at the value of my tools I have to think of the current replacement cost and not what they actually cost me. For Instance, my set of Expanding reamers 1/2 inch to 1 inch, American made, any of equivalent quality would now be several hundred dollars. I earned them for an afternoon.s work running a giant of a lathe nearly 40 yrs ago.
          My virtually pristine Southbend 9 inch came partially as a gift from my former employer in return for help moving and setting up a small milling machine for his home shop. With all that I have added to the machine( Chucks, collets, DC drive, dial gaugesQC toolpost). at a rough count I have $ 1200 in her. Could I buy an equivalent today for less than $ 8000, I think not.
          My shop certainly did not actually cost me $ 100.000, but I reckon that is about what it would cost to replicate it with new equipment of equal quality today.
          Fortunately I do not have to worry about its future, my wife and children will happily share and enjoy it after I am gone.
          Regards David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

5 grand hours? Sounds about right.

I know our shop wouldn't sell for $75 grand but it's probably had more than 5k put into it in terms of hours..........
            Nope, 5 grand buying equipment. That's about the total expended dollars on machines, and tools. There would be more spent on the machines counting the hourly rate to fix them up over time.

When I did outside work I charged a competitive shop rate, and based on that I am far beyond 5 grand in hourly, charging my time out at the regular rate for all my shop time.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
              ...My shop certainly did not actually cost me $ 100.000, but I reckon that is about what it would cost to replicate it with new equipment of equal quality today...
              I could not replicate my shop for $100k worth of new tools and machines. Just one lathe would cost most of that.

12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
              Index "Super 55" mill
              18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
              7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
              24" State disc sander

Comment

Originally posted by ezduzit View Post

I could not replicate my shop for $100k worth of new tools and machines. Just one lathe would cost most of that.
                beautiful lathe.

Are the Okuma manuals aren't even made anymore are they? Becomes meaningless discussion, replication,....e.g. assuming a DSG and 10ee were still made, it would cost me X to replicate my shop. But they aren't and I can't so all you can go by is what they are worth now. If you contacted a design build firm and said come and reverse engineer this lathe and make one exactly like it might be a million or more....so isn't that the real cost to replicate it? seems a bit meaningless.
                Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-11-2021, 12:56 PM.
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Nope, 5 grand buying equipment. That's about the total expended dollars on machines, and tools. There would be more spent on the machines counting the hourly rate to fix them up over time.

When I did outside work I charged a competitive shop rate, and based on that I am far beyond 5 grand in hourly, charging my time out at the regular rate for all my shop time.
                  I mean that was quite clear. I was modifying it into a humorous and truthful statement about how our shops take considerably more time generally than money.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

I mean that was quite clear. I was modifying it into a humorous and truthful statement about how our shops take considerably more time generally than money.
                    Got it!

And I think both of us have a bit of experience with what you refer to.............!!!

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Got it!

And I think both of us have a bit of experience with what you refer to.............!!!
                      Seeing your Rivett thread... indeed. 😎

Pigs and pokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

beautiful lathe.

Are the Okuma manuals aren't even made anymore are they?...
                        Thank you. I think it is beautiful , too, in its own way.

Manuals are available on eBay and from lathes.com, where I obtained mine. Cost me more, but I have used his website so much that I figured I'd pay it forward.
                        Index "Super 55" mill
                        24" State disc sander

Comment

Thank you. I think it is beautiful , too, in its own way.

Manuals are available on eBay and from lathes.com, where I obtained mine. Cost me more, but I have used his website so much that I figured I'd pay it forward.
                          lol I meant I don't think Okuma is making manual lathes anymore, i.e. there isn't a practical way to replicate what we have. A lot of the value is in just finding and procuring one in good condition, perhaps reconditioning or repairing, adding all the tooling et . We may never be able to monetize all that but its real if you set about to find another.
                          Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-11-2021, 08:08 PM.

Comment

duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

lol I meant I don't think Okuma is making manual lathes anymore, i.e. there isn't a practical way to replicate what we have. A lot of the value is in just finding and procuring one in good condition, perhaps reconditioning or repairing, adding all the tooling et . We may never be able to monetize all that but its real if you set about to find another.
                              Sorry I misunderstood. Of course it is difficult to find quality manual machines now. Many are resigned to accepting cheap imports, rather than dealing with the effort required in finding and refitting quality older machines. This was never a consideration for me. I wanted quality and so got the 12-1/2" x 20" Monarch 10EE and 18" x 51" Okuma LS. Sold my 12" x 35" Logan a couple weeks ago.
                              Index "Super 55" mill
                              24" State disc sander

Comment

Many are resigned to accepting cheap imports, rather than dealing with the effort required in finding and refitting quality older machines. This was never a consideration for me. I wanted quality and so got the 12-1/2" x 20" Monarch 10EE and 18" x 51" Okuma LS. .
                                Agreed. I've taken a similar path. Dean Smith & Grace, Monarch, Holbrook, Schaublin, Pultra, Levin, Boley etc. What seems really odd is comparing the percentage of used prices to new for the low cost imports vs the same ratio for developed world machines. In many instances they sell for 75% of new while pretty much anything from the developed world, comparable condition, is say 5-25% of what was new (be it run of mill or best of breed). I read a statement on another forum recently where the poster suggests a modern up date machine is more desirable. Seriously? I wonder if there's some Freudian reaction formation going on - changing ones beliefs to reduce anxiety

Comment

Working...
                                X